I got the flu shot today! (What did I get?)

Jul 2018
Trump World! Where the circus is always in town.
I finally got the flu shot. First one I have ever had.

I asked what was in it... what strains it may protect me against? The attendee did not know. The Doctor did not know. A second doctor did not know.
Instead they tried to hand me papers which advocated the flu shot be taken.

So I am wondering, does anyone here know what was in their flu shot? What strains am I possibly protected against? If the received the appropriate vaccine? Who manufactured it? Was it age/method of delivery appropriate?

and if not, why not? What a society of sheep we are. Government tells us to get a flu shot (not the best solution to flu to start with) and we go.

Jan 2014
My doctor just had a long talk with me about flu shots.
This is how I understand it.... the flu shots are designed to attack the strain of flu that is anticipated to be the worse in any given year.
That’s it! After the doc talked to me for a half hour, that is all I can figure out.
Maybe someone here with more medical knowledge can give better information.
By the way, I declined the shot and the doc told me to stay away from crowds and wash my hands often.

Sep 2015
Brown Township, Ohio

I asked what was in it... what strains it may protect me against? The attendee did not know. The Doctor did not know. A second doctor did not know.

So I am wondering, does anyone here know what was in their flu shot? What strains am I possibly protected against? If the received the appropriate vaccine? Who manufactured it? Was it age/method of delivery appropriate?

and if not, why not? What a society of sheep we are. Government tells us to get a flu shot (not the best solution to flu to start with) and we go.

You got a ticket to the grave thanks to CDC.

Jul 2018
My doctor just had a long talk with me about flu shots.
This is how I understand it.... the flu shots are designed to attack the strain of flu that is anticipated to be the worse in any given year.
That’s it! After the doc talked to me for a half hour, that is all I can figure out.
Maybe someone here with more medical knowledge can give better information.
By the way, I declined the shot and the doc told me to stay away from crowds and wash my hands often.
Here is the thing, we can track the progression of the flu on the CDC site. We can see what strains are active and just how active. If we know what we MAY be protected against we can make better decisions, like weather to attend church or a concert. Go out to eat or stay home....

But without knowing what you are "MAYBE" protected against, it's not so easy.

As for washing hands, it 5 times more effective to use a sanitizer.

Off subject, I still can't recall where I know you from.....:(

Right after I posted this it came to me..... you are from the site that ran me off because I was open to Trump... correct?

Keeping an open mind is frowned upon by both sides is my take away from that experience.

Jun 2018
South Dakota
Wifey and I both got the shots for over 10 yrs now. The shots last year missed the strain that actually hit us. We both got it and were virtually incapacitated for about a week. Unfortunatly we were in Calif on our annual winter trip and got the usual terrible treatment out of the medical services there.
This doesn't mean I'll forgo the shot this year, I've already had mine. As we advance in age the immunizations become more important. We like to think that our vulnerability to flu and pneumonia is slight due to never having had it before................WRONG!

As a kid my friends and I, as we took the shortcut thru the cemetary, noted all the people who died in 1918. When we asked our folks about it they told us the story of the "Spanish flu" that killed millions world wide. Seeing those gravestones for entire families made a believer of me. Living thru the huge Polio scare in the 1950s reinforced it.

Jul 2018
As a kid my friends and I, as we took the shortcut thru the cemetary, noted all the people who died in 1918. When we asked our folks about it they told us the story of the "Spanish flu" that killed millions world wide. Seeing those gravestones for entire families made a believer of me. Living thru the huge Polio scare in the 1950s reinforced it.
and this is what upsets me about this country an their stupid flu shot (you do realized only we and Canada even recommend the damned thing)

If you recall the H1N1, it was said to be as deadly as the 1918 flu. Thank God it was not because it spread like wild fire! The vaccine was obviously a failure.

Guess what? The CDC called it a big success for the vaccine! I was floored.

Like last year. A 20% success rate.... by their own calculation... goes up to a 60% success rate in hind sight.

It's all about the cash.... real republican stuff

Dec 2015
Arizona

Your doctor should have been more specific but the flu shots DO change every year, depending on the strain of influenza.
The flu vaccine contains tiny amounts of the viruses it protects against. The presence of these viruses in the vaccine triggers the body's natural defense mechanism to produce antibodies to fight them. This means that the body quickly recognizes them when exposed to the disease in "real life."

Different influenza viruses contained in a flu shot are:

• influenza A virus H1N1 called the Michigan strain
  • Influenza A virus H3N2 called the Hong Kong strain
  • one or two influenza B viruses called the Brisbane and Phuket strains

Traditional flu shots are trivalent (three-component) vaccines because they protect against three viruses: two influenza A viruses (H1N1 and H3N2), and one influenza B virus.

Flu shot ingredients: What they contain and why