House panel chairman gives IRS April 23 deadline on Trump taxes

Jun 2018
South Dakota
"IF" he's guessing. IF he's not, then what? Does your political POV allow for that alternative?
If you mean that he does find something, it depends on what he finds. If you mean will my POV prevent me from ever condemning Trump? TBD.
In the meantime, inbetween times Ifound an interesting article from VOX with several responses to the question from legal beagles. Too many are academics but they have one thing in common, they all agree that if the returns are submitted they must be held in closed executive committee. One even cited the obvious. Congress leaks like a sieve could be used as a defense against producing them. Some even said that it may not survive SCOTUS as well.
Good read.
Can Congress force Trump to hand over his tax returns? We asked 11 legal experts.

Sep 2017
Hell
If you mean that he does find something, it depends on what he finds. If you mean will my POV prevent me from ever condemning Trump? TBD.
In the meantime, inbetween times Ifound an interesting article from VOX with several responses to the question from legal beagles. Too many are academics but they have one thing in common, they all agree that if the returns are submitted they must be held in closed executive committee. One even cited the obvious. Congress leaks like a sieve could be used as a defense against producing them. Some even said that it may not survive SCOTUS as well.
Good read.
Can Congress force Trump to hand over his tax returns? We asked 11 legal experts.
The Vox article is skewed. It said every modern president except Trump had released their tax returns. They did not qualify what they meant by modern, and they clearly skipped over Ford.

Apr 2014
redacted
Good read.
That's what Neal is asking.

Jun 2018
South Dakota
The Vox article is skewed. It said every modern president except Trump had released their tax returns. They did not qualify what they meant by modern, and they clearly skipped over Ford.
That's an untenable arguement. Precedent made in court is considered in decision making, there's no such thing as precedent in public practice. Everybody does it is laughed out of court. Interesting that the libs want to mask their true motive by saying they need it to see if the IRS is evenhanded in their audit practices before and after a Prez serves. That's even more diaphanous than the Russian collusion wet dream and should be laughed out of court too.

Jun 2018
South Dakota
That's what Neal is asking.
Then what, they leak their "findings" out evenly spaced to match the short attention span of their constituents in order to milk maximum BS effect out of ever insignificant non-prosecutable morsel they can manufacture?

Jul 2014
massachusetts
If he's guessing, he can't know. If he has other information that is, as you put it, damning, why isn't he using that?
This whole thing is now and always has been a vehicle to embark on another liberal wet dream fishing expedition, like the the Mueller report. If Neal can show a Federal judge that he has info that he needs to verify and the only source is Trumps tax returns then he has a valid reason to demand them. Allowing another 2 or 3 year fishing expedition is rediculous.

What do you think the Dems are gonna find that's "damning"?
He has stated that congress is considering how presidential tax returns are audited.
Wouldn't it make sense to look at presidential tax returns currently being audited?
That's why the law was put in place.
He doesn't need to get a judge to order the tax returns delivered to the committee.
The law says the Treasury "shall furnish any tax returns requested in writing" to Neal's committee.
Mnuchin could be held in contempt if he fails to furnish the requested documents.
Treasury would need to show a federal judge reason why this law is unconstitutional.

Apr 2014
redacted
Then what, they leak their "findings" out evenly spaced to match the short attention span of their constituents in order to milk maximum BS effect out of ever insignificant non-prosecutable morsel they can manufacture?
...or Trump's people leak the information to get ahead of the situation. So what? Are you worried about what's in there?

Apr 2014
redacted
That's an untenable arguement. Precedent made in court is considered in decision making, there's no such thing as precedent in public practice. Everybody does it is laughed out of court. Interesting that the libs want to mask their true motive by saying they need it to see if the IRS is evenhanded in their audit practices before and after a Prez serves. That's even more diaphanous than the Russian collusion wet dream and should be laughed out of court too.
It's obvious the Democrats are looking for dirt on Trump....really not that hard to find but a good reason why Trump lied about releasing his tax returns.

Politicians looking for dirt on the opposition isn't new. We've seen it every Presidential administration so why are you so distraught about this one?

Mar 2019
Texas
The IRS cares about illegality but, unless the illegality is regarding the taxes themselves, they simply pitch it over to the FBI.

While I agree there is probably nothing illegal in his taxes, I strongly disagree there is nothing damning there. While Neal may only be guessing, I suspect he knows what's in there and wants it publicized.
I call bs. They could care less about where peoples tax money comes from as long as people pay they do not question. Even when they came across something illegal they do not always tell anyone at all.

Apr 2014
redacted
I call bs. They could care less about where peoples tax money comes from as long as people pay they do not question. Even when they came across something illegal they do not always tell anyone at all.
Is this where I call bullshit on your bullshit call? LOL Sorry, dude, not my style. I'm content to wait for the facts. Have a really great week!