If a city was being designed from scratch, what would you like for it to have?

Jul 2015
chicago
Because you want your cops and firefighters and roads and schools to be free stuff for you?
I would like the cost of local government to remain the same percentage. Obviously we paid for teachers and police and firemen in decades past. The difference is that the pensions are completely unfunded today. A fixed percentage could stop this from happening in "future city".

Apr 2013
La La Land North
I would like the cost of local government to remain the same percentage. Obviously we paid for teachers and police and firemen in decades past. The difference is that the pensions are completely unfunded today. A fixed percentage could stop this from happening in "future city".
That's fine if you want your firemen to come galloping up in their horsedrawn coal fired steam pumpers and your cops to not have access to computers and such.

It's like anything you buy, you can have two of high quality, low price and good service. You go cheap, you lose something else.

Jul 2015
chicago
That's fine if you want your firemen to come galloping up in their horsedrawn coal fired steam pumpers and your cops to not have access to computers and such.

It's like anything you buy, you can have two of high quality, low price and good service. You go cheap, you lose something else.
You are being obtuse. The problem is the massive teacher pension shortfall that is the problem. Its not the cost of fire engines. The high cost of trying to cover these shortfalls is what is going to make school rooms crappy and police stations short on personnel.

Apr 2013
La La Land North
You are being obtuse. The problem is the massive teacher pension shortfall that is the problem. Its not the cost of fire engines. The high cost of trying to cover these shortfalls is what is going to make school rooms crappy and police stations short on personnel.
So what caused the shortfalls in the first place? Republican underfunding? Stupid Republican administrators?

Jul 2015
chicago
So what caused the shortfalls in the first place? Republican underfunding? Stupid Republican administrators?
I can speak firsthand about my city of Chicago where we have had Democrat majority rule for the past 80 years. The shortfall is a 25 billion dollar liability. Its only 52% funded. I am not saying it is only Democrats but your first reaction of saying it is a Republican caused problem is foolish.