If a city was being designed from scratch, what would you like for it to have?

Feb 2014
Oregon
Athena, affordable housing assumes that you have a population that is willing to work for a living and not one that has a segment which is unwilling to work for the necessities of life.:confused:
:eek: How in blazes do you figure that? People working for minimum wage work very hard for the money and it is far from adequate because of the cost of living is so high. Only when we had a lot of unused land and few people was land affordable. Today there is extremely little used land, so just the cost of the land is not affordable. The cost of building materials has gone sky high so even if the land were free the cost of building would be too high for affordable rents. Now add all the exploding cost of living from high tech cars and cell phones, to the water and electric bills that keep going up and up. A person with minimum wage can not maintain the standard of living that is being demanded. I want to strangle all the office people from government to the dentist office, who expect us all to have cell phones and no longer have a receptionist answering the phones. It has become a nightmare to live in the present with an income that is not keeping pace with the rising cost of living. A life where rent consumes so much of the income, that is all a person can afford, and this means living without heat, without healthy foods but risking food poisoning eating food from the food bank, and not having internet or TV services, is relative deprivation that damages a person's ability to just maintain the essentials.

Nov 2012
Chicago
Athena, if one wants to buy a house, one needs to save one's money. Also working in a MacDonalds is not going to pay enough to manage a mortgage and raise a family. Unfortunately we have a rather large portion of our society that has been addicted to welfare and "free stuff", thanks to the Democrats. These folks, get pregnant, without any means of supporting a child let alone themselves, and the more kids they have the more they get paid. Now whose fault is that, it certainly isn't mine or yours. Yes it would be nice if everyone of us was guaranteed a comfortable life, NOT!!! Most people need an incentive to work, also work is it's own reward, and usually the harder one works, the more successful one becomes, and the better they feel about themselves and life in general. Everyone doesn't deserve a cell phone, a TV, or a car, or a house to call home; these things should be earned. I earned mine, didn't you earn yours?:neutral:

Dec 2013
Everything is going to be OK
The Venus Project proposes an alternative vision of what the future can be if we apply what we already know in order to achieve a sustainable new world civilization. It calls for a straightforward redesign of our culture in which the age-old inadequacies of war, poverty, hunger, debt and unnecessary human suffering are viewed not only as avoidable, but as totally unacceptable. Anything less will result in a continuation of the same catalog of problems inherent in today's world.

The Venus Project

Apr 2013
Left coast
The Venus Project proposes an alternative vision of what the future can be if we apply what we already know in order to achieve a sustainable new world civilization. It calls for a straightforward redesign of our culture in which the age-old inadequacies of war, poverty, hunger, debt and unnecessary human suffering are viewed not only as avoidable, but as totally unacceptable. Anything less will result in a continuation of the same catalog of problems inherent in today's world.

The Venus Project
That's the what, the why is very obvious but do they delve into the how?

Nov 2017
Virginia

The Venus Project
Fresco's idea for a test city is actually my original motive for my interest in this issue.

Nov 2012
Chicago

The Venus Project
An admirable goal, but entirely unrealistic. Altruism is fantasy and is currently being misused by college kids to avoid facing the challenges of the real world.:rolleyes:

Sep 2017
Hell
Ancient Rome had one way streets, does your city, town or hamlet have one way streets?
Not exactly.

Rome banned downtown traffic during the day, so everyone had to walk until you get to the fringe parking lots for the chariots and carts, similar to modern cities except horse-drawn vehicles being replaced by cars.

The streets of Rome were so narrow that only accomondate one chariot's width at a time, so a runner was sent ahead to the next corner to hold up traffic until the chariot can get to the end of the block, otherwise two opposing chariots will meet in the middle of the block and create a traffic jam and start gridlocks a both ends of the block. Even then it was nightmarish, thus the banning of traffic during the day. The Romans never did figure out how to have a person at each end of the block coordinating traffic with a hand held paddle reversible Stop or Slow sign. It must have sucked to be a Roman traffic-runner.

Graffiti proof walls.:think:
And proactive urine free wall. Not only does your urine bounce back, it marks you as a public public pisser.

Rome didn't have cars or buses or trucks, either.
Traffic jams predates the combustion engine. It began with the wheel. Chariots and carts were the car and trucks of Rome's time.

Feb 2014
Oregon
Athena, if one wants to buy a house, one needs to save one's money. Also working in a MacDonalds is not going to pay enough to manage a mortgage and raise a family. Unfortunately we have a rather large portion of our society that has been addicted to welfare and "free stuff", thanks to the Democrats. These folks, get pregnant, without any means of supporting a child let alone themselves, and the more kids they have the more they get paid. Now whose fault is that, it certainly isn't mine or yours. Yes it would be nice if everyone of us was guaranteed a comfortable life, NOT!!! Most people need an incentive to work, also work is it's own reward, and usually the harder one works, the more successful one becomes, and the better they feel about themselves and life in general. Everyone doesn't deserve a cell phone, a TV, or a car, or a house to call home; these things should be earned. I earned mine, didn't you earn yours?:neutral:
When I read "a large portion of our society wants free stuff", I feel so angry I just want to walk away and ignore the person who says that, but I have started to like you so I will see if we can work through our differences. If you were the person who stayed at home and tried to raise children in poverty you would not believe what you said. You would know it really sucks. Hey, I had two children and I had to turn to welfare and it was an awful experience. So awful, I risked my life to stay off welfare, but I could not succeed and I AM ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE WHO GETS FREE STUFF, AND IF YOU TELL ME THIS IS MY FAULT, DON'T LET ME CATCH YOU AN ALLEY BECAUSE I WILL CUT YOUR BALLS OFF. :oops: Whoops, this isn't the thread for why women are so angry. But I leave it alone. There is more to the story than you realize. I like the saying, "Don't judge a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes". Get back to me after you sacrifice everything to raise children.