If you're Mitch McConnell, how would you handle this situation

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
The Trump administration is embroiled in controversy. He's going to be impeached in the House. That's all but a certainty at this point. So how would you handle a Senate impeachment trial?

Jul 2019
Georgia
if it were anyone other than McConnell, I'd expect him or her to do the right thing

but this is McConnell, and he wants power at all costs, which also means having a Republican president

I think it depends on what the articles lay out, and when articles pass the house. The first primary is in February, so if he wants someone other than trump, they need to get to moving on that

every Republican who votes against impeachment will be on record as doing so, and it may hurt them in the long run.

is there any way he can legally stifle it? of course it wouldn't be popular, but he doesn't care about popularity, he cares about power

Reactions: Clara007
Dec 2018
Wisconsin
if it were anyone other than McConnell, I'd expect him or her to do the right thing

but this is McConnell, and he wants power at all costs, which also means having a Republican president

I think it depends on what the articles lay out, and when articles pass the house. The first primary is in February, so if he wants someone other than trump, they need to get to moving on that

every Republican who votes against impeachment will be on record as doing so, and it may hurt them in the long run.

is there any way he can legally stifle it? of course it wouldn't be popular, but he doesn't care about popularity, he cares about power

I'd actually be shocked if he didn't bring it to a senate trial and vote. But I would have said the same thing about holding up a Supreme Court seat for almost a year, so what do I know.

I also struggle to find any scenario in which the Senate votes to convict. And while the February Dem primary date is key, I'd also keep an eye on the dates of individual state primaries for Republican seats. If by any chance McConnell wants to push to remove Trump from office, he won't do it until after all R Senators up for reelection are past the date where they could face a primary challenger.

Again, MAJOR if.

Jul 2019
Georgia
I'd actually be shocked if he didn't bring it to a senate trial and vote. But I would have said the same thing about holding up a Supreme Court seat for almost a year, so what do I know.

I also struggle to find any scenario in which the Senate votes to convict. And while the February Dem primary date is key, I'd also keep an eye on the dates of individual state primaries for Republican seats. If by any chance McConnell wants to push to remove Trump from office, he won't do it until after all R Senators up for reelection are past the date where they could face a primary challenger.

Again, MAJOR if.
good points. he's definitely weighing options. He doesn't want to lose his Speaker position more than anything.

public opinion will factor in as well. seems it's moving towards favoring impeachment and removal, but it's not at the point of worry for them yet.

(not sure what the magic number is, but I think the one to watch is Republicans. If they start losing more and more Republicans, they'll start to scramble)

Reactions: intangible child
Dec 2018
Wisconsin
good points. he's definitely weighing options. He doesn't want to lose his Speaker position more than anything.

public opinion will factor in as well. seems it's moving towards favoring impeachment and removal, but it's not at the point of worry for them yet.

(not sure what the magic number is, but I think the one to watch is Republicans. If they start losing more and more Republicans, they'll start to scramble)
McConnell is going to do everything he can to make sure Susan Collins, Joni Earnst, Martha McSalley and a handful of other vulnerable republican senators keep their seats, which means they'll need to pump as much anti-impeachment advertising into those key states as possible. If polls in those states are not favorable to impeachment, McConnell is safe.

Reactions: se7en
Dec 2018
Wisconsin
There's another thing I guarantee will come up as much as I hate it being a factor in a presidential vote. Clarence Thomas and Ruth Bader Ginsburg are both very likely stepping down from the Supreme Court under the next president. McConnell may have to weigh if he thinks the odds of winning a 2020 election is easier with a Donald Trump or a Mike Pence.

Sep 2019
U.S.A.
The Trump administration is embroiled in controversy. He's going to be impeached in the House. That's all but a certainty at this point. So how would you handle a Senate impeachment trial?
McConnel will not do as I would or even something remotely similar to growing a set and doing what is right. If however I WAS him I would stand up to Trumps power grab and return the Senate to its rightful place of power by sending his a little letter of FU and allowing the trial while supporting ongoing investigation.

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
Jul 2019
Georgia
He is on record saying

Well damn. Moscow Mitch is smart, but there’s been a couple times he’s been wrong.

He vowed to make Obama a one term president.

Also the healthcare repeal vote when they brought McCain in from Arizona and he voted no. The look on Mitch’s face at the thumbs down might be my favorite thing that has happened during trump’s presidency.

Reactions: GluteusMaximus
Jul 2014
massachusetts

That's why I think that when it arrives at the Senate, he takes a vote to dismiss it without debate, and it's over.
Then you just hope people forget about it.