I regret that I have but one grandparent to give for my country

Nov 2005
California
No death is too unnecessary, no gain too small.

Ask yourself whether your so-called reason for not volunteering your life in the hope that Donald Trump’s branded properties will not lose another day’s income is not instead a selfish excuse! Is your not getting to share the world with your grandchildren so great a prize that Donald Trump should be forced to be marginally worse off for a brief time? Think of all the money he has given up already to be president, which, he assured us, is LOTS — even when you remember what he gained back through emoluments!

Dare you not requite his sacrifice with all you have to give? This is rude and selfish of you, to say that your life is worth more than someone’s money. And I am not speaking of the money of people who need to go to work to feed their families, who are being devastated by this, who might be helped with a spreading of the social safety net. I am speaking of something greater. I am speaking of the stocks!

We have the ability to support the individuals and businesses who would suffer from a shutdown of the length medically necessary to stem the virus, but why bother? When instead we can toss aside precious, irreplaceable human beings? Now is not the time for sensible measures. Think about what a good idea World War I was! Think of the stirring music and the posters! Is now any less the time for a senseless, massive loss of human life that will ultimately devastate the country far more than a failure to return to work for the months required? We cannot put a price on what will be lost — so how much could it possibly be worth?

Doctors, why do you hesitate to fling in your lot? Is the single mask you have been issued not sufficient? Do you not know that there is MONEY somewhere, dwindling? I would suggest that you plaster dollar bills to your face, but they are all needed to bolster the Businessmen in this difficult time. Yes, you have a family, but is the family LEGAL TENDER? Then why do you fear that you might never see it again?

What joy are people? What is so precious in being alive, a human being with the ability to experience this maddening and brilliant world, when you know that somewhere, the Dow is going down instead of up? The chance to make it go up instead of down — even for a flicker of a moment — is that not worth everything? What makes life worth living? I am pretty sure it is not “possessing any connection whatsoever to other human beings”; or else the president has been doing it very wrong.

Here is your chance to serve! And there is still a place in the line for the people who did not ask to be volunteered — but you must help them! You can sacrifice them, too, by your decision, because this disease conveniently does not understand who is stepping up and who is not.

Just as we do not make any attempt to regulate traffic so that people do not perish needlessly in car accidents, just as when buildings are aflame we do not keep people from congregating inside them, so, too, must we now rush back to normalcy, at an unthinkable cost, to no purpose whatsoever.

We’ll have the country open by Easter! Think what more glorious fate there could possibly be than to die for nothing at all!

From time to time there are statements that some military actions (e.g. Iraq, etc) are motivated by corporate money => oil.
Speaking hypothetically, if such statements were true that would be morally repugnant. Our fighting men and women do not enlist / commission and risk their lives and die so that some companies can profit.

I urge people to consider the parallel where we are asking our elderly who did not volunteer to risk their lives for other people's money. Instead of protecting our sick and dying, some are asking that we should make the problem worse. And those who are speaking out the loudest (Beck, LT Gov of Texas, etc) are asking this from a privileged position of being able to throw millions into their healthcare if they get sick ...
... while the elderly they think we should risk would typically be covered by Medicare / Medicaid or other services.

While I personally think there could be a discussion for balance in our approach, asking people to die just because people are suffering economically is downright disgusting. Worse, we would not be in this mess if Trump weren't such an unmitigated boil on the face of rationality and he idiotically squandered our optimal preparedness in favor of him fixating on how the disease might impact him politically.
It was the equivalent of having a strong home security system purchased and in place, but Trump just neglected to enable it because he was concerned that doing so would harm his image. :mad:

Feb 2018
Oregon

While I personally think there could be a discussion for balance in our approach, asking people to die just because people are suffering economically is downright disgusting. Worse, we would not be in this mess if Trump weren't such an unmitigated boil on the face of rationality and he idiotically squandered our optimal preparedness in favor of him fixating on how the disease might impact him politically.
Exactly. He has been very clear on this, and made no attempt to hide his evil,...... I say EVIL! .... concern for his image while disregarding the wellbeing of the entire nation. He is apparently unable to grasp the hypocrisy and evil of it.

This repeating trait of his should be and would normally be sufficient grounds for his Amendment XXV removal from office since it has damaged and continues to threaten us all. But he has a compliant, criminal, renegade Senate protecting him. I have big hopes for the 2020 election, if he and the Republicans allow it to happen.

Reactions: LL2 and Clara007
Nov 2012
Michigan
Before the COViD 19 virus had been we losing 50,000 a year to flu bugs already , should we have shut down the economy before this?

• Haha
Reactions: thor gonzales
Feb 2020
dfw, texas

From time to time there are statements that some military actions (e.g. Iraq, etc) are motivated by corporate money => oil.
Speaking hypothetically, if such statements were true that would be morally repugnant. Our fighting men and women do not enlist / commission and risk their lives and die so that some companies can profit.

I urge people to consider the parallel where we are asking our elderly who did not volunteer to risk their lives for other people's money. Instead of protecting our sick and dying, some are asking that we should make the problem worse. And those who are speaking out the loudest (Beck, LT Gov of Texas, etc) are asking this from a privileged position of being able to throw millions into their healthcare if they get sick ...
... while the elderly they think we should risk would typically be covered by Medicare / Medicaid or other services.

It was the equivalent of having a strong home security system purchased and in place, but Trump just neglected to enable it because he was concerned that doing so would harm his image. :mad:
that headline is hilarious....

how about, i know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me a rising stock market or give me death..

Jul 2019
Georgia
remember the movie The Beach,
when they moved all the dead people out of sight so they could continue living their illusion of paradise

pretty prophetic

Feb 2020
dfw, texas
Before the COViD 19 virus had been we losing 50,000 a year to flu bugs already , should we have shut down the economy before this?
well, no it was never 50,000. the swine flu was 12,000 and it infected 60 million people!! and we have vaccines for flu, and people who are exposed to the flu build up an immunity. in a new virus, it takes a long time for the general population to build up any kind of social immunity that protects society from too large an outbreak, such as the swine flu and this one. the point is, the swine flu was similar to what we knew, was not scary, but it was dangerous. we had tests for swine flu that were simple and common. people who got it were not freaking out and rushing to emergency rooms and doctors and hospitals and 99.9 percent did NOT DIE...did not need respirators and masks and take up hospital space.

2009 H1N1 Pandemic (H1N1pdm09 virus) | Pandemic ...
www.cdc.gov › flu › pandemic-resources › 2009-h1n1-pandemic

Jun 11, 2019 - The 2009 H1N1 Pandemic: A New Flu Virus Emerges ... offered little cross-protection against (H1N1)pdm09 virus infection. ... and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus.
While a monovalent (H1N1)pdm09 vaccine was produced, it was not available in large quantities until late November—after the peak of illness during the second wave had come and gone in the United States. From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (range: 195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus.

Reactions: se7en
Nov 2012
Michigan
well, no it was never 50,000. the swine flu was 12,000 and it infected 60 million people!! and we have vaccines for flu, and people who are exposed to the flu build up an immunity. in a new virus, it takes a long time for the general population to build up any kind of social immunity that protects society from too large an outbreak, such as the swine flu and this one. the point is, the swine flu was similar to what we knew, was not scary, but it was dangerous. we had tests for swine flu that were simple and common. people who got it were not freaking out and rushing to emergency rooms and doctors and hospitals and 99.9 percent did NOT DIE...did not need respirators and masks and take up hospital space.

2009 H1N1 Pandemic (H1N1pdm09 virus) | Pandemic ...
www.cdc.gov › flu › pandemic-resources › 2009-h1n1-pandemic

Jun 11, 2019 - The 2009 H1N1 Pandemic: A New Flu Virus Emerges ... offered little cross-protection against (H1N1)pdm09 virus infection. ... and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus.
While a monovalent (H1N1)pdm09 vaccine was produced, it was not available in large quantities until late November—after the peak of illness during the second wave had come and gone in the United States. From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (range: 195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus.
So there is a percent of deaths that is ok?

Dec 2014
Memphis, Tn.

RW conservatives are ALWAYS ready to bravely throw someone else on that live grenade.