I'm not sure there's such a thing as an "inalienable right"

Dec 2018
New England
Am picking up this thought from another thread. Is there such a thing as an "inalienable right?" There is no shortage of legal prose dedicated to the subject, and from it most of us probably believe such rights exist. But what right cannot be taken away with a fully ratified amendment to the Constitution? Put aside the infinitesimal likelihood of the following happening, but why couldn't the entire Bill of Rights be repealed by a single amendment declaring it null and void?

One can thump their chest and say "they can take away the First Amendment, but that won't stop me saying what I want!" but I can't imagine that hubris will do much good while sitting in a jail cell awaiting a show trial on a charge of sedition.

No, there are no political rights that cannot be removed. We enjoy the rights that two-thirds of Congress and three fourths of the state legislatures give us.

Aug 2018
been around
When you put it that way, of course there is no such thing. Phrase the question where we can have a discussion instead of just a semantic trap.
"Should there be inalienable rights?"

Sep 2014
On the outside, trickling down on the Insiders
Am picking up this thought from another thread. Is there such a thing as an "inalienable right?" There is no shortage of legal prose dedicated to the subject, and from it most of us probably believe such rights exist. But what right cannot be taken away with a fully ratified amendment to the Constitution? Put aside the infinitesimal likelihood of the following happening, but why couldn't the entire Bill of Rights be repealed by a single amendment declaring it null and void?

One can thump their chest and say "they can take away the First Amendment, but that won't stop me saying what I want!" but I can't imagine that hubris will do much good while sitting in a jail cell awaiting a show trial on a charge of sedition.

No, there are no political rights that cannot be removed. We enjoy the rights that two-thirds of Congress and three fourths of the state legislatures give us.
Voluntarily Fleeced and Butchered

If you get your rights from a government document, the Constitution, that has absolute over the people's own will, you deserve the same rights sheep have.

Dec 2015
Arizona

AND if a person doesn't believe in God, can they still have unalienable rights? If a person doesn't believe in God then obviously they don't have a Creator?
See how much I love discussing "stuff" with you, Nat.

Jun 2018
South Dakota
AND if a person doesn't believe in God, can they still have unalienable rights? If a person doesn't believe in God then obviously they don't have a Creator?
See how much I love discussing "stuff" with you, Nat.
We're getting into "I know there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell" country now.

May 2019
USA
We only have rights to the extent that the government recognizes them. In a democracy at least in theory that government is of by and for the people so society as a whole in some way recognizes them though that seems to be less and less true every turn of the worm.

Jul 2018
Earth

A review of history shows, in most cases but not all, that if people want rights that they have to be willing to kill and die for them. That is because there is always an asshole standing in the way saying that other people can't have any rights. It's like Moses, killing people because they wanted to exercise freedom of religion.