Huawei CFO arrested on US order

Jun 2013
Earth
1. Hot on the heels of the Trump-Xi meeting at the G20 in Buenos Aires, the Trump administration took three hostile actions in quick succession against China.

(a) As usual, the Jekyll and Hyde US leader keeps up pressure on China by tweeting threats of more tariffs if he cannot get what he wishes for.

(b) It was reported on December 4 that US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo told diplomats and officials In a foreign policy speech that Trump was not abandoning its global leadership but instead reshaping the post-World War Two system on the basis of sovereign states, not multilateral institutions, as it sees fit to stop “bad actors” such as Russia, China and Iran from gaining.

(c) It was reported on December 5 that Canada has arrested Huawei's global chief financial officer in Vancouver, where she is facing extradition to the US. The arrest is related to violations of US sanctions against Iran. Meng Wanzhou, who is one of the vice chairs on the Chinese technology company's board and the daughter of company founder Ren Zhengfei, was arrested on December 1 and a court hearing has been set for Friday.

2. Meng's arrest throws into question whether Chinese citizens and tourists are safe when they travel to countries allied to the US. Now it seems Chinese could be arrested anytime in those countries and extradited to the US to be charged for violation of US laws. It is noted that US sanctions against Iran is itself a violation against international law. Hence it would be an outrage and laughing stock for a country that violates international law to arrest and charge foreign citizens as though their countries are US colonies.

It is noted that Meng is a potential successor to her father. Through this arrest, it seems that the US is trying to destroy Huawei once and for all. This in turn is an attempt by the US to destroy China’s high tech industry.

It is ironical that Meng was arrested on December 1, the day of the Trump-Xi meeting at the G20 in Buenos Aires. It would be surprising that Trump and his top aides were unaware of it. It shows that Trump has no sincerity in improving US-Sino relations.

Are those hostile actions taken by Trump as additional bargaining chips? If so, he needs to go for a mental checkup.

Trump shaping new 'liberal' order to block Russia, China, Iran, says Pompeo | Reuters

https://money.usnews.com/investing/...ada-for-violating-us-sanctions-on-iran-report

Last edited:
Jun 2018
Toronto
China has risen on slave labour, stealing western technologies and unfair trading practices. I have very little sympathies for any chinese functionaries imprisoned and fully support a trade war with them. It's time for the west to stand up.

Dec 2016
Canada
China has risen on slave labour, stealing western technologies and unfair trading practices. I have very little sympathies for any chinese functionaries imprisoned and fully support a trade war with them. It's time for the west to stand up.
This issue to me is just one more reason why globalization is garbage! But, it should be noted in your little diatribe about China, that the US knew all about how the Chinese Communist Government functioned and what they would bring to the table after being signed in to the WTO by Poppy Bush no less! The same guy you're all having a funeral procession for yesterday, insisted even after the Tien an Mien Square Massacre that China was too important to leave out of the world trading regime and would only be rehabilitated after the glories of international trade and capitalism promoted real democracy there.

So, how have things turned out since then? I'd say they've gone the other way! And America today, looks more and more like China in every way!

Jun 2018
South Dakota
What this does is reinforce that the US poicy today is different from that of the past, particularly the Obama admin which was all show and no go. We now have demonstrated that we mean what we say.

Jun 2018
Toronto
The chinese don't play fairly. Cheap labour, stealing of intellectual property etc. That same Huawei stole their first technologies from Nortel and drove them into bankruptcy. A canadian company.

We have to protect ourselves from unfair and hostile trading partners.

Jun 2018
Toronto
This issue to me is just one more reason why globalization is garbage! But, it should be noted in your little diatribe about China, that the US knew all about how the Chinese Communist Government functioned and what they would bring to the table after being signed in to the WTO by Poppy Bush no less! The same guy you're all having a funeral procession for yesterday, insisted even after the Tien an Mien Square Massacre that China was too important to leave out of the world trading regime and would only be rehabilitated after the glories of international trade and capitalism promoted real democracy there.

So, how have things turned out since then? I'd say they've gone the other way! And America today, looks more and more like China in every way!

It's time for Canada to show where it stands. Surely not on the communists side comrade.

Jun 2018
South Dakota
Not true, it's the other way around my friend.

You keep trying to compare social issues with economic. They are very poor analogies.

Bush 41 set the tone and gave the Chinese an opportunity to join the reat of the world economys. In reality it was Nixon who did the groundwork for the following action by Bush. No one took a hard line with China due to the fragile nature of the relationship.
Trump knows tht the continued revivl of the US as an economic powerhouse that it could be depends on reducing the cost of keeping China on its upward rise. All the trade protections and simpy ignoring the Chinese piracy of our Tech hasto stop in order to do this. It will mean a shakeup in the Chinese way of doing business and even possibly in their govt. The leadership in China must know by now that their survival depends on maintaining the good will and support of their now burgeoning middle class. If this process had been started back in the early 2000s and continued diligently we'd be light years ahead in the process of converting China into a truly "friendly" nation today.

On te issue of piracy of intellectual property, when I was in the far east in the late 50s there was rampant "copycat" and open theft of mostly music and electronic devices. I remember seeing record albums, obvious copies, of the latest artists works for sale on the streets of Hong Kong and anywhere in Japan for pennies. Also you could buy the latest knockoff hi-fi gear for a fracton of the cost in the US. That activity has an old and long history that can't be wiped out in one Presidency.

Oct 2010
Colorado

You keep trying to compare social issues with economic. They are very poor analogies.

Bush 41 set the tone and gave the Chinese an opportunity to join the reat of the world economys. In reality it was Nixon who did the groundwork for the following action by Bush. No one took a hard line with China due to the fragile nature of the relationship.
Trump knows tht the continued revivl of the US as an economic powerhouse that it could be depends on reducing the cost of keeping China on its upward rise. All the trade protections and simpy ignoring the Chinese piracy of our Tech hasto stop in order to do this. It will mean a shakeup in the Chinese way of doing business and even possibly in their govt. The leadership in China must know by now that their survival depends on maintaining the good will and support of their now burgeoning middle class. If this process had been started back in the early 2000s and continued diligently we'd be light years ahead in the process of converting China into a truly "friendly" nation today.

On te issue of piracy of intellectual property, when I was in the far east in the late 50s there was rampant "copycat" and open theft of mostly music and electronic devices. I remember seeing record albums, obvious copies, of the latest artists works for sale on the streets of Hong Kong and anywhere in Japan for pennies. Also you could buy the latest knockoff hi-fi gear for a fracton of the cost in the US. That activity has an old and long history that can't be wiped out in one Presidency.
The never talked about question is: How long will the US petrodollar maintain its dominance, especially with many US Congress members after seeing the evidence openly declaring MBS bloodguilty. SA has played a major role in creating and supporting the US petrodollar .... 'cause see, this guy is always hanging around.

Dec 2016
Canada

Nixon's opening to China....and we should say Kissinger/Nixon...was mostly for strategic and military objectives, i.e. to take advantage of the cooling relations between Moscow and Beijing, and bring China into a closer alliance with the US on issues like the Vietnam War...in which, China did very little to help Vietnam anyway and played an antagonistic role by cultivating a friendship with the Khmer Rouge zealots in Cambodia. Reagan and Bush One made that relationship economic, when they wanted China in their international trading regime, and like I said yesterday, Poppy Bush was so afraid of dampening that relationship that not even a massacre of students in a public square could dampen his enthusiasm for keeping China in the WTO. This all wouldn't be such a big deal except for the fact that it's the Global Empire which proclaims itself the guardian of human rights around the world. That's what makes the realpolitik so hypocritical!
I am more sympathetic towards Chinese piracy than I am with US policy of using patents and copyrights to try to give their businesses permanent global monopolies.

No patents or copyrights should last more than a preset period time/NO renewals! Companies buy up patents and use them to keep extracting wealth without any effort on their part!