If a city was being designed from scratch, what would you like for it to have?

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
You are being obtuse. The problem is the massive teacher pension shortfall that is the problem. Its not the cost of fire engines. The high cost of trying to cover these shortfalls is what is going to make school rooms crappy and police stations short on personnel.
Don't forget administration costs

Jul 2014
massachusetts
I can speak firsthand about my city of Chicago where we have had Democrat majority rule for the past 80 years. The shortfall is a 25 billion dollar liability. Its only 52% funded. I am not saying it is only Democrats but your first reaction of saying it is a Republican caused problem is foolish.
What happened is that when the teachers asked for a raise, the city would say, how about a small raise but a generous pension?

That allowed politicians to deliver schools and keep taxes low.
It was a way of borrowing that didn't show up on the books.
It wasn't a party based thing, it happened everywhere.
All it means is that taxes are too low.

Jul 2015
chicago
What happened is that when the teachers asked for a raise, the city would say, how about a small raise but a generous pension?

That allowed politicians to deliver schools and keep taxes low.
It was a way of borrowing that didn't show up on the books.
It wasn't a party based thing, it happened everywhere.
All it means is that taxes are too low.
Teachers did not ask" for a raise. They had a strike and demanded contracts for raises and for pensions.

Sep 2018
cleveland ohio
The word you are looking for is "negotiated", in the end, there was agreement, a contract was signed, by all parties.
The polder model (Dutch: poldermodel) is consensus decision-making, based on the acclaimed Dutch version of consensus-based economic and social policy making in the 1980s and 1990s. The polder model has been described as "a pragmatic recognition of pluriformity" and "cooperation despite differences".
got any munchies?