How people mature out of irreligion

Oct 2019
USA
Hey, weren't you supposed to be preaching eternal salvation if you fear god enough? What end? Aren't I supposed to just begin to have fun at the paradise table, dicussing black holes with Einstein?

:)
Some people seek death out if they want out of life, so I don't believe anyone fears death, so much as not having lived out the story of their life.

Arguments from genetics don't seem to work out that way in practice - even if genes play a role in the fear of death, in practice some kill themselves, seeking it out intentionally.

Jun 2018
Toronto
Some people seek death out if they want out of life, so I don't believe anyone fears death, so much as not having lived out the story of their life.

Arguments from genetics don't seem to work out that way in practice - even if genes play a role in the fear of death, in practice some kill themselves, seeking it out intentionally.
Man, I'm tired of your bull shit. Try to say something smart for a change.

Last response to BS:
Evolution works on a large scale over long periods of time. Individual cases don't matter. Statistics do. And those who do not fear death naturally tend to be weeded out of the gene pool. Doesn't mean it will happen on a case by case basis. Individual stories can differ wildly.

Reactions: leekohler2
Oct 2019
USA
Man, I'm tired of your bull shit. Try to say something smart for a change.

Last response to BS:
Evolution works on a large scale over long periods of time. Individual cases don't matter. Statistics do. And those who do not fear death naturally tend to be weeded out of the gene pool.
Nonsense - those who don't fear death and are willing to make personal sacrifice tend to receive more from their kind than the more cowardly - this is why, culturally speaking, Christ and his sacrifice gained him his following, or why Joan of Arc made history, and the Church made her a saint instead of a heretic.

"Evolution schemovluton".

Jun 2018
Toronto
Nonsense - those who don't fear death and are willing to make personal sacrifice tend to receive more from their kind than the more cowardly - this is why, culturally speaking, Christ and his sacrifice gained him his following, or why Joan of Arc made history, and the Church made her a saint instead of a heretic.

"Evolution schemovluton".
You don't know your own Bible, man. Christ DID fear death, he even asked his father to spare him the cross, but then accepted the decision.

Dec 2015
Arizona
When people are young, they are impulsive, atheistic and lack self-discipline - children throw tantrums, poop in their pants, fight with their siblings and so forth, almost akin to a wild animal. If one were to do the same things an infant or child did as an adult, it would be quite barbaric, and potentially criminal.

After children grow up, they mature out of their atheism and into religion - they are expected to be mature and self-disciplined, like a God-fearing man or woman, rather than behave akin to a feral beast with no manners, morals, or humanity in them.
Seriously, INQ. Again...with the religion? You have started SEVEN threads in the last few days and MOST have something to do with religion. PLEASE STOP.
All you are accomplishing is driving good people AWAY from religion. You don't seem to get that.
Stop pushing. Move on. You're doing more harm than good.

Jul 2019
Georgia
I matured out of religion. I started out in a very religious home as a kid and slowly, with time and lots of questioning, realized religion is nothing but a man-made construct. I’m 52 going on 53 and the longer I live, the more I realize religion is merely a fear of death or a tool used to control people. I want no part of it.
same

I'm still spiritual in a sense, but not really about any organized religion

I don't really have a problem with people believing what they want to believe as long as they're not hurting anyone, but it's not for me personally

Reactions: Clara007
Dec 2015
Arizona
same

I'm still spiritual in a sense, but not really about any organized religion

I don't really have a problem with people believing what they want to believe as long as they're not hurting anyone, but it's not for me personally
Sorry--but I'm on a rant.
These people!! Why do they think that SHOVING their religion down people's throats works? Have you ever known anyone to immediately say "OH! YEAH--you are so right. Praise God!" EVER?
Has that ever happened? Not in my experience.

People come to religion because of the examples they see--the kindness they experience--the peace and joy and comfort they find. People sometimes find religion through tragedy, looking for coping mechanisms. People feel the need to form attachments due to loneliness, self-doubt, depression. Some people find "family" in organized religion and a vehicle for contributing to the larger community--volunteering and charitable work.

It's the zealots who behave like good little Pharisees, preaching the letter of the law and WOE to all who disobey, who have turned intelligent people (like my sons) away from the church. It is the hypocrisy of the Evangelicals--the disgusting attitude of preachers like Franklin Graham---the greed of pastors like the Falwells and Bakers---the TOXICITY they have created with their brand of deviant Christianity. It's the vile nature of the sexual predator PRIESTS that created a whole generation of lapsed Catholics. There are GOOD reasons WHY millions of people are leaving the church and those reasons have nothing to do with science.
More than one-third of Millennials claim to be completely unaffiliated with the church. Almost every major branch of Christianity in the United States has lost a significant number of members but not just Millens--every demographic group!
So apparently WE the religious are not doing a REAL WHIZ-BANG job of recruiting, are we? It doesn't take an Einstein to figure out why we are FAILING so miserably. Just look around. Read the arrogant, hubristic, self-righteous posts on DTT and it won't take long to come to the conclusion that NO ONE is interested in belonging to a community of faith so full of itself and so judgmental of everyone else.

Reactions: se7en
Apr 2015
Stockport, Cheshire. UK
I matured out of religion at about 12 years of age, still haven't found any reason to change my view at 63

Reactions: se7en