How the FDA keeps us safe

Oct 2010
Colorado
I am a big fan of CSAs personally. I like the farmers market but the bands and food trucks i could do w/o
We went to "a" farmer's market. We've known the man for years. I don't much like the bands at big markets, either.

It's amazing what is grown in Colorado, everything non-tropical. Killer scores yesterday were Olathe sweet corn, unreal sweet btw, big, ripe cantaloupes, freestone peaches which I'll freezer can, unwaxed sweet cucumbers, and some roasted poblano peppers, among other just picked stuff.

I love this time of year, a time I naturally tend towards vegetarianism.

Oct 2010
Colorado
Stop eating cereal or cereal products. Try protein and fruit for breakfast.
For years my morning breakfast before building houses was a smoothie and some eggs. With that, I cruised to lunchtime.

Honestly, if when I eat oatmeal, which I like, I'm hung-gry by lunch, distractingly so.

Feb 2007
New York
I have seen produce taken to farmers markets after being imported from other countries. I have also seen news reports about people buying carts of vegetables at the terminal markets and then passing them off as locally grown.

Just be aware of this.

Jun 2013
Ohio
We went to "a" farmer's market. We've known the man for years. I don't much like the bands at big markets, either.

It's amazing what is grown in Colorado, everything non-tropical. Killer scores yesterday were Olathe sweet corn, unreal sweet btw, big, ripe cantaloupes, freestone peaches which I'll freezer can, unwaxed sweet cucumbers, and some roasted poblano peppers, among other just picked stuff.

I too have gone to a local farmers market every Sunday the past 5 years. The corn, peaches, plums, broccoli, onions and garlic are great. But, I overheard on interesting conversation between two farmers this past Sunday. They claimed that none of the stands sell organic fruits and vegetables. They will post a valid certification if they did. The one farmer claimed that if he did not use pesticides on his peach trees, the insects would destroy his yield. A framers market only guarantees that the product is locally grown and not necessarily that it is organic in the true sense of the word. Here is a pic of my market;

1534860869634.jpeg

Oct 2010
Colorado
I too have gone to a local farmers market every Sunday the past 5 years. The corn, peaches, plums, broccoli, onions and garlic are great. But, I overheard on interesting conversation between two farmers this past Sunday. They claimed that none of the stands sell organic fruits and vegetables. They will post a valid certification if they did. The one farmer claimed that if he did not use pesticides on his peach trees, the insects would destroy his yield. A framers market only guarantees that the product is locally grown and not necessarily that it is organic in the true sense of the word. Here is a pic of my market;

View attachment 1105
Local is better than long distance, for many reasons.

Over my time spent living in Colorado, I've watched big changes in organic agriculture in western Colorado. Regarding peaches, I watched how the growers slowly converted to organic production, and how they drew in their skeptical neighbors as the populations of insect predators returned.

I'm sure there are scammers in every realm of human endeavor.

You can laugh at this, but the flavor of organic produce is superior. It's more complex than the NPK/pesticides/fungicides/herbicides stuff.

Jun 2013
Ohio

Over my time spent living in Colorado, I've watched big changes in organic agriculture in western Colorado. Regarding peaches, I watched how the growers slowly converted to organic production, and how they drew in their skeptical neighbors as the populations of insect predators returned.

You can laugh at this, but the flavor of organic produce is superior. It's more complex than the NPK/pesticides/fungicides/herbicides stuff.
I am not laughing. I am merely saying that true organic growing is hard and expensive work. I am not offended if the growers at my farmers market do not adhere to strict organic guidelines.

Oct 2010
Colorado
I am not laughing. I am merely saying that true organic growing is hard and expensive work. I am not offended if the growers at my farmers market do not adhere to strict organic guidelines.
What I'm telling you is: That contention is a fiction. The overuse of chemicals has radically upset balance. The first concern of agriculture should be to encourage not destroy the natural systems. The first insects to disappear are the predators. It takes time to reestablish sustainable agriculture. I remember seeing the pheromone-baited traps hanging from the fruit trees wondering what they were initially.

I've observed, in a greenhouse setting, how insects go for the weakest plants. They won't touch the vibrant plant growing right next to one covered in aphids. These are thing you've really got to see with your own eyes, so incredible it is.

Bottom line: modern chemical and fossil fuel-based agriculture is not sustainable. Actually, humankind's world system is not sustainable.

Dec 2015
Arizona

I'm LONGING for Palisades Peaches!! So yummy! We bought a case last year before leaving CO. The produce stands lined the roads. So great!

Dec 2015
Arizona
For years my morning breakfast before building houses was a smoothie and some eggs. With that, I cruised to lunchtime.

Honestly, if when I eat oatmeal, which I like, I'm hung-gry by lunch, distractingly so.

We stopped eating cereal years ago. It's junk...and very costly.