If a city was being designed from scratch, what would you like for it to have?

Feb 2014
Oregon
Well that's what engineering is about, thinking to resolve problems (and "control" them by making them go away or keeping them in check at least), except it's specifically for creating the things we needs.
I so regret I now have very limited time on the internet! Today's arguments have been super great and I would love to the hours of my days with these debates. I also don't dare watch the new movie you offered because I am very restricted by bytes! I don't know how to keep track of how many bytes of information I am using. I only know I don't dare play games or watch movies because all bytes of information will be used up in a very short time. This really sucks because I would love to watch the movie.

My father was an engineer and his son and a grandson are engineers. One might say engineering is a bible to my family. :lol: Notice the engineers have been males. My father thought women should marry, and then stay home to care for the husband and children. I strongly value that division of the sexes. Men are good for building physical bridges. Their ability to meet human needs can be lacking. I hope what I have said can be taken on a philosophical level opening discussion without closing everyone down and making them defensive. The desire to control, and a limited understanding of what is important can, be harmful. Richard M. Brichner, M.D. wrote in his book "Is Germany Incurable?" 1943 that paranoia is an excessive need to be superior and in control. From my point of view, this tends to an alpha male tendency and this tendency needs a feminine counterweight. We need our problems and the freedom to resolve them, and that freedom begins with education. It is all those problems that make life interesting, and experiencing our ability to resolve them is what gives us self-esteem and a joy in living. So I would choose to live outside of the Brave New World's controlled society.

I've read the book & I think it's a pretty good story. I like that they made that movie & I've also seen it a couple times, but its production outdated & the quality is awful - it looks like it was put together like a high school play.

There's a more recent remake of a movie, starring Nimoy, but it was also a made for TV movie; the production quality is much better, though: Brave New World (TV Movie 1998) - IMDb

I don't know why it hasn't been made into a movie theater quality movie, so far, but I think it would be pretty cool if they did.
I am so glad you know the book and the movies! I don't think the "powers that be" want a theater-quality movie and for us to talk of Eisenhower's warning about the Industrial, Military Complex, a society controlled by the "experts". Our Statue of Liberty is a female, and military controlled countries make feminism shameful. I today's feminist who are as militant as males with their in your face demands. How can we speak truth when our words can mean the opposite of their original meaning? Or when we must meet power with power rather than a broader understanding of our humanity? Women's lib did not free us to be feminine but made being feminine taboo. To hold a position in the Brave New World or New World Order is equal to holding one's position in the military. In the Brave New World story, it is a male who questions the rightness of that order, not a woman who is excluded because of her gender. Don't worry if you don't understand what I am saying. I am not sure of what I am saying. o_O But there may be an important value to being excluded? To be on the outside looking in gives one a different perspective. To be on the inside necessitates thinking like everyone else in the inside, because to think differently leads to being rejected. Bureaucracies are like huge amoebas. They consume everything and spit out what they can assimilate. This leads to imbalance and self-destruction. Society needs outside voices to constantly correct those imbalances.

Our ideal city must have ideal education for our humanness as well for our material advancement. :D

Feb 2014
Oregon
A riverwalk system that uses boats to get around rather than cars.
That is a lovely idea! Many of us enjoy living and walking along rivers. There would be maintenance issues and preventing a misquotes is one of them, but that could make good jobs while making the city more enjoyable.

Nov 2012
nirvana
Suppose someone bought a very large plot of land literally out in the middle of nowhere, where there's nothing but sand, for pennies per acre, and they're planning on creating a city from scratch. This plot of land is a blank slate, where the planners & designers can lay out the roadways, buildings, infrastructure, airports, railroad stations, utility facilities, etc. wherever they want to. Let's also suppose that you were asked what would you want it to have or not have; what would you say?

To put the question into perspective, here are some examples:

Railroad crossings - one thing I would do is arrange for there to be no railroad crossings, by having one or the other on a bridge or through a tunnel under the other. Part of the design optimization for implementing this specification would be to minimize the number of points where railroads and roadways for vehicles intersect, in order to minimize the number of bridges/tunnels that are needed.

Driveways that connect directly to roads with a speed limit greater than 25 MPH - I would arrange for all homes to be in residential areas with their driveways connecting to roads with only a 25 MPH or less speed limit.

No dangerous or risky roadway layouts - for instance, I would arrange roadways so the onramps all have a merge lane with plenty of length before it ends.

No confusing roadway layouts - for instance, no having to navigate through an area like a maze just to get somewhere.

Being able to get from any one point to any other within 45 minutes - at first, with a blank slate, there won't be hardly anyone living there, but as time goes by, and more people move in, there will be more traffic. The prudent thing to do would be to set aside tracks of land that will be designated as future freeways, and make them wide enough for them to be able to expand to accommodate plenty of lanes.

Airports - one of the problems with airports is the noise pollution; the areas that are susceptible to noise pollution can be used for things like farm lands, or industrial purposes, rather than being areas for residents, retail stores, parks/recreational areas, etc.

Eyesores - for example, having telephone poles with cables stretched between them and large transformers mounted on them are not very aesthetic, so I would have underground conduits for running all these cables.
Community high speed broad band internet service available to all citizens

Nov 2012
nirvana
That would be very nice. It would increase equality and free speech and may even counteract disenfranchising people because of their low income.
It's the inner workings that make a quality city. When you have top of the line utilities, water, sewage, gas, trash disposal, street cleaning, transportation infrastructure, and high speed internet available to everyone, everything else is just architecture.