House panel chairman gives IRS April 23 deadline on Trump taxes

Apr 2014
Heart of America
This is starting to get really entertaining. It appears Chairman Neal has the law behind him too. I'm guessing this will end up in federal court, get drawn out well into 2020 then Trump will have to give up his records just in time for the election. Any alternative points of view?

House panel chairman gives IRS April 23 deadline on Trump taxes - Reuters
- U.S. congressional Democrats on Saturday headed for a showdown with the Internal Revenue Service over President Donald Trump’s tax returns, setting a new hard deadline of April 23 for the federal tax agency to hand the documents over to lawmakers.....

....As Ways and Means chairman, Neal is the only lawmaker in the House of Representatives authorized to request individual tax information under a federal law that says that the Treasury, which oversees the IRS, “shall furnish” the data.

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
I love it. Muh russia implodes.

Um.. remember those tax returns... let's focus on that now.

Apr 2014
Heart of America
I love it. Muh russia implodes.

Um.. remember those tax returns... let's focus on that now.
I tend to agree. OTOH, the fact Trump has promised to release them but always finds an excuse not to do so is interesting. My guess? He's hiding something very, very embarrassing. Just the kind of dirt to make 2020 an interesting year.

Apr 2014
Heart of America
The law that requires the IRS to turn over Trump's taxes: Here’s the Law That Requires Mnuchin to Turn Over Trump’s Taxes, or Go Directly to Jail
Donald Trump and his top White House aide declare that the administration will not give the president's tax returns to Congress, as required under a 1924 anti-corruption law. But both the Treasury secretary and the tax commissioner have been much more nuanced, saying that they will obey the law even as they delay actually doing so....

....Under Section 6103 of our tax code, Treasury officials “shall” turn over the tax returns “upon written request” of the chair of either congressional tax committee or the federal employee who runs Congress's Joint Committee on Taxation. No request has ever been refused, a host of former congressional tax aides tell me.
There is, however, a law requiring every federal “employee” who touches the tax system to do their duty or be removed from office.
The crystal-clear language of this law applies to Trump, acting White House Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney, Mnuchin and Rettig, federal employees all

While it may problematic to remove a sitting President, the others listed have no such protections; obey the law or go to jail. Will the FBI be conducting more dawn raids soon?

Mar 2019
Texas
Many believe there could be nothing illegal or damning in the returns.

I disagree because one thing i have learned is that the irs does not care where or how you make money as long as you pay your taxes.
Take the mmj industry for example. As long as they pay their taxes the irs is aok with things.

Apr 2014
Heart of America
Many believe there could be nothing illegal or damning in the returns.

I disagree because one thing i have learned is that the irs does not care where or how you make money as long as you pay your taxes.
Take the mmj industry for example. As long as they pay their taxes the irs is aok with things.
The IRS cares about illegality but, unless the illegality is regarding the taxes themselves, they simply pitch it over to the FBI.

While I agree there is probably nothing illegal in his taxes, I strongly disagree there is nothing damning there. While Neal may only be guessing, I suspect he knows what's in there and wants it publicized.

Jun 2018
South Dakota
The IRS cares about illegality but, unless the illegality is regarding the taxes themselves, they simply pitch it over to the FBI.

While I agree there is probably nothing illegal in his taxes, I strongly disagree there is nothing damning there. While Neal may only be guessing, I suspect he knows what's in there and wants it publicized.
If he's guessing, he can't know. If he has other information that is, as you put it, damning, why isn't he using that?
This whole thing is now and always has been a vehicle to embark on another liberal wet dream fishing expedition, like the the Mueller report. If Neal can show a Federal judge that he has info that he needs to verify and the only source is Trumps tax returns then he has a valid reason to demand them. Allowing another 2 or 3 year fishing expedition is rediculous.

What do you think the Dems are gonna find that's "damning"?

Apr 2014
Heart of America

If he's guessing, he can't know. If he has other information that is, as you put it, damning, why isn't he using that?
This whole thing is now and always has been a vehicle to embark on another liberal wet dream fishing expedition, like the the Mueller report. If Neal can show a Federal judge that he has info that he needs to verify and the only source is Trumps tax returns then he has a valid reason to demand them. Allowing another 2 or 3 year fishing expedition is rediculous.

What do you think the Dems are gonna find that's "damning"?
"IF" he's guessing. IF he's not, then what? Does your political POV allow for that alternative?