If a city was being designed from scratch, what would you like for it to have?

Nov 2017
Bicycle lanes is one of the things I've thought about. I'm not sure what the best approach would be, whether it's to have regular traffic lanes designated as dual purpose bicycle lanes (I've seen these large bicycle symbols stamped in the middle of the road to specify that they're also for bicycle use & that's what I'm referring to), or those thin separate bicycle lanes on the far right of regular lanes, or completely separated paths specifically for bicycles, but I think it's better to design them from scratch than retrofitting existing streets with new bicycle lanes.

Bicycle lanes, along with sidewalks, crosswalks, and other features for pedestrian use, as well as what's needed for handicapped individuals, are all design parameters to account for.

For the restroom issue, I have seen where there are 3 options, a restroom for men, a restroom for women, and individual use restrooms. Something can certainly be one about that to make sure that restroom accommodations don't result in any conflict by simply including individual use restrooms anywhere there's a bank of restrooms.

Commuter bus service is also something that's retro-fitted into existing infrastructure, and often leads to buses having to quickly push through lanes to be able to make a left turn. For transportation in general, my thinking is that a combination of a subway system, commuter bus service, taxi & ride sharing pick-up/drop-off standing areas, and maybe even monorail system, could be designed so the ability for someone doing any traveling can easily transfer from one to the other; this includes setting up passenger train stations to be easily accessible by subway or monorail, along with taxi or ride-sharing standing areas, as well as links to airports.

These days, people aren't into owning their own vehicles & would rather be texting or watching videos on their smart phones, so there's more demand today for passenger transportation services. Another design parameter would be to make the roads more suitable for self-driving vehicles. There's actually plans to create a test bed city with no inhabitants, just to do things like experiments with driverless cars: A $1 billion city is being built in New Mexico — but no one will be allowed to live there

Imagine how much nicer it would be to be able to get to and from the airport from anywhere within the 25 square mile city area within about 1/2 hour & not having to pay the expensive rates for parking at the airport or having deal with driving around the complex & confusing areas in airport parking or pick-up & drop-off areas. Maybe the subway or monorail service taking travelers to the airport can consist of multiple stops in the airport to drop them off or pick them up so they're closer to their airline or flight gates.

Jul 2014
massachusetts
We have great old movie palace, built in 1920, all that beautiful scagliola, it was saved from the wreckers ball by an economic downturn caused by the closing of the United Shoe Machine Company. There was a magic show there for like 30 years, enough revenue to heat the building, patch the roof, etc.
Now they have concerts there, show some great movies, with a classic movie every month, Casablanca, The Wizard of Oz, the Big Lebowski, Psycho, the Indiana jones movies, and right across the street is place on the Downbeat 150 list of the best 150 jazz rooms in the world.

Last night we went down to Gloucester to the fabulous Cape Ann Cinema, we saw Ingmar Bergman's Autumn Sonata, which was Ingrid Bergman's last movie, introduced by Liv Ullman, after the movie, she told stories and took questions.
That's what an area should offer, great cultural events.
And tonight, after a day of sailing, we head to the Firehouse theatre in Newburyport, to see a friend perform in a local production.

Feb 2014
Oregon
A superb public transportation system.

Recycling of everything including human waste.

Truly affordable housing, affordable to buy and to own and operate.

Lots of green space, 1:1 or better.

Community gardens.

Intelligent, civic-minded inhabitants.
I am living in a community (unincorporated town) that was designed from scratch 30 years ago. What do you want to know??
What are the jobs and resources of your community?

Feb 2014
Oregon
Suppose someone bought a very large plot of land literally out in the middle of nowhere, where there's nothing but sand, for pennies per acre, and they're planning on creating a city from scratch. This plot of land is a blank slate, where the planners & designers can lay out the roadways, buildings, infrastructure, airports, railroad stations, utility facilities, etc. wherever they want to. Let's also suppose that you were asked what would you want it to have or not have; what would you say?

To put the question into perspective, here are some examples:

Railroad crossings - one thing I would do is arrange for there to be no railroad crossings, by having one or the other on a bridge or through a tunnel under the other. Part of the design optimization for implementing this specification would be to minimize the number of points where railroads and roadways for vehicles intersect, in order to minimize the number of bridges/tunnels that are needed.

Driveways that connect directly to roads with a speed limit greater than 25 MPH - I would arrange for all homes to be in residential areas with their driveways connecting to roads with only a 25 MPH or less speed limit.

No dangerous or risky roadway layouts - for instance, I would arrange roadways so the onramps all have a merge lane with plenty of length before it ends.

No confusing roadway layouts - for instance, no having to navigate through an area like a maze just to get somewhere.

Being able to get from any one point to any other within 45 minutes - at first, with a blank slate, there won't be hardly anyone living there, but as time goes by, and more people move in, there will be more traffic. The prudent thing to do would be to set aside tracks of land that will be designated as future freeways, and make them wide enough for them to be able to expand to accommodate plenty of lanes.

Airports - one of the problems with airports is the noise pollution; the areas that are susceptible to noise pollution can be used for things like farm lands, or industrial purposes, rather than being areas for residents, retail stores, parks/recreational areas, etc.

Eyesores - for example, having telephone poles with cables stretched between them and large transformers mounted on them are not very aesthetic, so I would have underground conduits for running all these cables.
It is really nice to have a thread that is something I want to think about. Lately, the threads seem so limited to what is unpleasant to think about.

I like Imaginethat's thoughts. However, before we can plan anything don't need to know what our resources are and what kinds of jobs we can have? We can't spend money if we don't have money to spend.

Dec 2015
Arizona
What are the jobs and resources of your community?

Pretty typical suburbian stuff: hospitals, clinics, retail stores, banks, restaurants, gas stations, real estate companies, assisted/independent living facilities, golf courses, 4 rec centers, social services, accounting, attorneys, churches, etc.
Is that what you meant?