Indigenous peoples, 'guardians of Nature', under siege

Dec 2016
Canada
I agree with your sentiment but would quibble about the mass transit issue. I don't support more roads, but I don't think mass transit is money that well spent. I would rather see us move away from current work models toward virtual officing and telecommuting.
Yeah, I just mentioned mass transit as the other option, because that was the option before personal automobiles became feasible in the 20th century. To spur the growth of car production, what's been called the Highway Lobby (carmakers, oil companies) lobbied for the removal of lightrail streetcar and trains from major cities and succeeded in all but the largest and most densely populated cities where car driving isn't very feasible. And it's become legendary today, but in order to build a national network of free and near free highways across America, Dwight Eisenhower made the highway project a national defense priority.

Looking further off into the more distant future (assuming it will still be there) even those who aren't among a minority with jobs that would be available with telecommuting will have to re-localize, to living in smaller communities and in ways people lived prior to the mad rush to industrialization of the past century.

Dec 2018
New England
"Indigenous peoples have truly been guardians of Nature for the rest of society," Eduardo Brondizio, co-chair of the UN report and a professor of Anthropology at Indiana University Bloomington, told AFP.
Who do so many people buy into the "noble savage" mythology? They're not "guardians of nature." Historically, their cultures have been too primitive to do the environment any real damage.

Dec 2016
Canada
Who do so many people buy into the "noble savage" mythology? They're not "guardians of nature." Historically, their cultures have been too primitive to do the environment any real damage.
And I'll counter that the Calvinist doctrines of the depravity of man and the Catholic dogma of original sin (which was rejected by the Eastern Orthodox churches) are truly damaging myths both to children as they grow into psychologically twisted adulthood/ while Rousseau's theory of the noble savage living better and peaceably because it was how humans were intended to live is NOT damaging to the individual or societies at large AND if you want to get into it, is much, much closer to the truth than the 'we're all depraved sinners' notion being rehabilitated by today's 'new' atheists who dominate academia today! The real truth...which I have posted links to on previous threads....that attract little if any interest here, is that the world's forest dwellers who rejected taking the first step on the road to civilization (fixed agriculture) do live more peacefully and contented in forest, grassland and desert habitats. Anthropologists who studied them noted that they were rigorously egalitarian...even jumping down hard on individuals who might consider themselves a little better than the rest! At the other end of the spectrum, modern sociology and epidemiological research reveals that as modern cultures become more hierarchal and divided by economic class, they become less healthy (both mental and physical), more violent, less cooperative, and less sociable. The more equal a society...even if average GDP is lower, is a better society to live in than a richer, yet more unequal society!

The OP...which I doubt you even read, is an odd duck in today's media landscape. Since rarely are there stories that even mildly criticize development patterns that have come from the modern myth of progress and building a better world with new technology and innovations. These researchers are actually surprised that 'primitives' who live in and are dependent on sustenance from the forests surrounding them, have deep knowledge and understanding of all of the animals and plants in their tropical forest environments. Certainly a big reason is because modern...supposedly 'civilized' and 'educated' people don't even know how or where their food comes from or how its produced. That is true ignorance! And if global capitalist civilization comes unglued and collapses all at once...as many more enlightened researchers started fearing in the 70's...inspiring a series of 'prepper' movements; the one thing we can guarantee is that the vast majority of city-dwellers in most of the world will be dead in a matter of months! And, if past history...like the collapse of Ancient Rome is any guide, they won't act in any way 'noble' on their way down!

Dec 2018
New England
And I'll counter that the Calvinist doctrines of the depravity of man and the Catholic dogma of original sin (which was rejected by the Eastern Orthodox churches) are truly damaging myths both to children as they grow into psychologically twisted adulthood/ while Rousseau's theory of the noble savage living better and peaceably because it was how humans were intended to live is NOT damaging to the individual or societies at large AND if you want to get into it, is much, much closer to the truth than the 'we're all depraved sinners' notion being rehabilitated by today's 'new' atheists who dominate academia today! The real truth...which I have posted links to on previous threads....that attract little if any interest here, is that the world's forest dwellers who rejected taking the first step on the road to civilization (fixed agriculture) do live more peacefully and contented in forest, grassland and desert habitats. Anthropologists who studied them noted that they were rigorously egalitarian...even jumping down hard on individuals who might consider themselves a little better than the rest! At the other end of the spectrum, modern sociology and epidemiological research reveals that as modern cultures become more hierarchal and divided by economic class, they become less healthy (both mental and physical), more violent, less cooperative, and less sociable. The more equal a society...even if average GDP is lower, is a better society to live in than a richer, yet more unequal society!

The OP...which I doubt you even read, is an odd duck in today's media landscape. Since rarely are there stories that even mildly criticize development patterns that have come from the modern myth of progress and building a better world with new technology and innovations. These researchers are actually surprised that 'primitives' who live in and are dependent on sustenance from the forests surrounding them, have deep knowledge and understanding of all of the animals and plants in their tropical forest environments. Certainly a big reason is because modern...supposedly 'civilized' and 'educated' people don't even know how or where their food comes from or how its produced. That is true ignorance! And if global capitalist civilization comes unglued and collapses all at once...as many more enlightened researchers started fearing in the 70's...inspiring a series of 'prepper' movements; the one thing we can guarantee is that the vast majority of city-dwellers in most of the world will be dead in a matter of months! And, if past history...like the collapse of Ancient Rome is any guide, they won't act in any way 'noble' on their way down!
I have no idea why you think this is relevant.

Dec 2016
Canada
I have no idea why you think this is relevant.
Well, thanks for dropping by this week!

Refreshing my memory, I have no idea why you claim your beliefs are all evidence-based, yet provide no evidence to support your contention that 'noble savage' is a myth! 'Modern man" is the greater, most destructive myth of all time....we are finding that out now, and in a few short years anyone alive will be desperately trying to survive and no longer able to contemplate any ethical or philosophical questions!