I Bet They Don't Get $15/hr

Apr 2013
La La Land North
For a law to ban them? For the union outrage? For a customer revolt?

Personally, I don't think any of those are going to be operative. It's a fairly logical extension of what we have been seeing in almost all areas and industries. People being replaced by machines.

This is a conundrum of major proportions. Will there be enough jobs of any kind and at any wage for the number of people? The jobs decrease and the population increases.

Feb 2006
California
I had to run to the store on Saturday to pick up a few items from WalMart.

I only had a couple of items and stood in a long line to check out. The woman behind me said, Sir, it might be easier for you to use the Self Checkout. Other people in line heard what she said and I replied, let me explain why I REFUSE to use Self Checkout.

I said, see all these people working here, they do NOT get paid enough! WalMart is the richest company in the retail world and they refuse to pay their employees proper wages.

EVERY TIME you use the Self Checkout you are ELIMINATING JOBS!

Salisbury News: I Strongly Encourage You To NOT Use Self Checkout At WalMart

Just The Facts

Self chekout hates you.
It is evil.
It cannot be stopped.

C'mon, it's not SO bad, is it?

Self checkout machines hurt both the cashier and the customer. It combines the worst aspects of both retarded foreigners and old people in that it doesn't understand your intentions, communicates only by yelling incomprehensibly, and suspects everyone of theft and trying to take over its place in society.
The Experience for Customers.

It gives customers all the joys of cashiering. Remember that job you had when you were 16? Checking people out at the grocer? The one that made you realize how important college was so you didn't have to deal with the drooling mass of simpletons that make up modern day consumer America? Well now you get to do it again! But instead of the technology you were familiar with, you get a robot that hates you and will end you no matter what you do. The system runs on windows so god help us already. This actually happens quite often.

Self Checkout Machines | Cracked.com

Apr 2013
La La Land North
Actually, IC, I love self check-outs and use them every time I get the chance.

They are faster and much more convenient, IMO.

May 2013
Massachusetts
Inevitable. It wont be stopped, it can't be stopped, and it shouldn't be stopped. Our progress will not be impeded by our reliance on one specific socio-economic system. It never was impeded in similar historical situations and it wont be impeded in the coming century.

We, as a society, will adjust ourselves accordingly. Whether you want to be an early adapter or drag your feet in the sand the whole way is your choice.

Apr 2013
La La Land North
Inevitable. It wont be stopped, it can't be stopped, and it shouldn't be stopped. Our progress will not be impeded by our reliance on one specific socio-economic system. It never was impeded in similar historical situations and it wont be impeded in the coming century.

We, as a society, will adjust ourselves accordingly. Whether you want to be an early adapter or drag your feet in the sand the whole way is your choice.
That's the way I see it, but in which direction will we transition? With all kinds of minor variations I can only see two main thrusts.

Either towards more horrible, rank poverty from extensive unemployment.

Or having ever greater numbers totally supported by society.

I don't think this idyllic (to some) concept of giving families a plot of land so they can subsistence farm, and make crafts to trade at the village square on Saturdays won't support the world's population. Love them or most probably hate them but the big farming corporations are efficient SOBs.

Feb 2006
California
Actually, IC, I love self check-outs and use them every time I get the chance.

They are faster and much more convenient, IMO.

I refuse to use them! Many years ago I was at a home depot waiting in line and a clerk came and practically ordered me to use self checkout, I told her that I prefer the interaction with a human being, she repeated that I must use it, I threw the shit I was going to purchase on the floor ( 3 of my children were with me) and walked out. They told me "Dad you can't do that" I told them I just did! Went to an Ace hardware and purchased the items, I told them people need to be in this position, not machines!

Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
yep.. Companies have X dollars to spend on employees

so they can pay 100 employees $7.50/hour. or they can pay 75 10.75/hour or 50 employees $15/hour.

that is the real world.