Hurricane Season 2019

Dec 2016
Canada
So true. Debating the changes in the earth's climate, the observable and strengthening changes, is a waste of time for everyone involved. Here's a feature that has become almost continual: the Gulf of Alaska low.

GOES-West - Sector view: Northern Pacific - Air Mass - NOAA / NESDIS / STAR

It seldom moves.

Debating whether human activities are the primary mover of these changes likewise is a waste of time for everyone involved. The only way a person can argue against humans being the primary mover of the changes in climate being observed is through willful ignorance, by referring to old studies, and by cherry picking old data.

The climatological evidence for human-driven climate change continues piling up, and yeah, climatologists have gotten some things wrong. Climatology is a rapidly evolving science, but, where things are headed is fairly clear. It's not a desirable destination.
About 10 years ago was the first time I heard the meteorological term "atmospheric river." My older brother and his wife had gone on vacation to stay in Myrtle Beach. Along the way, they had booked a couple of nights at a hotel in Nashville, so they could see a couple of shows at the Grand Ole Opry. Problem was it had been raining for a couple of days and wouldn't stop raining! After day after day after day of steady rain, the weather reports were telling everyone in mid-Tennessee that a storm system that was picking up moisture from the gulf and dropping it on their heads was STUCK and wouldn't move out!

It was a giant conveyor line just dumping more and more rain, hour after hour; until the nearby Cumberland River overflowed and broke through flood barriers flooding downtown Nashville. Without hardly any notice, cars were stuck in 3 feet of water and the Opry floor, seats and stage, along with a priceless museum exhibit were all flooded out, canceling the remaining shows, while new venues were found and a long renovation and cleaup job awaited. My brother and sister-in-law were fortunate enough to have stayed at a hotel that was on higher ground away from the river. They were stuck in Nashville a little longer than expected; but were fortunate enough to have just lost time and an opportunity, unlike locals who were living close to the flood plains.

"Atmospheric rivers" pop up in the weather news many times since then. Fortunately, the area I live in misses most severe storms that pass north and south of us. Who knows, but how long can that last! Time will tell!

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
About 10 years ago was the first time I heard the meteorological term "atmospheric river." My older brother and his wife had gone on vacation to stay in Myrtle Beach. Along the way, they had booked a couple of nights at a hotel in Nashville, so they could see a couple of shows at the Grand Ole Opry. Problem was it had been raining for a couple of days and wouldn't stop raining! After day after day after day of steady rain, the weather reports were telling everyone in mid-Tennessee that a storm system that was picking up moisture from the gulf and dropping it on their heads was STUCK and wouldn't move out!

It was a giant conveyor line just dumping more and more rain, hour after hour; until the nearby Cumberland River overflowed and broke through flood barriers flooding downtown Nashville. Without hardly any notice, cars were stuck in 3 feet of water and the Opry floor, seats and stage, along with a priceless museum exhibit were all flooded out, canceling the remaining shows, while new venues were found and a long renovation and cleaup job awaited. My brother and sister-in-law were fortunate enough to have stayed at a hotel that was on higher ground away from the river. They were stuck in Nashville a little longer than expected; but were fortunate enough to have just lost time and an opportunity, unlike locals who were living close to the flood plains.

"Atmospheric rivers" pop up in the weather news many times since then. Fortunately, the area I live in misses most severe storms that pass north and south of us. Who knows, but how long can that last! Time will tell!
Heretofore uncommon phenomena are becoming more common. "Stuck" weather patterns aren't new, but they weren't normal and now they are.

This is why record cold and record heat, record rain and record snow can occur on a warming planet.

Dec 2016
Canada
Heretofore uncommon phenomena are becoming more common. "Stuck" weather patterns aren't new, but they weren't normal and now they are.

This is why record cold and record heat, record rain and record snow can occur on a warming planet.
Several years ago, some statistician noted that record highs were occurring twice as often as record lows, so the overall trend moves in one direction - upward.

Precipitation is following a pattern that was predicted quite early on in climate analysis: that average precipitation would increase as higher temperatures allowed the atmosphere to hold more water vapor, BUT wouldn't be distributed evenly over time or distance. So some places like Australia over the past 20 years, are cycling between alternating patterns of floods and droughts (effectively destroying their agriculture and terminating Australia as a grain exporter) while some areas get wetter, with others becoming dryer and turning to desert.

Jul 2019
Georgia
not too much structural damage in the Savannah area, just some downed trees

power just went out in Mount Pleasant

so far, most damage has happened offshore to the right of the storm

eye wall will make a very close approach to Cape Romain, SC and then possibly kiss off the tip of Cape Fear later today

biggest threats are going to be tidal flooding and possibly tornadoes north of the eye in SC & NC

Jul 2019
Georgia
split trees, fallen trees, power outages, howling wind all around Charleston

tornadoes all around MB and NMB