HOW MANY GODS?

Sep 2017
Pennsylfaani
Paul, the Emperor Theodosius did more to destroy the old ways and to eliminate the Gods than Constantine. Theodosius closed down the remaining Pagan temples, which had been stripped of public funding by Constantine, and persecuted them with more viciousness than Decius or Diocletian did to the Christians.

Jun 2018
Toronto
What I always had trouble with is understanding why Christ had to die on the Cross. Lets just say for the sake of argument that you are God, all knowing and all powerful, omnificent and omnipotent, now wouldn't it make sense for you to just forgive man of original sin, and say ok you can now earn the right to enter heaven, let it be so. Why would He choose to have his Son suffer and die for all mankind, when he could just forgive.:think:

Because the religion demands a sacrifice. Now people used to sacrifice lambs, later their foreskin, but also all kinds of indulgencies. Appeasement is a big part of putting someone's mind to peace.

The old covenant with Abraham demanded the foreskin. The new covenant demands Jesus. That is the brief executive summary

:)

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
Well, I'm not sure if Jesus is more real than Don Quixote, that is what I'm trying to sort out. I mean they both used a donkey for transportation at some point

The only people more fanatical about their records than the Romans were the Nazi Germans. As far as I know, no one has ever found a written record of Jesus, Joseph or Mary. We know Pontius Pilot was a real person because there is a record of him. Jesus's execution would have been purely for political reasons. Had some local Jewish activist made such a nuisance of himself that Pilot felt he was a threat to the peace and stability of the empire, surely somebody, somewhere, would have mentioned it in a report to Rome.

Now about riding the donkey. Personal story. When I was kid, 1960's, long hair on men was a thing. One of my older cousins had let his hair grow out. Well his dad decided he was no longer allowed to drive the car until he had cut his hair. During an argument over this subject the kid stated that "Jesus had long hair", to which my uncle promptly replied "and he rode a jack ass every where too !!" :):):)

Oct 2010
Colorado
Well, I'm not sure if Jesus is more real than Don Quixote, that is what I'm trying to sort out. I mean they both used a donkey for transportation at some point

I see. But does it matter? Lessons can be drawn from either, DQ or Jesus.

Whether divinely inspired or not, the Gospels and other scriptures spell out why humankind is in the shape it's in, and what to do to correct it.

All other approaches to remedying the sad state of humankind are applying the same "solutions" while expecting different outcomes. The "end of the world" prophesied by Jesus and other prophets across a wide range of spiritual traditions is now being reported by scientists. The prophesied unholy church/state/business alliances likewise. The love of the many turning cold also likewise.

Compare the plain talk of the Gospel and the Hopi and others on what's coming and what to do about it with the blather of human "leaders."

And honestly, the odds are on the existence of other intelligent races, beings are not restrained by the limitations of spacetime. Although we've just begun discovering planets, we've not found anything remotely like earth. Perhaps, the Greater Community values planets like our earth more than we do, and they step in before young, foolish, greedy races like ours lays ruin to them ... for monetary profit and temporal power.

Lotta stuff we don't know.....

Jun 2018
Toronto
I see. But does it matter? Lessons can be drawn from either, DQ or Jesus.

Whether divinely inspired or not, the Gospels and other scriptures spell out why humankind is in the shape it's in, and what to do to correct it.
For me it matters. Not because of the humankind. It's purely selfish reasons of curiosity. I'm not convinced that the weirdness of the physical world is entirely random. There may be another layer of existence, there may be some clues in the pile of garbage that is the actual human created construct called religion.

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
For what? Superior roads that are still being driven on to this day? Aqueducts which still bring millions of gallons of fresh water to cities throughout Europe? Providing inspiration for the superb TV series "I, Claudius"?

In the months before what was called Y2K there were quite few stories in the news about preparations various governmental agencies were taking. On one NPR program they were talking to people around the world about what they were doing and what problems they had anticipated.

In one segment they were talking to the head of the Rome Italy water department. When asked of they anticipated any issues. the man answered in very Italian accented English, We didntah havah any issues with the Y ah 1K, so ah we dontah anticipatah any issues withah the ah Y ah 2K" i nearly crash the car laughing so hard.

Jan 2015
MD
For what? Superior roads that are still being driven on to this day? Aqueducts which still bring millions of gallons of fresh water to cities throughout Europe? Providing inspiration for the superb TV series "I, Claudius"?
For appropriating Christianity and Christianizing established Pagan traditions.