Hunter Killed by Deer he Shot

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
How many times have you heard guys call hunting a "sport"? Yeah, it's a sport where one of the competitors is armed with a high powered rifle and the other doesn't know it's competing.

They know they're competing. They aren't stupid.

My wife and I go round on the subject of hunting. She hates hunters.

I explain, in Colorado, as most other places, ranching and civilization in general have decimated the predators that formerly kept deer, elk, and moose populations in check. The job has passed on to humans.

Without a hunting season in Colorado, the animals would cause tremendous ecological damage, such as killing aspen trees by eating the bark, as well as face starvation.

The high-powered rifle angle, yes hunters, good ones, use the proper caliber, which translates to a quick death. The hunter who died was using a muzzleloader, a large caliber rifle, 1850's style, which requires stalking as its effective range on a good windless day is maybe 200 yards.

An animal harvested for its meat took no hormones, no antibiotics, led a free life, didn't know it was going to die, and didn't have to listen to the animals in from of her or him die before she or he was killed. Harvested wild game didn't require chemical intensive agriculture, and didn't create feedlot stench and pollution.

I've known many fine people who are hunters. Are there some asshole hunters out there? Yep, just like any cross-section of people.

May 2018
none
I just had a conversation about this with some friends. I grew up in rural Ohio. My dad hunted deer for food for us every year. I fail to see how that is wrong. I skinned deer before we sent them to the butcher. I also killed animals for food regularly. I see nothing wrong with that.

If that person just wanted a trophy, I agree that is wrong. Killing just to kill is horrible.

Last edited:
Nov 2018
Rocky Mountains
They know they're competing. They aren't stupid.

My wife and I go round on the subject of hunting. She hates hunters.

I explain, in Colorado, as most other places, ranching and civilization in general have decimated the predators that formerly kept deer, elk, and moose populations in check. The job has passed on to humans.

Without a hunting season in Colorado, the animals would cause tremendous ecological damage, such as killing aspen trees by eating the bark, as well as face starvation.

The high-powered rifle angle, yes hunters, good ones, use the proper caliber, which translates to a quick death. The hunter who died was using a muzzleloader, a large caliber rifle, 1850's style, which requires stalking as its effective range on a good windless day is maybe 200 yards.

An animal harvested for its meat took no hormones, no antibiotics, led a free life, didn't know it was going to die, and didn't have to listen to the animals in from of her or him die before she or he was killed. Harvested wild game didn't require chemical intensive agriculture, and didn't create feedlot stench and pollution.

I've known many fine people who are hunters. Are there some asshole hunters out there? Yep, just like any cross-section of people.
Any chronic wasting disease in Colorado yet?
How about Q fever, chlamydia, leptospirosis, campylobacterosis, salmonellosis, cryptosporidiosis, giardiasis, ticks, or intestinal worms?

Last edited:
Sep 2019
Here
I just had a conversation about this with some friends. I grew up in rural Ohio. My dad hunted deer for food for us every year. I fail to see how that is wrong. I skinned deer before we sent them to the butcher. I also killed animals for food regularly. I see nothing wrong with that.

If that person just wanted a trophy, I agree that is wrong. Killing just to kill is horrible.
I don't hunt. I can't stand the feeling I get when I kill almost anything. Been that way since mom died. Life, all life became as important as my own. That's a weird way of looking at it. But if I have money to buy meat, that's what I'll do. When you buy beef, pork, chicken or fish, you're not just feeding you and your family. But your helping to feed millions of people who work in every part of the process from from the ranch to the table. Including the feed lot employee's, the truckers that haul'm to market, ware houses and onto the grocer. The people who work in the offices. Hell, there's probably 100,000 people associated with the raising to cook of a cow.

Note: If it was self preservation, I'd kill in a heartbeat.

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
I don't hunt. I can't stand the feeling I get when I kill almost anything. Been that way since mom died. Life, all life became as important as my own. That's a weird way of looking at it. But if I have money to buy meat, that's what I'll do. When you buy beef, pork, chicken or fish, you're not just feeding you and your family. But your helping to feed millions of people who work in every part of the process from from the ranch to the table. Including the feed lot employee's, the truckers that haul'm to market, ware houses and onto the grocer. The people who work in the offices. Hell, there's probably 100,000 people associated with the raising to cook of a cow.

Note: If it was self preservation, I'd kill in a heartbeat.
I find your position difficult to understand. All life is important to you, but if you have money you'll support an industry based on the deaths of 25 million animals a day. Does that mean life is more important to you when you're broke? :)

Screen Shot 2019-10-25 at 6.07.22 AM.png