Horowitz report is damning for the FBI and unsettling for the rest of us

Mar 2018
Rosebud
And the left just ignores this.

The analysis of the report by Justice Department inspector general Michael Horowitz greatly depends, as is often the case, on which cable news channel you watch. Indeed, many people might be excused for concluding that Horowitz spent 476 pages to primarily conclude one thing, which is that the Justice Department acted within its guidelines in starting its investigation into the 2016 campaign of President Trump.

Horowitz did say that the original decision to investigate was within the discretionary standard of the Justice Department. That standard for the predication of an investigation is low, simply requiring "articulable facts." He said that, since this is a low discretionary standard, he cannot say it was inappropriate to start. United States Attorney John Durham, who is heading the parallel investigation at the Justice Department, took the unusual step to issue a statement that he did not believe the evidence supported that conclusion at the very beginning of the investigation.

... That threshold finding is then followed by the remainder of the report, which is highly damaging and unsettling. Horowitz finds a litany of false and even falsified representations used to continue the secret investigation targeting the Trump campaign and its associates.

This is akin to reviewing the Titanic and saying that the captain was not unreasonable in starting the voyage. The question is what occurred when the icebergs began appearing. Horowitz says that investigative icebergs appeared rather early on, and the Justice Department not only failed to report that to the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act court but removed evidence that its investigation was on a collision course with the facts.

The investigation was largely based on a May 2016 conversation between Trump campaign adviser George Papadopoulos and Australian diplomat Alexander Downer in London. Papadopolous reportedly said he heard that Russia had thousands of emails from Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton. That was viewed as revealing possible prior knowledge of the WikiLeaks release two months later, which was then used to open four investigations targeting the campaign and Trump associates. Notably, Democrats and the media lambasted Trump for saying the Justice Department had been "spying" on his campaign, and many said it was just an investigation into figures like Carter Page. Horowitz describes poorly founded investigations that included undercover FBI agents and a variety of different sources. What they really discovered is the main point of the Horowitz report.

From the outset, the Justice Department failed to interview several key individuals or vet critical information and sources in the Steele dossier. Justice Department officials insisted to Horowitz that they choose not to interview campaign officials because they were unsure if the campaign was compromised and did not want to tip off the Russians. However, the inspector general report says the Russians were directly told about the allegations repeatedly by then CIA Director John Brennan and, ultimately, President Obama. So the Russians were informed, but no one contacted the Trump campaign so as not to inform the Russians? Meanwhile, the allegations quickly fell apart. Horowitz details how all of the evidence proved exculpatory of any collusion or conspiracy with the Russians.

Even worse, another agency that appears to be the CIA told the FBI that Page was actually working for the agency in Russia as an "operational contact" gathering intelligence. The FBI was told this repeatedly, yet it never reported it to the FISA court approving the secret investigation of Page. His claim to have worked with the federal government was widely dismissed. Worse yet, Horowitz found that investigators and the Justice Department concluded there was no probable cause on Page to support its FISA investigation. That is when there was an intervention from the top of the FBI, ordering investigators to look at the Steele dossier funded by the Democratic National Committee and the Clinton campaign instead.

Jul 2019
Georgia
meh I'm not really a fan of the FBI, and they have been corrupt for years (and yes, definitely under Comey) but Carter Page was hob-knobbing with the Russians, has been for years, and sirens should have gone off when he joined a presidential campaign

(wait, never mind, trump never met him, and the campaign denied him ever being a part of it, so why exactly are we mad some fanboy of the Russians was looked at when he didn't have anything to do with anything according to trump himself?)

May 2018
none
meh I'm not really a fan of the FBI, and they have been corrupt for years (and yes, definitely under Comey) but Carter Page was hob-knobbing with the Russians, has been for years, and sirens should have gone off when he joined a presidential campaign

(wait, never mind, trump never met him, and the campaign denied him ever being a part of it, so why exactly are we mad some fanboy of the Russians was looked at when he didn't have anything to do with anything according to trump himself?)
It’s an op-ed piece.

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
And once again they dredge up the Steele Dossier and blame it on the democrats WHILE COMPLETELY IGNORING THE FACT A REPUBLICAN FUNDED THE INITIAL RESEARCH!!!

Jesus H Tap Dancing Christ how many times can they beat that poor dead fucking horse?

May 2018
none
And once again they dredge up the Steele Dossier and blame it on the democrats WHILE COMPLETELY IGNORING THE FACT A REPUBLICAN FUNDED THE INITIAL RESEARCH!!!

Jesus H Tap Dancing Christ how many times can they beat that poor dead fucking horse?
That poor horse has to be nothing but mush now. ;)

Reactions: intangible child
Feb 2018
Oregon
meh I'm not really a fan of the FBI, and they have been corrupt for years (and yes, definitely under Comey) ......
I'm unsure of that.

"Corruption is a form of dishonesty or criminal activity undertaken by a person or organization entrusted with a position of authority, often to acquire illicit benefit, or, abuse of entrusted power for one's private gain. Corruption may include many activities including bribery and embezzlement, though it may also involve practices that are legal in many countries."

Can you elaborate just a bit on your comment above? How has the FBI been corrupt?

Jul 2019
Georgia
I'm unsure of that.

"Corruption is a form of dishonesty or criminal activity undertaken by a person or organization entrusted with a position of authority, often to acquire illicit benefit, or, abuse of entrusted power for one's private gain. Corruption may include many activities including bribery and embezzlement, though it may also involve practices that are legal in many countries."

Can you elaborate just a bit on your comment above? How has the FBI been corrupt?
I should have been more specific, and said FBI Agents have been corrupt. Lots of them

here are the reports

and generally, when a Special Agent gets wind that they are being investigated internally, they retire early, and still get a pension (albeit smaller)

for example, and I think I know exactly who this agent is, but no charges filed and they won't even release his name.

there are several other cases similar to this one in the link I posted above, where criminal misconduct was found, without any consequences

by saying this, I'm not saying the investigation into trump or Russia were wrong, and certainly not defending trump, but just agreeing that the FBI is far from perfect

Feb 2018
Oregon
I should have been more specific, and said FBI Agents have been corrupt. Lots of them

here are the reports

there are several other cases similar to this one in the link I posted above, where criminal misconduct was found, without any consequences

by saying this, I'm not saying the investigation into trump or Russia were wrong, and certainly not defending trump, but just agreeing that the FBI is far from perfect
Thanks. I scanned a few of them that weren't about sexual misconduct, harassment, and such personal indiscretions, and I'm a bit surprised, but with about 35,000 people in the FBI it is a tiny percentage (about 0.06%). Still, I thought they were better. Can we be consoled by the fact of there being oversight and apprehension?

Reactions: se7en