I'm an athiest

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
I recognize I'm in the vast minority here (though growing) so I thought I'd throw out what it means to be an atheist, at least for me.

I do not believe in a god because I have not seen evidence to support the notion that one exists. If you make the statement "God is real" you are making a claim and therefore have the burden of proof. I am simply countering with "I don't believe your claim." This doesn't mean I believe that no gods exists. It simply means I have not seen evidence to support any of the god claims that have been made. Do I believe it's possible a god exists? Yes, it's possible. But I haven't seen evidence to support the claim that one does. If you look at it from a courtroom perspective, a defendant is either found guilty or not guilty. They are never found innocent.

This is where people most often ask, "Well if you think it's possible a god could exists, why are you not an agnostic?" Admittedly, this is where I hedge my bet a little. A belief is a god is a belief in something supernatural. And the only way I could see evidence of a god is to test for said evidence. Unfortunately, I don't know of a way to test for a supernatural being in the natural world. So while I do believe it's possible a god exists, because I don't know how one could find evidence to support such a claim, I chose the title of atheist rather than agnostic.

A statement I often make as an atheist is "I don't know." And while many don't like this answer, it's the most honest answer I can give.

"Where did this all come from?" I don't know
"How do you explain miracles?" I don't know
"Why do people eat blue cheese?" Good god I don't know

I'd rather be intellectually honest by saying "I don't know" than insert god as an answer to an unanswered question

As I said in my intro post though, I think organized religions have their benefit. I grew up going to church every Sunday, getting together with the community, giving money to local causes, and spending quality time with my family. If I ever have a family (heaven forbid ;)) my wife and I will probably take our kids to church to teach them these important lessons. It's the same concept that people don't believe in Santa Claus, but they still give each other gifts and spend Christmas with their family. There's benefit to it, even if you don't believe it.

I invite all questions

Nov 2017
who knows i'm agnostic just dot be obnoxious about it, if theres one thing i cant stand its evangelical protestants and militant atheists
I always say that I'm not religious. If there are gods, fine; if there are no gods, fine. If or when it becomes relevant I'll deal with it, I guess. Right now, at least the way the religious folks (and that includes those who say they're not into religion they're into their faith, etc.) portray things, it seems like a bunch of nonsense to me. To me, they're like a bunch of people into a very old fashioned version of RPG or LARP activity that I'm just not interested in getting myself mixed up with. I don't mind them gathering together and doing what they want; it's their constitutional right to religion and peaceably assemble. What I do have a problem with is when people want to use the state to impose their old fashioned LARPing with the use of force or threat of use of force.

LOL Militant atheists - I never thought of it that way before. I don't care for militant atheism, either; it's practically a religion in its on right.

I always associated evangelicals with being protestants, but I suppose there are technically evangelical Catholics too? I'm not sure, but if you're saying that you can't stand evangelical protestants, are you saying you don't mind evangelical Catholics, or evangelical non-protestants?

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
I always say that I'm not religious. If there are gods, fine; if there are no gods, fine. If or when it becomes relevant I'll deal with it, I guess. Right now, at least the way the religious folks (and that includes those who say they're not into religion they're into their faith, etc.) portray things, it seems like a bunch of nonsense to me. To me, they're like a bunch of people into a very old fashioned version of RPG or LARP activity that I'm just not interested in getting myself mixed up with. I don't mind them gathering together and doing what they want; it's their constitutional right to religion and peaceably assemble. What I do have a problem with is when people want to use the state to impose their old fashioned LARPing with the use of force or threat of use of force.

LOL Militant atheists - I never thought of it that way before. I don't care for militant atheism, either; it's practically a religion in its on right.

I always associated evangelicals with being protestants, but I suppose there are technically evangelical Catholics too? I'm not sure, but if you're saying that you can't stand evangelical protestants, are you saying you don't mind evangelical Catholics, or evangelical non-protestants?
I can't really find any flaws in this line of thinking. I generally have a problem with those who describe themselves as a Fundamentalist XYZ. If you can take any religion or philosophy and take it 100% literally, it's difficult to really have an intellectual conversation. But overall, don't use your way of thinking to try and influence my way of thinking. I believe what I believe because I believe it's right. But I'm not going to tell you what you believe is wrong just because it's different than what I believe.

Reactions: Neil
Dec 2014
Memphis, Tn.
The only thing I need to know about God is that I'm not him...or her, or it, or whateverthefuck.