House has formally started impeachment proceedings

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
Nadler: ‘This is formal impeachment proceedings’

Somehow I missed this, though I assumed it was heading this way.

House Oversight committee has started impeachment hearings, even if they're not going to give it that title. In a late Friday afternoon interview with CNN, Jerry Nadler said:

“This is formal impeachment proceedings,” Nadler said in a CNN interview. “We are investigating all the evidence, gathering the evidence. And we will [at the] conclusion of this — hopefully by the end of the year — vote to vote articles of impeachment to the House floor. Or we won’t. That’s a decision that we’ll have to make. But that’s exactly the process we’re in right now.”

To be clear, this is a legal move as much as it is a political move. They've already subpoenaed several items from the Trump administration as well as the Trump organization and when they're in court they can now say "This is a part of an impeachment investigation." That gives them more legal leverage.

My guess is this will get approved in the Judiciary Committee and will move to a floor vote before the end of the year.

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
Nadler: ‘This is formal impeachment proceedings’

Somehow I missed this, though I assumed it was heading this way.

House Oversight committee has started impeachment hearings, even if they're not going to give it that title. In a late Friday afternoon interview with CNN, Jerry Nadler said:

“This is formal impeachment proceedings,” Nadler said in a CNN interview. “We are investigating all the evidence, gathering the evidence. And we will [at the] conclusion of this — hopefully by the end of the year — vote to vote articles of impeachment to the House floor. Or we won’t. That’s a decision that we’ll have to make. But that’s exactly the process we’re in right now.”

To be clear, this is a legal move as much as it is a political move. They've already subpoenaed several items from the Trump administration as well as the Trump organization and when they're in court they can now say "This is a part of an impeachment investigation." That gives them more legal leverage.

My guess is this will get approved in the Judiciary Committee and will move to a floor vote before the end of the year.
Should be noted that the language Nadler is used to open the proceedings was approved by Polosi. I've said for months the reason Polosi hasn't been on board is because she's creating cover for her moderate D constituents in purple districts. If everyone hates her, but Ds keep the majority in the House, she keeps her speaker role.