Instead of Solving Real Crimes, Cops Go Undercover to Arrest 118 Handymen for Not Having Licenses

Jan 2020
Congo Free State, Africa
It's all about the money.

Instead of Solving Real Crimes, Cops Go Undercover to Arrest 118 Handymen for Not Having Licenses

Hillsborough County, FL — In the land of the free, attempting to earn money in certain professions without first paying the state for the privilege of doing so can and will get you kidnapped and extorted. These laws are applied to children behind lemonade stands as well as adults selling flowers. The state callously and with extreme prejudice has been documented arresting people, or even beating up women to enforce these licensing laws.
Florida, right?! It's pretty much the same everywhere. The rich want those folks done away with, so..

.dawsy meme.jpg

Reactions: YoursTruly
Jul 2019
Georgia
Tell us. The last time you took your car in for service, especially something like brakes, did you verify the person actually performing the repairs was ASE certified? Or did you just call around and find who would do it cheaper? Do you ever question the quality of parts being installed on your car ??
FWIW, I know from experience that people will hire a licensed/insured drone pilot for big projects over someone who's not licensed and/or insured.

and Airports/Prisons/etc are a lot more lenient about letting you fly near them

now a handyman/cosmetologist/massage therapist might not have the same experience, I don't know

I did used to date a licensed massage therapist, and she reciprocated her licence in every state we went to a music festival in, so she could legally sell massages at them without no hassle from the popo. It was expensive and a lot of work for her, but worth it.

Nov 2012
nirvana
QUOTE="YoursTruly, post: 1447437, member: 9010"]
I know licenced contractors, mechanics and other supposed "professionals," who don't know their ass from a whole in the ground. Licenses don't mean shit, except revenue for the government that issues them.
[/QUOTE]

Depends on the work being performed. There's no such thing as a monkey see monkey do electrician.

You are either a trained electrician with a verified four year apprenticeship school with on the job training, or you're not. Going to the local supply store and buying a screwdriver, and a paid of wire strippers doesn't make you an electrician, and I don't give a rats ass how much of a go getter you are. If you get caught doing electrical work, while your painting the ceiling, you should get busted.

There's a reason plumbers, electricians, HVAC mechanics, and gas fitters are required to be licensed in most states. That's because those trades can cause serious property damage, and injury or death to those they provide the work for.

You want to paint, do carpentry, clean, cut grass, install cabinets, or a whole host of other services that don't involve those licensed trades, have at it.

Reactions: thor gonzales
Feb 2006
California
Well.......Taken into consideration that they can't be too smart (all cops are republican) ROTFLMAO

September 8, 2000, 7:32 AM

A man whose bid to become a police officer was rejected after he scored too high on an intelligence test has lost an appeal in his federal lawsuit against the city.

The 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New York upheld a lower court’s decision that the city did not discriminate against Robert Jordan because the same standards were applied to everyone who took the test.

Jul 2018
Earth
Also, from the original article (post #1), please note the description provided.
This isn't a situation where typically a con man shows up to perform work that will hurt people.
It involves entrapment.

Sammis explained that the undercover cops will hire handymen on the pretext of performing work that doesn’t require a license and then trick them into doing it mid-job. It’s nothing short of entrapment.​
“When the handyman says no, then the undercover detective moves the conversation to something else and then comes back to the question later in a different way,” says Sammis. “By the time the handyman gets to the location, they want to make the homeowner happy and end up agreeing to perform work that they didn’t intend on doing when they first arrived. The undercover detective are just creating a crime that probably wouldn’t occur otherwise.”​

Sammis says that these cops couldn’t care less about homeowner safety, which is illustrated by the fact that very few actual criminals are caught. Also, while these cops are devoting resources to arresting handymen, actual crimes in which there are actual victims, go unpunished and uninvestigated. Instead of solving or helping to prevent the further victimization of innocent citizens, these elaborate stings are used to bolster the city’s bottom line.​
“These sting operations rake in big money in fines and court costs,” Sammis says. “Catching real criminals actually committing a crime is much harder.”​
Just remember, it is not a crime unless the dummies on the jury convicts.

Feb 2020
dfw, texas
Tell us. The last time you took your car in for service, especially something like brakes, did you verify the person actually performing the repairs was ASE certified? Or did you just call around and find who would do it cheaper? Do you ever question the quality of parts being installed on your car ??
yeah, i do not take it to some midnight garage on elm street. are you being serious? who would take their car to a place that doesn't do inspections, doing business in public, and therefore is not likely to be hiring bozos off the street to do brake work? i said you need to be careful, especially when hiring people to do potentially dangerous stuff IN YOUR HOUSE, that might kill you and your family, and you are equating that to personally checking out the ASE certification of people who work on your car? anyone who does handyman work that could be dangerous SHOULD BE LICENSED. there are a lot of old ladies and old folks and single mothers who could be taken by some random jerk putting in a gas water heater, or working on the gas heater of the AC or any electrical work in general. licensed handymen and professionals have guarantees, and are a lot less likely to scam anybody.

Reactions: leekohler2
Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
yeah, i do not take it to some midnight garage on elm street. are you being serious? who would take their car to a place that doesn't do inspections, doing business in public, and therefore is not likely to be hiring bozos off the street to do brake work? i said you need to be careful, especially when hiring people to do potentially dangerous stuff IN YOUR HOUSE, that might kill you and your family, and you are equating that to personally checking out the ASE certification of people who work on your car? anyone who does handyman work that could be dangerous SHOULD BE LICENSED. there are a lot of old ladies and old folks and single mothers who could be taken by some random jerk putting in a gas water heater, or working on the gas heater of the AC or any electrical work in general. licensed handymen and professionals have guarantees, and are a lot less likely to scam anybody.

And what I'm saying is an automobile is a three thousand pound projectile traveling 70 miles an hour or more. Compared to a house, cars are infinitely more complex. Plumbing in a house, 80 psi max water pressure. A car? The brake system can run as high as 2700 psi. A car has multiple computers and an onboard network that would make a building engineer cringe. Explosive? 20 gallons of GASOLINE and fuel system that runs 45 psi MINIMUM and up to 2200 psi under the hood! Diesels run upwards of 32,000 psi these days. That's not a mistype, thirty two THOUSAND psi. A bad auto technician can do massive damage and yes even kill you much faster than a handyman. Yet most people do not even think about who is working on their car. Even supposedly reputable shops don't always have certified techs doing all the work. After more than 40 years in the industry, I can tell you first hand the training industry-wide is woefully inadequate and the biggest scam artists are usually in the prettiest buildings in the nicest neighborhoods. Not only can a bad tech kill you and your family, they can also wipe out the other family you crashed into.

LTP

Mar 2018
Undisclosed Bunker
what part do you disagree with, that some jobs around the house could be dangerous if a licensed plumber or installer does not do it? do you have any idea of how dangerous a gas water heater or gas furnace could be if not installed right by someone who knew for sure what the hell he was doing? or even a toilet and bathroom plumbing in general? ever heard of methane? if you want to go around putting your life in danger, and your kids, to save a few bucks by hiring guys who may not know about how to safely do some plumbing and water heater and furnace installation, i agree that is your call. but it should be the law for licensed installers to be used, to protect people who deserve to be protected and not interested in saving a few bucks.

i bet you also believe the FDA is a waste of time- let the buyer beware!! so what if some drugs were mislabeled or not tested correctly and are dangerous as hell- after a few consumers die or get sick, others will quit buying it and the company will go out of business anyway!! capitalism, baby!! inspections? we don't need no stinkin' inspections....
The FDA is irrelevant here. That is why you couldn't build on that original argument. So, you argument is basically if you cannot afford some guy to charge you $800 or so per hour for a simple repair, you should not be able to take a bath at all? I don't have to go off on a tangent with make believe scenarios. Let's keep it real.

Nov 2005
California
Just remember, it is not a crime unless the dummies on the jury convicts.
:winktongue:
And I'm sure you've probably heard the sarcastic phrase that juries are made up of people who were too stupid to successfully get out of jury duty.
Put your fate in the hands of people who aren't smart enough to avoid that task...
#sarcasm
#ifindoubtitstill #sarcasm

#howmanypeopleread_tits_till_intheabove?

Aug 2019
Albuquerque, NM
This is where republicans are ridiculous. Waah, he had to get a license. Had to pay for it. If they can't run a business and be licensed, or afford a license, that's their shitty job. But if you are in business, you should be licensed. =

Now, seems a bit over the top to have an elaborate sting like this, but I'm not shedding a tear for the cheap or greedy professionals doing work but not being licensed.