How the FDA keeps us safe

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
It is also worth mentioning that all dietary supplements, including multi-vitamins, are not even regulated by the FDA.
There was a law passed in 96 i believe that states if natural remedies were used up until that time they do not fall under the jurisdiction of the fda. That is the only reason. The fda is just the government arm of big business like big pharma. Trust me if they could patent your vitamin C they would.

Dec 2017
USA
There was a law passed in 96 i believe that states if natural remedies were used up until that time they do not fall under the jurisdiction of the fda. That is the only reason. The fda is just the government arm of big business like big pharma. Trust me if they could patent your vitamin C they would.
@Sabcat

The supplement business has been growing a lot in the past decade and is often used by athletes. Problem is, there is no "check" to make sure what is exactly is in it--and there have been known to be mx ups since much of it is being produced in China, etc. factory lines. I used to use a "pre-workout" supplement when I was a teenager, when I found out about the lack of regulation I just changed over to these V8 fruit juice drinks that also have caffeine from green tea. I never encountered any issues, however it is actually quite a problem and I figured better safe then sorry.

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
@Sabcat

The supplement business has been growing a lot in the past decade and is often used by athletes. Problem is, there is no "check" to make sure what is exactly is in it--and there have been known to be mx ups since much of it is being produced in China, etc. factory lines. I used to use a "pre-workout" supplement when I was a teenager, when I found out about the lack of regulation I just changed over to these V8 fruit juice drinks that also have caffeine from green tea. I never encountered any issues, however it is actually quite a problem and I figured better safe then sorry.
Buy from a reputable source that lists its ingredients and procedures. Regulations only cut out small suppliers and favor those who can pay to be "regulated"

Dec 2017
USA
@Sabcat

Joe Rogan, on one of his podcasts, talks about this exact issue he had with Onnit where the products were being made on a factory line overseas and micro-doses of other stuff was getting mixed in.

Personally, I would much rather pay a bit more and know it was made in the US or Canada, and the only ingredients in it are the ones on the label.

I do understand your argument that the price of being "regulated" would be disastrous for smaller companies, as they wouldn't be able to afford it and thus no business. One of the strengths and weaknesses of the current supplement industry is that anyone can very, very easily start a business for extremely cheap. If one buys the ingredients they want at the grocery store, mixes it together, and creates a marketable label/brand, then they are in business.