How to Cure Poverty in Today's United States

Feb 2020
Houston
There is a five step program which would eliminate nearly all of the poverty in the United States:

1) Finish high school with a diploma.
2) Work any kind of full time job or two part time jobs for at least forty hours.
3) Don't use any recreational drug, including alcohol, to the point that it takes up to much time, energy or money.
4) Get married or have a domestic financial partner.
5) Don't get pregnant or contribute to pregnancy until you do 4), which should in most cases be get married.

This is an individual program because only individuals can get themselves out of poverty. Success is for individuals, failures are almost always a product of the collective.

Rarely would you find a poor person who did not skip one of those steps.

Of course there are exceptions, so I don't a story about how Liz Warren had a baby out of wedlock and became a rich millionaire or how your Aunt Sofia did all those things and still wound up on welfare through no fault of her own.

$7.25 per hour, 8 hours per day for 22 days per monthis is $1,276 per month. Can a person live on that? Sure, if they get an apartment with a roommate or domestic partner or spouse.

At that wage, they should be declaring exempt from income tax and getting earned income credit for a "refund" at the end of the year.

They will be eligible for some kind of welfare benefit and once they qualify for one program, that qualification makes them eligible for many other programs so the process is streamlined.

It is wrong that low-income people get food stamps, WIC, medicaid, etc. Wrong because it is just a subsidy that allows businesses to pay less than a living wage and still have workers.

But that's the system now, so people should be using it to stay out of poverty.

There are plenty of jobs, we keep the border open because Americans disdain them. We need to find our work ethic again.

Dec 2015
Arizona
Are you actually saying: Of course there are exceptions, so I don't a story about how Liz Warren had a baby out of wedlock and became a rich millionaire or how your Aunt Sofia did all those things and still wound up on welfare through no fault of her own.
If you are claiming Warren had a baby out of wedlock you'll need to provide a credible source.

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
You say "get a high school diploma" like it's something easy for anyone. Have you ever thought about kids born to a 14 yo meth addict in some gang infested ghetto and the odds of them just going out and getting a high school diploma?

That's a great recipe for middle class WASPs but not particularly useful in the real world.

Oh, yeah. You live in Trumpania, the land of alternative facts.

Mar 2020
Land of Freedom
There is a five step program which would eliminate nearly all of the poverty in the United States:

2) Work any kind of full time job or two part time jobs for at least forty hours.
3) Don't use any recreational drug, including alcohol, to the point that it takes up to much time, energy or money.
4) Get married or have a domestic financial partner.
5) Don't get pregnant or contribute to pregnancy until you do 4), which should in most cases be get married.

This is an individual program because only individuals can get themselves out of poverty. Success is for individuals, failures are almost always a product of the collective.

Rarely would you find a poor person who did not skip one of those steps.
I agree and think #6 could be: And STAY married.

You are a good dude and I see you care and what you propose is a no brainer, basically: Life 101 for dummies.

If I could go back, I probably wouldn't bother to finish even high school (though, I would miss the babes).

As long as you can read, write and know some 'rithmatic, you are golden and nothing can stop you from going as far as you want. But yeah, some people need direction and your advice is good, very good.

(Ivy league grads are so prestigious and wanted in the job market, not because they graduated from Harvard or Yale but because of what it took for them to get in. All colleges have a library that you can spend 4 years sitting in and reading and never finish. Even the shittiest school has so much information that no one can learn it all. To get into Harvard, you have to have more than just good grades or rich parents, you have to have a very high IQ and be good at several extracurricular activities, basically, you have to be far above the average. People want to hire you not because of their paper but because of what you are.)

You say "get a high school diploma" like it's something easy for anyone. Have you ever thought about kids born to a 14 yo meth addict in some gang infested ghetto and the odds of them just going out and getting a high school diploma?
Well, they are actually easy to get these days, so easy. You don't have to even go to be present in school. In Los Angeles County (and probably many other places like it in the southwest) has the highest drop out rate in the country. Even when they dumb-down High school to the Jr. high level, these kids still don't make it. Reading, writing and math scores are pretty embarrassing. Now, whose fault is that? The teachers, the kids, the parent(s) or the public education system?

And since they have made college so easy and affordable (with loan debt) to get into, it has lost much of its value and is little more than and adult day care center. It is said that a high school education from the 1950s is worth more than college today and I totally agree. When I was still an employee at a company, university grads from one of the best universities in the state and nation sent in resumes every day and they would be given 1 of 3 choices: front desk, mailroom or take calls that is if they were offered an interview at all. I had a stack of their resumes in my inbox every morning.
Most jobs are gotten through connections, such as friends and family. That's how I used to hire, get my employees to introduce someone they can vouch for.

Lastly, what do you want to do about the 14-year-old child of the meth addict in the ghetto? Mr. flop's point is, as he said, success is for individuals, failures are almost always a product of the collective. That kid needs to get out of the collective and only he or she can do it for themself, and they can. We all have it in us. You know what happens when you help a chick break out of its shell, right?

Feb 2020
Houston
Are you actually saying: Of course there are exceptions, so I don't a story about how Liz Warren had a baby out of wedlock and became a rich millionaire or how your Aunt Sofia did all those things and still wound up on welfare through no fault of her own.
If you are claiming Warren had a baby out of wedlock you'll need to provide a credible source.
Actually, you are correct. When Warren tells that story about being fired because she was pregnant, I assumed she meant pregnant out of wedlock. I looked it up and she was married in 1968 and her claimed firing-for-being-pregnant was in 1971.

Well, now her story goes from an anecdote in which she claims something that actually happened to some women happened to her to a huge whopper.

Feb 2020
Houston
Of course I have, that's why my advice was not to use recreational substances to the point that they sap your time, money and energy.

Public school are a disaster, but that doesn't mean that it is impossible for someone to get a diploma.

That's a great recipe for middle class WASPs but not particularly useful in the real world.
Wait, is that really true, or is it a lie for my betterment?

Last edited:
Reactions: FreeToChoose
Jan 2015
MD
Nowadays you need more than a HS diploma to survive.

Otherwise, I don't even really disagree with you. Capitalism might suck but it's still important to make wise financial decisions in order to survive and thrive under it.

Last edited:
Aug 2019
Albuquerque, NM
Right wingers fucking clueless as usual. Hey, they got everything in life , so everybody else must have it as well. Oh, just go get a job. Jobs pay unlivable wages, and there aren't enough. Oh, just save, people can barely afford a home and food, yeah, they can really save.
Anyway, as usual, right wingers don't know jack shit about anything and have absolutely no empathy