If a city was being designed from scratch, what would you like for it to have?

Jun 2018
South Dakota
So, again. How are small towns prospering without the help of building and production??
They have jobs in the big city that they are unassociated suburbs of. Commonly referred to as "bedroom cities". In the large metro areas living in these places many times is expensive. In the less dense areas of the country there are many of these communitys that are quite affordable.

Dec 2015
Arizona
But where did the money for the donations to the hospital come from? Where did the money to buy the lots and pay the property taxes come from.

I read a stat once without digging into it that each primary job, at a factor or mine for example creates 1/3 of a job in the service industry and so on. But the money the service industry guys get came from the primary production.

Donations came from private citizens. Land was bought by investors and business owners. Example: Safeway--I love our Safeway store. When this community was built, Safeway (then owned by Merrill Lynch-I think) was recruited by Del Webb Corp and built their store in our downtown area. The same was true of Wells-Fargo, Chase and other banks and restaurants, also businesses like True Value and Ace Hardware.

Apr 2013
Left coast
Donations came from private citizens. Land was bought by investors and business owners. Example: Safeway--I love our Safeway store. When this community was built, Safeway (then owned by Merrill Lynch-I think) was recruited by Del Webb Corp and built their store in our downtown area. The same was true of Wells-Fargo, Chase and other banks and restaurants, also businesses like True Value and Ace Hardware.
Where did the private citizens get the money to donate? And Safeway and Wells-Fargo make money by providing a service that people who got their money directly or indirectly from a primary industry spend on the service.

With the decrease in new resources to exploit, more and more of the western economies are transitioning to service dominated jobs, but there still has to be a source feeding the service industry. That is why production and manufacturing, including "manufacturing" technology is so important.

Dec 2015
Arizona
Where did the private citizens get the money to donate? And Safeway and Wells-Fargo make money by providing a service that people who got their money directly or indirectly from a primary industry spend on the service.

With the decrease in new resources to exploit, more and more of the western economies are transitioning to service dominated jobs, but there still has to be a source feeding the service industry. That is why production and manufacturing, including "manufacturing" technology is so important.
Haaa....where do wealthy folks get their money? Careers, inheritance, investments, lottery? LOL
Where do you get your money? There are just lots of wealthy people in this area. You'd never know it to meet them but millionaires are pretty common here and many of them are very generous.

Apr 2013
Left coast
Haaa....where do wealthy folks get their money? Careers, inheritance, investments, lottery? LOL
Where do you get your money? There are just lots of wealthy people in this area. You'd never know it to meet them but millionaires are pretty common here and many of them are very generous.
Exactly. And that was my point exactly. Many smaller essentially retirement towns exist, but they exist based on wealth created and nurtured elsewhere.

That is not a criticism. My main choice for retirement before Mrs. RNG overruled me and forced me to follow her grandchildren was a similar environment.

Jul 2014
massachusetts
When thinking of an ideal city I finally came up with no city at all. Small villages spaced a few miles apart limited in size. Situated around a central services hub zone that provides all necessary services and provides employment for residents who want it. Houses to be designed for individual needs on largish lots, up to an acre. Generous green belts around each village. Small rail transit interconnects all villages and the hub thus eliminating the need for private transportation if the resident doesn't want a car etc.
To me something like this would be close to idea. The buggaboo is the economic system that would be needed to support it for everyone and not only the wealthy is virtually unattainable.
We are looking closely at an area that has almost all of these attributes. Missing is the transport system. It's also very affordable.
And where does the Opera House go? The Symphony? The Ballet?

The problem with small villages is the near complete absence of culture.

Dec 2015
Arizona
And where does the Opera House go? The Symphony? The Ballet?

The problem with small villages is the near complete absence of culture.

Not if that small village is connected to a very large city--like Phoenix. In fact, the opera and symphony and ballet COME TO US OR a 30-45 minute drive takes us to symphony hall and other venues like the ASU Gammage theater designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.