Iowa Christian Wedding Cake Baker Refuses Service To Lesbian Couple

Feb 2007
Los Angeles
“I said, ‘I’ll tell you I’m a Christian, and I do have convictions.’ And I said, ‘I’m sorry to tell you, but I’m not going to be able to do your cake.”

“I didn’t do the cake because of my convictions for their lifestyle.

It is my right as a business owner.

It is my right, and it’s not to discriminate against them.

It’s not so much to do with them, it’s to do with me and my walk with God and what I will answer (to) him for,” Childress said.

Great to know Christians still have some freedoms in the Land of the Free especially when it's reported by a world class news organisation like unicornbooty.com

The people of Iowa had homosexual marriage foisted on them against their will

Kicking Judges out of office and not baking cakes is just the start of the push back

Jun 2009
This baker should be heavily fined, just as if she discriminated against them because they were a member of any other minority community.

http://unicornbooty....lesbian-couple/

I really wish these people would answer "How is it not discrimination to deny service to a homosexual couple while saying its religious conviction, when they do not deny service to divorcees, or Satanists, or Atheists, or people of other religious beliefs? Would it still be religious conviction if she denied service to an interracial couple?"

highway80west

Former Staff
Mar 2007
San Diego, CA
It is pure discrimination and the owners knows that very well. Would a bakery shop owner discriminates against African-Americans because the owner is a racist?

She is going to have her day(s) in court, and it will take a savvy defense attorney to get her off the hook. The law is the law, though. She will probably have to pay a fine.

Oct 2010
She's screwed, just as much as if she denied service to a mixed-race couple. Hopefully Iowa will enforce its anti-discrimination law without being asked to do so, but if the couple does decide to sue it'll be an open & shut case - they wouldn't even need to hire a lawyer to prove their case since they have her confession on video.

I love how the news coverage refers to bigotry by the euphemism "strong beliefs".

Feb 2007
Los Angeles
tristanrobin' timestamp='1321381194' post='368596 said:
This baker should be heavily fined, just as if she discriminated against them because they were a member of any other minority community.

I really wish these people would answer "How is it not discrimination to deny service to a homosexual couple while saying its religious conviction, when they do not deny service to divorcees, or Satanists, or Atheists, or people of other religious beliefs?

I suspect they deny services ti Satanists as well as homosexuals.

Divorce and atheism are not necessarily anti-scriptural

Feb 2007
Los Angeles
She's screwed, just as much as if she denied service to a mixed-race couple. Hopefully Iowa will enforce its anit-discrimination law, but if the couple does decide to sue it'll be an open & shut case - they wouldn't even need to hire a lawyer.

I love how the news coverage refers to bigotry by the euphemism "strong beliefs".

That's what bigotry means, just like your bigotry against people of faith

Jun 2009
PaperAlchemist' timestamp='1321382002' post='368605 said:
[quote name='tristanrobin' timestamp='1321381194' post='368596']

I really wish these people would answer "How is it not discrimination to deny service to a homosexual couple while saying its religious conviction, when they do not deny service to divorcees, or Satanists, or Atheists, or people of other religious beliefs?

I suspect they deny services ti Satanists as well as homosexuals.

Divorce and atheism are not necessarily anti-scriptural

[/quote]

Do you have proof that they deny service to Satanists?

And yes actually it is, since Jesus himself condemned divorce, repeatedly, on the other hand Jesus said not a damn word about homosexuality. And Atheism is pretty much self-explanatory.

So yes, unless she denies service equally to heterosexuals as she does to homosexuals using those "Religious convictions", then she is being discriminatory. But you know this already, you just like to stir the piss.

Mar 2007
Alabama
[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Funny. Jesus sat down with tax collectors, thieves, whores, etc. and broke bread and drank with them. But his followers cannot bake a cake for a couple of sinners lesbians. I bet the bitch has no problem baking cakes for divorcees, whores, child molesters and thieves when they get married. [/font]

Jun 2009
[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Funny. Jesus sat down with tax collectors, thieves, whores, etc. and broke bread and drank with them. But his followers cannot bake a cake for a couple of sinners lesbians. I bet the bitch has no problem baking cakes for divorcees, whores, child molesters and thieves when they get married. [/font]

I saw an episode of Dr. Phil that dealt with homosexual marriage, and one of the guests was a lawyer. She said something that I found to be very interesting, and the response she got in return was equally interesting.

She said, "In California, a murderer, Scott Peterson, who murdered his wife and unborn child, has the right to get married even if he is UNDESERVING of the right, while a homosexual couple who have been together for years, who have not broken the law, who pay their taxes, do not have the right to a marriage, there's something wrong with that."

And the anti-gay marriage side basically said there's nothing wrong with that at all. Apparently convicted murderers on death row deserve more rights than a tax paying, law abiding citizen.