How the FDA keeps us safe

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
Roundup for Breakfast? Weed Killer Found in Kids’ Cereals, Other Oat-Based Foods

Popular oat cereals, oatmeal, granola and snack bars come with a hefty dose of the weed-killing poison in Monsanto's Roundup, according to independent laboratory tests commissioned by the Environmental Working Group (EWG).
These new findings come days after a California jury awarded $289 million to a school groundskeeper who claimed Roundup gave him lymphoma.

EWG's tests found glyphosate, the active ingredient in Roundup, in all but two of 45 samples of products made with conventionally grown oats. More than two thirds of the samples had glyphosate levels above what EWG scientists consider protective of children's health with an adequate margin of safety.

https://www.ecowatch.com/roundup-kids-cereals-2596125958.html

May 2018
Springfield
Growing organically. Whatever happened to COMMON SENSE?!

Oh wait! I know: America is now (circa 1918-present) a corporate based enterprise.

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
Buy organic. Strike back at the corporate deep state.

From the OP

About one-third of 16 samples of foods made with organically grown oats also had glyphosate, all at levels well below EWG's health benchmark. Glyphosate may get in organic oats by drifting from nearby farm fields, or cross-contamination in a processing facility that also handles non-organic foods.

The EPA has denied that glyphosate may increase the risk of cancer. Documents introduced in the California trial showed how the agency and Monsanto worked together to promote the claim that the chemical is safe.

Feb 2014
Oregon
Buy organic. Strike back at the corporate deep state.
Can we be sure that the organic brands don't have the poison? I have eaten oatmeal daily for several years and I have reasons for being concerned. I had no idea the oatmeal could be that much of a problem. I would be less worried if I hadn't eaten so much of it.

Oct 2010
Colorado
Yep, dammit, I know. The FDA has cheapened the term "organic" substantially. Big Agra pushed hard to allow the use of "biosolids" on organic produce. Shit's good fertilizer, but God only knows whats in municipal sewer sludge, or the new, upbeat term for it, biosolids. Sounds SO much better, doesn't it?

Buy organic from reputable local sources, like I did today: Peaches, tomatoes, peppers, fragrant apples, garlic, plums, cucumbers .... bought at a farmer's market run by the farmers. I had to drive 75 minutes, but it was a nice day. :)

Oct 2010
Colorado
Can we be sure that the organic brands don't have the poison? I have eaten oatmeal daily for several years and I have reasons for being concerned. I had no idea the oatmeal could be that much of a problem. I would be less worried if I hadn't eaten so much of it.
You do what you can do, Athena, and beyond that the worry is just as harmful as the contaminants.

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
Yep, dammit, I know. The FDA has cheapened the term "organic" substantially. Big Agra pushed hard to allow the use of "biosolids" on organic produce. Shit's good fertilizer, but God only knows whats in municipal sewer sludge, or the new, upbeat term for it, biosolids. Sounds SO much better, doesn't it?

Buy organic from reputable local sources, like I did today: Peaches, tomatoes, peppers, fragrant apples, garlic, plums, cucumbers .... bought at a farmer's market run by the farmers. I had to drive 75 minutes, but it was a nice day. :)
I am a big fan of CSAs personally. I like the farmers market but the bands and food trucks i could do w/o