I got the flu shot today! (What did I get?)

Jul 2018
Trump World! Where the circus is always in town.
Your doctor should have been more specific but the flu shots DO change every year, depending on the strain of influenza.
The flu vaccine contains tiny amounts of the viruses it protects against. The presence of these viruses in the vaccine triggers the body's natural defense mechanism to produce antibodies to fight them. This means that the body quickly recognizes them when exposed to the disease in "real life."

Different influenza viruses contained in a flu shot are:

• influenza A virus H1N1 called the Michigan strain
  • Influenza A virus H3N2 called the Hong Kong strain
  • one or two influenza B viruses called the Brisbane and Phuket strains

Traditional flu shots are trivalent (three-component) vaccines because they protect against three viruses: two influenza A viruses (H1N1 and H3N2), and one influenza B virus.

Flu shot ingredients: What they contain and why
Thanks Clara but i read this page before I posted this thread. It does not answer my questions in more than a general way. I don't think I would have to guess as to what exactly I was protected against or if it was age and delivery appropriate. (I know it was delivery appropriate, just saying) How do I know if I got protection to 3 or 4 strains in the shot?

Oct 2010
Colorado
Your doctor should have been more specific but the flu shots DO change every year, depending on the strain of influenza.
The flu vaccine contains tiny amounts of the viruses it protects against. The presence of these viruses in the vaccine triggers the body's natural defense mechanism to produce antibodies to fight them. This means that the body quickly recognizes them when exposed to the disease in "real life."

Different influenza viruses contained in a flu shot are:

• influenza A virus H1N1 called the Michigan strain
  • Influenza A virus H3N2 called the Hong Kong strain
  • one or two influenza B viruses called the Brisbane and Phuket strains

Traditional flu shots are trivalent (three-component) vaccines because they protect against three viruses: two influenza A viruses (H1N1 and H3N2), and one influenza B virus.

Flu shot ingredients: What they contain and why
The Phuket strain, every time I see Phuket, I think:

Person #1: Where did you say you were from?

Person #2: Phuket.

Person #1: Hey, dude, chill, I was just asking.

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
The recent outbreak of flu has highlighted some MAJOR holes in the effectiveness of the flu vaccine.

Speculation has been rife for years about how effective, and indeed necessary the flu vaccine is for many people, and now the statistics reveal the shocking truth.

After health professionals admitting that this years flu have vaccines have often been as little as 10% effective, new data shows that 7 out of every 8 people who have died from this years outbreak HAD actually received the shot, so what exactly is it meant to be protecting against?

For years now, the producers of the flu vaccine (Big Pharma) and the distributors of it (the doctors) have peddled the same lies about the flu vaccine being a necessity to people who they say are at risk – young children, the elderly and people suffering from respiratory problems such as asthma.

But the dire statistics this year show how the flu shot has actually been more deadly than the virus itself.

The Department of Justice has issued statistics outlining how much, and for which vaccines they have payed out compensation for, and the flu shot is by far the highest.

Their stats show that 275 of the 332 cases where compensation was awarded, it was for damages payed after receiving the flu vaccine, and out of the 5 deaths reported, 4 of them were from the flu vaccine.

The stats show how the flu vaccine IS dangerous to some people who are advised to get it.

7 of the 8 Individuals Who Died of Flu HAD Received the Flu Shot

Apr 2013
Left coast
The recent outbreak of flu has highlighted some MAJOR holes in the effectiveness of the flu vaccine.

Speculation has been rife for years about how effective, and indeed necessary the flu vaccine is for many people, and now the statistics reveal the shocking truth.

After health professionals admitting that this years flu have vaccines have often been as little as 10% effective, new data shows that 7 out of every 8 people who have died from this years outbreak HAD actually received the shot, so what exactly is it meant to be protecting against?

For years now, the producers of the flu vaccine (Big Pharma) and the distributors of it (the doctors) have peddled the same lies about the flu vaccine being a necessity to people who they say are at risk – young children, the elderly and people suffering from respiratory problems such as asthma.

But the dire statistics this year show how the flu shot has actually been more deadly than the virus itself.

The Department of Justice has issued statistics outlining how much, and for which vaccines they have payed out compensation for, and the flu shot is by far the highest.

Their stats show that 275 of the 332 cases where compensation was awarded, it was for damages payed after receiving the flu vaccine, and out of the 5 deaths reported, 4 of them were from the flu vaccine.

The stats show how the flu vaccine IS dangerous to some people who are advised to get it.

7 of the 8 Individuals Who Died of Flu HAD Received the Flu Shot
I get the flu shot every year. I have done so since 1984 with only one exception, the year I was in Russia through the fall/winter. I have had the flu once in those years, and it was late summer, a very unusual thing.

I am highly compromised with multiple lung issues. If I get the flu it is just about guaranteed that I will croak. Can someone blame the flu vaccine for that? Hell no.

This year's vaccine contains two A strains of the H1N1 and H3N2 viruses, and two strains of the B/Victoria and B/Yamagata. Health officials think that will be a good match.
Mrs. RNG and I just got our shingles vaccines. It's listed as only 90% effective. But still worthwhile. If you want 100%, shoot yourself in the mouth in a 45° upward trajectory. That one is about the closest I can think of of a guaranteed health outcome.

Last year's flu vaccine wasn't very effective. This year's looks more promising | CBC News

Apr 2015
Stockport. UK
I think my government’s stand is the most cost effective and sensible in regard to flu shots, if your health is compromised or you are very young or old you need to have a flu shot, anyone else don’t bother.

Apr 2013
Left coast
I think my government’s stand is the most cost effective and sensible in regard to flu shots, if your health is compromised or you are very young or old you need to have a flu shot, anyone else don’t bother.
Healthcare is a provincial matter. The feds do encourage everyone getting flu shots. But in both Alberta and BC, people who work in hospitals must get them or wear a face mask at all times. They think they are worth it.

And I can't comment on the situation in the US, but here it is in fact a money losing thing because the old, the young and the compromised, as well as caregivers for the above and medical personnel get it at not charge. And if you don't hit any of those criteria, it's just gone up to $25 from $20 this year.

Apr 2015
Stockport. UK
Healthcare is a provincial matter. The feds do encourage everyone getting flu shots. But in both Alberta and BC, people who work in hospitals must get them or wear a face mask at all times. They think they are worth it.
It's not a question really of them thinking they are worth it (though I'm sure they are) it's the fact they have multiple contacts with people in the high risk groups and giving them these shots reduces the likelihood of them infecting these groups with the flu.