Imagine a world without science...

Oct 2019
USA

A world without science would mean:

A world no weapons, no wars, no need for gun control, no global warming, no obesity, no nuclear bombs, no pollution, no plagues...

Religion can make a man fantasize about blowing up buildings, but it takes science to give him the bombs and airplanes he needs to actually cary it out.

If I had to choose between getting rid of rape, and getting rid of science - I'd get rid of science.

Oct 2019
USA
I think we can officially say he’s a troll.
Science has made it easier for rapists to take advantage of their victims (such as with date rape drugs) - so if we just got rid of science, it would probably lower rape rates as well.

Not to mention that issues like "gun control" or "global warming" would become irrelevant, since there would be no guns nor man-made pollutants to begin with; getting rid of science altogether is probably the easiest solution.

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
Actually, Neil DeGrasse Tyson tweeted about this today. He said words to the effect that anyone who denies science should throw their cellphone away.

I would add to that their TV, radio, internet connection and electric appliances. And that is still only a partial list.

Reactions: se7en
Oct 2019
USA
Actually, Neil DeGrasse Tyson tweeted about this today. He said words to the effect that anyone who denies science should throw their cellphone away.
He's a superstitious moron and doesn't even know what science is, or how one can "deny" science anyway - as though it's some god or mythical entity which people put "faith in" like superstitious cargo cultists. (If one was a straight-up luddite, this would be a relevant point, but I'm merely trying to make a point here).

The whole science narrative is nonsense, cell phones, or whatever other contraption one is talking about were invented by a specific genius - and there's no reason to believe that such geniuses wouldn't have been around had "science" as an establishment developed in a completely different way.

Science and innovation have been a part of every major human civilization, and one could easily argue that Bacon's scientific method has cripped science and innovation, rather than enabled it as well.

Tyson is nothing but an idiot or a dishonest hack, on par with a stereotypical "corporate lobbyist"; not to mention, if everyone was a "cell phone addict", there wouldn't have been any "cell phones" to begin with - since the fellow who invented them was obviously interested in more creative life pursuits, than merely subsisting off of technology.

I would add to that their TV, radio, internet connection and electric appliances. And that is still only a partial list.
That would be good for some people to do.

Of all the things to credit "science" for, I don't think fat computer addicts is one of them.

By the same logic, "religion" gave us, or at least led to the development of many modern institutions, such as our legal system - but that doesn't mean a person should idolize "religion" or have faith in a specific God on the basis of this historical fact alone, among others (even Baconian science, as an institution developed from the structure of the Catholic Church).

But anyway - given that most of the science urban legends are being debunked and revealed either as dishonest propaganda or willful ignorance, it will be interesting to see if any "scientists" can or will explain how they can predict the rates of innovation, had science as an institution developed in any other way than Bacon's dated method.

For the most part, nor is such a silly claim provable or testable by the methods of Baconian science itself - they can't, and merely expect people to accept this sillyness based on blind faith. Much as the myths of "progress" are as well, such as the fact that science could lead to thermonuclear war, or was used in WWII to exterminate millions of people.

Just admit it - what you're referring to as "science" is just propaganda, written at the level of a 6th-grade education - peddled to the masses for marketing purposes and selling frivolous gadgets like cell phones, and isn't remotely honest or intellectually challenging in any way.

(That's why this Tyson idiot isn't encouraging people to become scientists, or learn to think critically, but rather just peddling "cell phones", likely at the behest of some corporate sponsor - roflmao).

Last edited:
Sep 2019
U.S.A.

They should also die at 30yrs. old

Reactions: RNG
Oct 2019
USA
They should also die at 30yrs. old
Fail... that claim has been shown to be not entirely true. It's a popular myth or urban legend.

As an example, the Renaissance painter Titian lived to be almost 90 years old,

Whereas a morbidly obese person in the 21st century might die as early as 50 years old. (And given that unhealthy processed foods and obesity epidemics are a problem only in first world countries, it was science which actually lowered his lifespan rather than extend it).

(This is why "averages" are misleading, and are just approximations, obviously not applying on a case-by-case basis; for example, my understanding is that predictions of "30 year lifespans" didn't apply to people who died solely from natural causes, but rather from unnatural ones).

Oct 2019
USA
Regardless, I'm proving a good point about how infantile the arguments "against religion" are, and how the arguments against science are actually stronger by the same logic.

Science gave us nuclear weapons which could wipe out the entire earth's population, gave Hitler the technology he needed to build his ovens and gas chambers - and gave religious fanatics access to planes and bombs - and no one who champions the moon landing can name one thing about it which benefitted us in any way?

So apparently, some would be fine with billions of people dying in a nuclear holocaust if it meant that one guy could set foot on the moon for absolutely no reason (other than that it was "cool") - isn't that scary by that same line of reasoning?

Jul 2019
Georgia

yeah, says a lot about someone who's anti-science posting his melts about it on the world wide webs

Reactions: imaginethat