I think that religion is ridiculous and useless.

Nov 2017
Can anyone think of how or why religion isn't ridiculous or how it's useful?

I think Richard Dawkins basically had it right; he was asked, at least once, something to the effect of what is religion good for & his response was essentially "absolutely nothing."

Nov 2017
Great architecture, decent choral and many great organs.
I am not sure what there is to complain about.
Those are examples of artistic things; I'm referring to things like worship, praying, rituals (not for its artistic context), chanting (not for its artistic context), belief in things inconsistent with or contrary to what's shown by the scientific method, belief in an afterlife (I don't have a problem with speculating about an afterlife, but it still seems rather pointless), belief in going to a pleasant place for eternity after life (heaven), or an unpleasant place for eternity (hell), the notion of things like sins, blasphemy, thinking it's ok to harm, abuse, or kill someone else who doesn't hold your religious views or beliefs - that sort of stuff.

Jul 2018
Trump World! Where the circus is always in town.
Those are examples of artistic things; I'm referring to things like worship, praying, rituals (not for its artistic context), chanting (not for its artistic context), belief in things inconsistent with or contrary to what's shown by the scientific method, belief in an afterlife (I don't have a problem with speculating about an afterlife, but it still seems rather pointless), belief in going to a pleasant place for eternity after life (heaven), or an unpleasant place for eternity (hell), the notion of things like sins, blasphemy, thinking it's ok to harm, abuse, or kill someone else who doesn't hold your religious views or beliefs - that sort of stuff.
All this stuff you care about is in your head. So, it's on you.You have the choice to ignore all that and just enjoy the artistry, the pageantry and the community it offers or worry about the voodoo. I can't be bothered with the voodoo stuff myself.

Nov 2017
It is very useful for unethical rulers as a way of subjugating the believers and keep them subservient.
Generally speaking, I have reservations about the concept or notion of ethics, but I do agree with your general sentiment, here.

It's a topic for another thread, but concepts or notions like ethics, morals, virtues, integrity, etc. are something I want to explore & maybe eventually have a discussion about some day. If the context is something understood & agreed upon, they may be acceptable & useful concepts, but without that it seems ethics itself has the same issues that religion has in not seeming to be useful.

You do essentially contextualize ethics by referencing "rulers", so it seems it may be ok as something useful, to make your point.

Nov 2017
All this stuff you care about is in your head. So, it's on you.You have the choice to ignore all that and just enjoy the artistry, the pageantry and the community it offers or worry about the voodoo. I can't be bothered with the voodoo stuff myself.
I'm for freedom of religion just as much as I'm for freedom of speech, press, etc. I don't have a problem with someone else having and practicing their religion or religious beliefs, provided they don't try to impose or force them on me. I'm also first, and foremost, for freedom from religion; that's essentially the first thing the 1st Amendment is saying & that shows how important that is.

There are people getting their heads chopped off by rabidly religious zealots; that's not just in my head: Trial opens for 24 accused in killing, beheading of Scandinavian hikers in Morocco

Jul 2018
Trump World! Where the circus is always in town.
I'm for freedom of religion just as much as I'm for freedom of speech, press, etc. I don't have a problem with someone else having and practicing their religion or religious beliefs, provided they don't try to impose or force them on me. I'm also first, and foremost, for freedom from religion; that's essentially the first thing the 1st Amendment is saying & that shows how important that is.

There are people getting their heads chopped off by rabidly religious zealots; that's not just in my head: Trial opens for 24 accused in killing, beheading of Scandinavian hikers in Morocco
I very much support freedom from religion. I believe religion should be as gay in the military was, don't ask, don't tell.

Otherwise put, if you are gonna do that shit keep it in your home.

Dec 2016
Canada
Can anyone think of how or why religion isn't ridiculous or how it's useful?
If organized religion (which is what you're describing here) has no merits or purpose, why is it still so important to so many today?
Basic principle: to each his own...or her own, should apply here in situations where people follow certain beliefs, principles or rituals that they feel gives their lives meaning.
I think Richard Dawkins basically had it right; he was asked, at least once, something to the effect of what is religion good for & his response was essentially "absolutely nothing."
I thought you said religion is ridiculous, and now you're quoting the pompous, arrogant ass who turned atheism into a religion!

Dec 2016
Canada
Does every religion declare that humans have an afterlife? Pantheistic religions tell us that we live in a world where everything is alive...but then along came the warrior sky gods who preached that life (souls) comes from up above, and earth is inert and lifeless, and so can be used (or wasted and destroyed) however men choose to. It certainly would have been a much better world if the universal beliefs in the earth mother goddess prevailed against the invading hordes led by skydaddies!

Anyway, I don't see the new atheistic humanist gods of science and technology as a step up from warrior god which preceded them. So, we exchanged a JudeoChristian god who told us that the earth, and all the plants and animals are just here for human exploitation, with the new atheist god of secular humanism, which has just jetisoned the supernatural entirely, instead of saying it's up there and not part of our earthly affairs.

Either way, we're heading towards destruction on a ecologically devastated and warming planet with dwindling resources filled by secular rational scientific leaders who are too stupid to notice the trends working towards our species' near term extinction in a short manner of decades from now.....that is providing Trump doesn't end the human experiment because he wants to see what happens when nuclear bombs go off!