Inner city and black on black homicide

May 2019
USA
According to the FBI SHR data, in 2016 there were 7,756 Black homicide victims in the United States. The homicide rate among Black victims in the United States was 20.44 per 100,000. For that year, the overall national homicide rate was 5.10 per 100,000. For Whites, the national homicide rate was 2.96 per 100,000.
[…]
The homicide rate for Black male victims was 37.12 per 100,000. In comparison, the overall rate for male homicide victims was 8.29 per 100,000. For White male homicide victims it was 4.39 per 100,000. The homicide rate for female Black victims was 5.07 per 100,000. In comparison, the overall rate for female homicide victims was 1.97 per 100,000. For White female homicide victims it was 1.55 per 100,000.
Where Does Your State Rank When It Comes to Black Homicide? | Colorlines

Black men are 14 times more likely than white men to die by firearm homicide (1).
Homicide and Suicide Rates in Black Versus White Non-Hispanic Men | Annals of Internal Medicine | American College of Physicians

In Chicago, 293 people have been killed this year. That is 33 fewer than 2018.
Tracking Chicago homicide victims
As of August 4, 2019, 252 mass shootings have occurred in 2019 that fit the inclusion criteria of this article, resulting in 1,032 people being shot. Of those people, 281 have died.
List of mass shootings in the United States in 2019 - Wikipedia

It was hard to even find a nation wide state of black homicides. But, oh boy the mass shooting involving scores of outside inner city violence was all over the place. Racism can sometimes hide in plain site.

Note, that is 293 in Chicago alone, and that state is down from last year.

Also worth nothing is the methodology used to identify mass shooting. FBI has it as only 17 mass shootings. So, I am not clear where we come up with this 252 number on wiki

May 2019
USA
gun ownership percentages and gun homicide rates makes sense until you look at Idaho and Wyoming. Idaho being 3 in ownership and 3 in least amount of gun homicides. Actually the top four states with the lowest homicide rates have some of the loosest gun laws. Its not a gun ownership problem. The correlation is percentage of inner city gun violence.

List of U.S. states by homicide rate - Wikipedia

Reactions: coldjoint
Jul 2019
Georgia
gun ownership percentages and gun homicide rates makes sense until you look at Idaho and Wyoming. Idaho being 3 in ownership and 3 in least amount of gun homicides. Actually the top four states with the lowest homicide rates have some of the loosest gun laws. Its not a gun ownership problem. The correlation is percentage of inner city gun violence.

List of U.S. states by homicide rate - Wikipedia
I would imagine in more rural areas, there is less human interaction, which would naturally mean less violence, no?

also would be interesting to see an economical status to gun violence comparison between States

Reactions: walkaway and RNG
May 2019
USA
I would imagine in more rural areas, there is less human interaction, which would naturally mean less violence, no?

also would be interesting to see an economical status to gun violence comparison between States
Correct, but there would be more opportunity with more firearms. Ironically if you look at the homicide rates in all the states, the vast majority of them are within major cities. Missouri for instance. St. Louis and Kansas City.

To me there is a immediate way to reduce this inner city gun violence. Gun registration. it can be done in a manner that will protect the rights of gun owners and at the same time hold them accountable. Couple this with background checks for all firearm transactions and it will take a few years but you will absolutely curtail much of the gun violence in inner cities with that.

This is what upsets me about the Democrats right now. They all want a ban on the dreaded assault weapon and magazine limits. None of that will make even the smallest dent in gun homicide rates. It will do nothing for inner city deaths. You require registration though and put a stop to a mountain of straw purchases and you will see a impact real quick.

Reactions: Hollywood
Jul 2019
Georgia
To me there is a immediate way to reduce this inner city gun violence. Gun registration. it can be done in a manner that will protect the rights of gun owners and at the same time hold them accountable. Couple this with background checks for all firearm transactions and it will take a few years but you will absolutely curtail much of the gun violence in inner cities with that.

I completely agree with this idea. We have to register our motor vehicles, why not our firearms? And it's not hurting anyone or taking anyone's guns away.