How do we reduce the number of mass shootings?

Jul 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
Conservatives are quick to say “Gun control” is not the answer but do not offer any solutions.
On another thread I was challenged;

Make you a deal:

Start a thread about mass shootings and I'll tell you how to stop the overwhelming majority of them without gun control
So here we are.

Apr 2014
Heart of America
How do we reduce the number of mass shootings?

Conservatives are quick to say “Gun control” is not the answer but do not offer any solutions.
On another thread I was challenged;

So here we are.
Better mental health care. All of the major "mass shootings" have been done by mentally ill people. Why don't you care about helping them? Why do you keep focusing on banning guns?

Jul 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
Allow victims to shoot back.
I’m sure that the LV victims would have been able to take out that shooter.
Are you suggesting that armed six year olds would have stopped Sandy Hook?
How many more people would have been killed in the Pulse Nightclub shooting if a bunch of the patrons whipped out guns and started shooting blindly?

Jul 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
Better mental health care. All of the major "mass shootings" have been done by mentally ill people. Why don't you care about helping them? Why do you keep focusing on banning guns?
For the most part mental health issues are self reported. Do you think these shooters were turned away when they tried to turn themselves in?

Apr 2014
Heart of America
For the most part mental health issues are self reported. Do you think these shooters were turned away when they tried to turn themselves in?
Seriously? Dude, that's like asking a drunk to determine if they are safe to drive home. Obviously you do not know much about the problems associated with the mentally ill.

Apr 2014
Heart of America
How do you define better mental health care?
More R&D for starters. Education is important in order to reduce the stigma. If a person gets the flu, they are given sympathy for being ill. If they have a mental issue it's often "Get a fucking grip you pussy". Legislation is important. We need to preserve the rights of the mentally ill while still protecting both them and others. Right now, if a person is adjudicated mentally ill, they can never own a gun again. Ever. Obama tried this with legislation about vets. That's wrong. There needs to be a process for both taking away rights and returning them. The returning process should be easier than the taking away process.

Jun 2013
Katmandu
I’m sure that the LV victims would have been able to take out that shooter.
Are you suggesting that armed six year olds would have stopped Sandy Hook?
How many more people would have been killed in the Pulse Nightclub shooting if a bunch of the patrons whipped out guns and started shooting blindly?
I don't know where you are going there, but if I had been in any of those those places I expect to have my Second Amendment right to bear arms which everyone of those victims was denied. It was illegal to defend yourself in all of those examples.

Mar 2018
Grayson
And here I am - as promised.

Of 86 countries studied, the United States ranked 61st in the number of mass public shootings.

https://nypost.com/2018/08/30/america-doesnt-actually-lead-the-world-in-mass-shootings/

So what drives people to commit a mass shooting and what can we do to prevent them? Personally, I began studying mass shootings just after Patrick Purdy killed 6 people and injured 32 more on my birthday in 1989. Purdy was an alcoholic and a drug addict, the child of a broken home.

Now, more than a quarter of a century later, and many mass shootings down the road, I can tell you the moment a mass shooting happens almost all you will ever find out about the shooter except their name. Identifying these people has become somewhat of a hobby since the same pattern happens over and over. Other than political jihadists, the traits of your average mass shooter goes like this:

* They are generally white males between the ages of 18 to 40. There are but a handful of exceptions

* Virtually all of the shooters had been under the care / supervision of a mental health official or other doctor that could - and did - prescribe a schedule of drugs called SSRIs. Those psychotropic drugs are almost universally a common denominator in mass shootings. So I already know the counter, but really... Correlation may not prove causation, but when it is too many times to be a coincidence, it's time to simply admit it merits its own study

* Mass shooters are attracted to violence such as violent video games, discussions of death, and the macabre

* The overwhelming majority of mass shooters come from dysfunctional homes that have a penchant for violence and chaos. Many are well known to their local LEO community

* Many are the sons of a mother where the father is not a part of the family dynamic

* In school, the average mass shooter will have several run ins with school officials and they will have a documented history of violence

* Mass shooters tend to be loners and if they have friends, their friends will have the same dysfunctional traits already covered.

There are a number of other traits, but I'm going to start by dumbing it down so we can all understand the nuts and bolts of it all. Mass shooting is a cultural thing. Let's follow a typical mass shooter:

A young boy ends up in the principal's office because he's "hyperactive." Almost immediately school officials, mommy, a school counselor, and / or some quack with a medical degree is yapping about ADD / ADHD (which are fake and phony conditions for the most part.) Here comes the Ritalin or maybe Adderall. Right away, the pattern is set. A pill can solve your problems. Of course, these drugs are not gateway drugs per se, but they do set the pattern that pills are good.

As this young boy is growing up the parents separate; maybe there is extreme chaos at home; perhaps the young boy is ignored by his parents. Now comes the opioids, whether they are legal or illegal along with the pot and other hard drugs. By 17 this individual is now hooked on drugs, probably has a criminal history, no education, no job skills, no family support system and probably the product of a very dysfunctional family. Somewhere along the line the doctors or mental health officials decide this individual should be on SSRIs - KNOWN SIDE EFFECTS - homicidal and suicidal tendencies.

You know who these people long before they shoot their first victim. So, as a society, we learn that this is, most likely, a cultural phenomenon. And so identifying potential shooters before they act should be the objective.

Now, the most predictable reaction for people is to try and reduce the solution down to trying to put it on a bumper sticker: Ban SSRIs. Drugs are a major factor, but certainly not the cause. They are a part of it. And that will take me another posting to figure in our culture and what we can do change it. By the way, we can stop mass shootings without gun control, without infringing on ANYONE'S Rights, but it is not going to be a five paragraph fix. So, if we discuss this, be ready for some hard core discussion.