Instead of Solving Real Crimes, Cops Go Undercover to Arrest 118 Handymen for Not Having Licenses

Feb 2020
dfw, texas
And what I'm saying is an automobile is a three thousand pound projectile traveling 70 miles an hour or more. Compared to a house, cars are infinitely more complex. Plumbing in a house, 80 psi max water pressure. A car? The brake system can run as high as 2700 psi. A car has multiple computers and an onboard network that would make a building engineer cringe. Explosive? 20 gallons of GASOLINE and fuel system that runs 45 psi MINIMUM and up to 2200 psi under the hood! Diesels run upwards of 32,000 psi these days. That's not a mistype, thirty two THOUSAND psi. A bad auto technician can do massive damage and yes even kill you much faster than a handyman. Yet most people do not even think about who is working on their car. Even supposedly reputable shops don't always have certified techs doing all the work. After more than 40 years in the industry, I can tell you first hand the training industry-wide is woefully inadequate and the biggest scam artists are usually in the prettiest buildings in the nicest neighborhoods. Not only can a bad tech kill you and your family, they can also wipe out the other family you crashed into.
bullshit. you are being ridiculous. a monkey could do a brake job. and a person driving a car with any experience can tell when the brakes are not working right, most cars today have sensors that show potential brake problems, and you are just being goofy as hell.

Reactions: LTP
Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
bullshit. you are being ridiculous. a monkey could do a brake job. and a person driving a car with any experience can tell when the brakes are not working right, most cars today have sensors that show potential brake problems, and you are just being goofy as hell.

I’m glad you and your monkey ass brake job are nowhere near me and my family.

Do you truly not understand that the braking systems on modern cars are computer controlled and integrated into the traction and stability control systems? An untrained tech can can do massive damage and leave the systems unable to perform the way they were designed, potentially failing at the worst possible moment.

But by all means let that trained monkey work on your car. Just stay the fuck outa Tennessee with it !!!

Last edited:
Reactions: RNG
Aug 2019
Albuquerque, NM
You know what happened before regulations? The free market killed people. Scammed people. Before the FDA, people would die from products that were tainted. Or duped with miracle tonics. Food was contaminated. That's why there are rules and regulations and standards.

When there are no labor laws,child labor and abuse of workers prevalent. Banking regulations relaxed, lead to catastrophes and economic crashes. The free market time and time again proves the need for regulation. And that includes having peopel licensed and certified to do work

So stop whining about needing a license to do business. It's necessary because humans are assholes that will do whatever they can to exploit others.

Reactions: tecoyah

LTP

Mar 2018
Undisclosed Bunker
This is where republicans are ridiculous. Waah, he had to get a license. Had to pay for it. If they can't run a business and be licensed, or afford a license, that's their shitty job. But if you are in business, you should be licensed. =

Now, seems a bit over the top to have an elaborate sting like this, but I'm not shedding a tear for the cheap or greedy professionals doing work but not being licensed.
You are unrealistic. You being rich and all, you have no empathy. But, here is the way it is:

A couple of years ago I had major surgery. The preliminaries... EKGs, EEGs, and tests I cannot even recall along with my 20 percent of the bill left me strapped. While recuperating a freaking overflow valve went out on my water heater... a fifteen dollar water valve. I had someone pick one up at Home Depot and then called a plumber. He comes out and takes almost 40 minutes to write me up a "proposal." He comes back wanting $40 for the service call and $245 to change out an overflow valve!!! I got on the phone and called a handyman off of Craigslist. All he needed was his adjustable wrench, the use of my water hose and in literally 15 minutes, he changed the overflow valve out and we were discussing common interests while I wrote him a $30 check.

Only pay for what you need. Screw a bunch of licenses. I'd hire any one of those handymen to help me if it would offset the idiotic costs charged by Uncle Scam.

LTP

Mar 2018
Undisclosed Bunker
You know what happened before regulations? The free market killed people. Scammed people. Before the FDA, people would die from products that were tainted. Or duped with miracle tonics. Food was contaminated. That's why there are rules and regulations and standards.

When there are no labor laws,child labor and abuse of workers prevalent. Banking regulations relaxed, lead to catastrophes and economic crashes. The free market time and time again proves the need for regulation. And that includes having peopel licensed and certified to do work

So stop whining about needing a license to do business. It's necessary because humans are assholes that will do whatever they can to exploit others.
Yeah... and the guy with a license will charge you $1000 an hour, farm out the work to two guys he pays $25 an hour each to and the license holder never sets foot on your property. No thanks.

Aug 2019
Albuquerque, NM
Yeah... and the guy with a license will charge you $1000 an hour, farm out the work to two guys he pays $25 an hour each to and the license holder never sets foot on your property. No thanks.
What does that have to do with licensing? greedy, scum companies already do that in pretty much every industry, pay slave wages to overcharge. Pretty much that's how business is everywhere.

LTP

Mar 2018
Undisclosed Bunker
What does that have to do with licensing? greedy, scum companies already do that in pretty much every industry, pay slave wages to overcharge. Pretty much that's how business is everywhere.
So, the point is, I prefer to pay the lower price and assume the risks. It's called free enterprise.

Jun 2018
South Dakota
I left Calif 17 years ago. We use to hire unlicensed labor to do yard work and general outdoor maintenance. One man that had been a regular in our neighborhood for 10+ years came by (in 1995) to let us know that he wouldn't be available any more due to increased pressure from LEOs doing crackdowns on him and others. What happened next is really chilling. A group of illegals started filling the vacuum and after a few months started a program of "hitting the lottery". The usual vehicle they used was an extension ladder. They would show up, get all the gear together, climb the ladder then fall off. They had a lawyer, an illegal aliens advocate, who then walked them thru the process of cashing in on their phony injuries. Then the State would arrest the property owners and confiscate their property. One of my neighbors had it happen on his property even tho he never hired anyone of needed any work done. He was simply targeted and hit. He was a particularly vulnerable target in that he was a Dr, a single man, and was rarely at home. He was also Hispanic BTW. The actions by the illegal advocates had an unintended consequence. We never hired any other people to do our yard work, we were forced to use a licensed lawn care company. It appeared that after that the contractors were simply hiring the same guys we used to. Benefit to the workers was that they now had to pay social security, disability etc and had their wages recorded for taxation. The whole process appeared to be choreographed.

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
So, the point is, I prefer to pay the lower price and assume the risks. It's called free enterprise.
As long as it is you and yours that are being put at risk, I agree. But one obvious example, car brakes, a bad job endangers everyone on the road. And depending where you live, a house fire will at least endanger the firefighters and possibly spread to other houses so crappy electrical or gas work also endangers others.

Isn't there something along the lines that your freedom to swing your arms around stops at my nose?