Instead of Solving Real Crimes, Cops Go Undercover to Arrest 118 Handymen for Not Having Licenses

LTP

Mar 2018
Undisclosed Bunker
As long as it is you and yours that are being put at risk, I agree. But one obvious example, car brakes, a bad job endangers everyone on the road. And depending where you live, a house fire will at least endanger the firefighters and possibly spread to other houses so crappy electrical or gas work also endangers others.

Isn't there something along the lines that your freedom to swing your arms around stops at my nose?
Every handyman job does not put your life at risk. And as far as brakes go, I once spent a large sum of money on brakes at a big box store. Every three months they wanted to "turn my rotors" (the new ones they put on), but I knew that after three times, I need new rotors again. So, I got rid of their crappy brakes, put some on myself and the car did much better.

Having access to alcohol puts people at risk, but we still allow people to buy it and society assumes some risk for the Liberty of having access to alcohol. How much control do you want?

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
Every handyman job does not put your life at risk. And as far as brakes go, I once spent a large sum of money on brakes at a big box store. Every three months they wanted to "turn my rotors" (the new ones they put on), but I knew that after three times, I need new rotors again. So, I got rid of their crappy brakes, put some on myself and the car did much better.

Having access to alcohol puts people at risk, but we still allow people to buy it and society assumes some risk for the Liberty of having access to alcohol. How much control do you want?
Society also hold people responsible for their actions under the influence of alcohol so that one is another distraction.

As to the big box store, that argument has no bearing on the adequacy of the auto technician. It's a reflection of the ethics of store management so again is irrelevant to my arguments related to safety.

LTP

Mar 2018
Undisclosed Bunker
Society also hold people responsible for their actions under the influence of alcohol so that one is another distraction.

As to the big box store, that argument has no bearing on the adequacy of the auto technician. It's a reflection of the ethics of store management so again is irrelevant to my arguments related to safety.
A wise man said those who give up Liberty for the promise of Safety deserve neither. Thank you, but I will defer to my right to hire whomever can do what I need done for the price I can afford.

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
A wise man said those who give up Liberty for the promise of Safety deserve neither. Thank you, but I will defer to my right to hire whomever can do what I need done for the price I can afford.
You really messed in your paraphrasal there, oh one of superior IQ. And that, even if it were true is another deflection.

You do not have the right to make decisions that affect the safety of others. I'm a great believer in survival of the fittest, and if you choose to kill yourself with stupidity and being cheap, I'll cheer you on, but when your decisions negatively impact others, you are absolutely flat-assed wrong.

LTP

Mar 2018
Undisclosed Bunker
You really messed in your paraphrasal there, oh one of superior IQ. And that, even if it were true is another deflection.

You do not have the right to make decisions that affect the safety of others. I'm a great believer in survival of the fittest, and if you choose to kill yourself with stupidity and being cheap, I'll cheer you on, but when your decisions negatively impact others, you are absolutely flat-assed wrong.
You couldn't spell paraphrase - and since I quoted nobody, I cannot be wrong. I've had to take the best deal I could all my life. You've never suffered for it. So, no need to get your panties in a bunch.

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
You couldn't spell paraphrase - and since I quoted nobody, I cannot be wrong. I've had to take the best deal I could all my life. You've never suffered for it. So, no need to get your panties in a bunch.
Oh super intellect, if I had wanted to say paraphrase, I would have. Does your intelligence not allow the word paraphrasal to sink in?