How Much is a "Living Wage?"

Mar 2020
Land of Freedom
depends on if you are married, if you have kids or any other dependants but ballpark i'd say $20/hour
I guess that is a good number. Do you mean for any job or every job? And if you have a family, should the figure be higher or lower?

Jun 2013
USA TN
I guess that is a good number. Do you mean for any job or every job? And if you have a family, should the figure be higher or lower?
well, i thought we were talking about all jobs so yes, i meant for all jobs. families that can't make it on that will have to have both parents working..

Mar 2020
Land of Freedom
well, i thought we were talking about all jobs so yes, i meant for all jobs. families that can't make it on that will have to have both parents working..
So $20/hr after graduating medical school and being a doctor too?

Mar 2020
Land of Freedom
Gotcha. It is because you said all jobs. I believe the minimum living wage amount should have no limit and determined by you and only yourself. Otherwise, it would mean that you do not own yourself.
What if $20/hr is not enough to meet my basic needs (food, shelter, clothing, etc.) And what if I am one of those who can live happily for $20 a day? Should $20/hr be my forced standard of living?

Jul 2014
massachusetts
ok, but what you said about "
back to the great philosophical battle between capitalism and communism that took place in the 1800's
Pope Leo XIII "
has nothing to do with communism.
The communist manifesto was published in 1848, the struggle with the ideas put forth went through the last half of the 19th century, even though the first nominally communist states did not appear til the 20th century.
Rerum Novarum addressed the intellectual argument going on between those advocating communism and those opposing it.
I believe in freedom of association so I believe people should form any kind of union, club, militia or association they want. And because I believe in freedom of association, I also believe in freedom of diss association or non-association. When a person is forced to be part of a union in order to work in a company or industry then this is called mafia. And when unions force their rules on businesses with the threat of strikes and walkouts then this is called mafia racketeering.
that's some twisted thinking, more of the fascist mentality that has such great appeal to "Libertarians"
Also, why is it significant that Reagan lived at a 666 address? I have lived at a 666 address and have had a 666 phone number. If people were Satanists, don't you think they would be less obvious?
Reagan actually did the work of Satan, and was given a house with the number 666.
Why do think that the right wing is always so evil?

Last edited:
Mar 2020
Land of Freedom
The communist manifesto was published in 1848, the struggle with the ideas put forth went through the last half of the 19th century, even though the first nominally communist states did not appear til the 20th century.
Rerum Novarum addressed the intellectual argument going on between those advocating communism and those opposing it.
But that is not what you said in your post. You mentioned something about labor. And just which year are you talking about? Communism wasn't a term used until the 20th century. Before that it was called Marxism and Marx himself denied being a Marxist.
that's some twisted thinking, more of the fascist mentality that has such great appeal to "Libertarians"
I never said I am libertarian and you do not know what a fascist is. Fascism is a form of far-right, authoritarian ultranationalism characterized by dictatorial power, forcible suppression of opposition, and strong regimentation of society and of the economy. Do you know what regimentation means? How is wanting people to be free to own themselves make me a fascist. I don't anyone to have to do anything for anyone else involuntary and against their will. So who has the fascist mentality, me or you?

It seems you do not understand what Libertarianism is either.

Libertarianism is the view that each person has the right to live their life in any way they choose so long as they respect the equal rights of others. Libertarians defend each person’s right to life, liberty, and property-rights that people have naturally, before governments are created. In the libertarian view, all human relationships should be voluntary; the only actions that should be forbidden by law are those that involve the initiation of force against those who have not themselves used force-actions like murder, rape, robbery, kidnapping, and fraud.

Those bolded statements are important.

However, I am not a Libertarian and never claimed to be. Libertarianism is perhaps the closest "ism" to what my core values are but in reality, it still has too many regulations and too much government for me

What I mean by that is that the Libertarian view is that if YOU do violate my rights, you use force against me, i then have every right to use necessary force against you to protect myself and my property.

Well how I’m going to do that with a company or a military or a government?

Reagan actually did the work of Satan, and was given a house with the number 666.
Why do think that the right wing is always so evil?
Make up your mind as to whether you are a theist or atheist. What you say sounds very silly. So was Obama doing the work of the Christian God?

This is a callout.

Jul 2014
massachusetts
But that is not what you said in your post. You mentioned something about labor. And just which year are you talking about? Communism wasn't a term used until the 20th century. Before that it was called Marxism and Marx himself denied being a Marxist.

I never said I am libertarian and you do not know what a fascist is. Fascism is a form of far-right, authoritarian ultranationalism characterized by dictatorial power, forcible suppression of opposition, and strong regimentation of society and of the economy. Do you know what regimentation means? How is wanting people to be free to own themselves make me a fascist. I don't anyone to have to do anything for anyone else involuntary and against their will. So who has the fascist mentality, me or you?

It seems you do not understand what Libertarianism is either.

Libertarianism is the view that each person has the right to live their life in any way they choose so long as they respect the equal rights of others. Libertarians defend each person’s right to life, liberty, and property-rights that people have naturally, before governments are created. In the libertarian view, all human relationships should be voluntary; the only actions that should be forbidden by law are those that involve the initiation of force against those who have not themselves used force-actions like murder, rape, robbery, kidnapping, and fraud.

Those bolded statements are important.

However, I am not a Libertarian and never claimed to be. Libertarianism is perhaps the closest "ism" to what my core values are but in reality, it still has too many regulations and too much government for me

What I mean by that is that the Libertarian view is that if YOU do violate my rights, you use force against me, i then have every right to use necessary force against you to protect myself and my property.

Well how I’m going to do that with a company or a military or a government?

Make up your mind as to whether you are a theist or atheist. What you say sounds very silly. So was Obama doing the work of the Christian God?

This is a callout.
You were stating your position which is pro-corporate, anti-labor, classic fascist.