If a city was being designed from scratch, what would you like for it to have?

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
You are being obtuse. The problem is the massive teacher pension shortfall that is the problem. Its not the cost of fire engines. The high cost of trying to cover these shortfalls is what is going to make school rooms crappy and police stations short on personnel.
Don't forget administration costs

Jul 2014
massachusetts
I can speak firsthand about my city of Chicago where we have had Democrat majority rule for the past 80 years. The shortfall is a 25 billion dollar liability. Its only 52% funded. I am not saying it is only Democrats but your first reaction of saying it is a Republican caused problem is foolish.
What happened is that when the teachers asked for a raise, the city would say, how about a small raise but a generous pension?

That allowed politicians to deliver schools and keep taxes low.
It was a way of borrowing that didn't show up on the books.
It wasn't a party based thing, it happened everywhere.
All it means is that taxes are too low.

Jul 2015
chicago
What happened is that when the teachers asked for a raise, the city would say, how about a small raise but a generous pension?

That allowed politicians to deliver schools and keep taxes low.
It was a way of borrowing that didn't show up on the books.
It wasn't a party based thing, it happened everywhere.
All it means is that taxes are too low.
Teachers did not ask" for a raise. They had a strike and demanded contracts for raises and for pensions.

Sep 2018
cleveland ohio
The word you are looking for is "negotiated", in the end, there was agreement, a contract was signed, by all parties.
The polder model (Dutch: poldermodel) is consensus decision-making, based on the acclaimed Dutch version of consensus-based economic and social policy making in the 1980s and 1990s. The polder model has been described as "a pragmatic recognition of pluriformity" and "cooperation despite differences".
got any munchies?

Feb 2014
Oregon
Here's the link to TVP's website: The Venus Project
Neil, good fight to keep your thread on topic. I think Pheonix Arizona has been well laid out with four-lane highways. I do not remember any mazes when I was visiting there but in Eugene and Springfield Oregon there are many mazes and I hate them! I would outlaw them.

I am strongly in favor of bridges over railroad tracks. We live in a valley and can hear the train whistles for miles. We have housing right next to the railroad and the whistle blows at every intersection. Clearly, this is a result of lack of planning and uncontrolled growth. At first, it was industry alongside the railroad and this beautiful as the industrialist had easy access to rail transport. Then there was housing in walking distance of industry. Salem Oregon was organized by river transportation and Eugene used its rivers for sewage so industrial waste went into the river, and the railroad went through this area.

An improvement is clean rivers and having a house by the river is highly desirable, this has changed everything along with reliance on trucking.

When I did Sim City I loved connecting industry with the railroad and the airport and a seaport if that was possible. That was a wonderful game to play, but a little unrealistic. There were no limits to economic growth as long as there was a balance of income and expenses. Reality is not like that. Industry needs resources and nature did not give us an infinite supply of resources.

I want to bring up, areas with resources such as timber or oil, as a source of revenue, can give people the best of everything and tax them very little. But when the resource is gone, the economy goes to hell. I think we are failing to adequately plan for good economies.

Nov 2017
I have been aware of the Venus Project for many years and it is far from perfect. Imagethat is right when he says we need to prepare our young to think for themselves and to be able to resolve problems. That is how we near perfection, not by engineer our notions of Utopia and trying to control for that.
Well that's what engineering is about, thinking to resolve problems (and "control" them by making them go away or keeping them in check at least), except it's specifically for creating the things we needs.

This movie is over 3 hours long, however, if think we think we can build the ideal world for future generations, we really need to watch it or read the book Brave New World.

I've read the book & I think it's a pretty good story. I like that they made that movie & I've also seen it a couple times, but its production outdated & the quality is awful - it looks like it was put together like a high school play.

There's a more recent remake of a movie, starring Nimoy, but it was also a made for TV movie; the production quality is much better, though: Brave New World (TV Movie 1998) - IMDb

I don't know why it hasn't been made into a movie theater quality movie, so far, but I think it would be pretty cool if they did.