How the FDA keeps us safe

Oct 2010
Colorado
I have seen produce taken to farmers markets after being imported from other countries. I have also seen news reports about people buying carts of vegetables at the terminal markets and then passing them off as locally grown.

Just be aware of this.
A stand about two blocks from my house does just that. They'll advertise "Colorado peaches" in June. lol

I don't shop there...........

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
Stop eating cereal or cereal products. Try protein and fruit for breakfast.

It still to this day weirds me out when i see adults eat a bowl of cereal for some reason.

The point is how many k-7 kids are given a bowl of sugar-cracks every morning either at home or at the school. This is extremely disturbing IMO and unfortunately unsurprising.

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
We went to "a" farmer's market. We've known the man for years. I don't much like the bands at big markets, either.

It's amazing what is grown in Colorado, everything non-tropical. Killer scores yesterday were Olathe sweet corn, unreal sweet btw, big, ripe cantaloupes, freestone peaches which I'll freezer can, unwaxed sweet cucumbers, and some roasted poblano peppers, among other just picked stuff.

I love this time of year, a time I naturally tend towards vegetarianism.

Hell yeah, i just made a corn chowder w/ everything from the farmers market that is about a 7 iron from my front door. This has been a great year for corn and peppers. Tomatoes. Not so much.

Oct 2010
Colorado
Hell yeah, i just made a corn chowder w/ everything from the farmers market that is about a 7 iron from my front door. This has been a great year for corn and peppers. Tomatoes. Not so much.
Agreed. this is my worst year ever for tomatoes. I don't understand it. Not that good for cucumbers either, which is why I bought some yesterday.

God I love corn chowder!!

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
I have seen produce taken to farmers markets after being imported from other countries. I have also seen news reports about people buying carts of vegetables at the terminal markets and then passing them off as locally grown.

Just be aware of this.

I only know how it is here but each market had its own "rules" the ones i go to everything must be grown X number of miles from the boarder. There is a masive one downtown that has pineapples. I have no idea where in the midwest they are growing those things.

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
Agreed. this is my worst year ever for tomatoes. I don't understand it. Not that good for cucumbers either, which is why I bought some yesterday.

God I love corn chowder!!
Im pretty sure it was the extra 120 days of winter we had here. Not enough time for the tomatoes but the saturated soil was great for corn and beets. The beets have been amazing here also. Cucumber beet gazpacho tonight.

Apr 2013
Left coast
A stand about two blocks from my house does just that. They'll advertise "Colorado peaches" in June. lol

I don't shop there...........
That is something I don't have to worry about. Up here there is no legal definition of "organic" so a sign saying that is meaningless. But by law the source country of produce has to be shown.

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
What I'm telling you is: That contention is a fiction. The overuse of chemicals has radically upset balance. The first concern of agriculture should be to encourage not destroy the natural systems. The first insects to disappear are the predators. It takes time to reestablish sustainable agriculture. I remember seeing the pheromone-baited traps hanging from the fruit trees wondering what they were initially.

I've observed, in a greenhouse setting, how insects go for the weakest plants. They won't touch the vibrant plant growing right next to one covered in aphids. These are thing you've really got to see with your own eyes, so incredible it is.

Bottom line: modern chemical and fossil fuel-based agriculture is not sustainable. Actually, humankind's world system is not sustainable.

It is strange to me how hard it is to convince people of this. The earth is a symbiotic organism. The only reason fertilizer is "needed" is because it is used. That and the mega farms. Its all a trick. That and napalm

Dec 2015
Arizona
I only know how it is here but each market had its own "rules" the ones i go to everything must be grown X number of miles from the boarder. There is a masive one downtown that has pineapples. I have no idea where in the midwest they are growing those things.

Oh yeah! Minnesota is world-famous for its pineapples. Do you have hula dancers too?