Iran breached a limit on its nuclear fuel stockpile which it was meant to observe for another 11 years under Obama-era nuclear deal

Dec 2016
Canada
I had not considered that Iran was exporting their nuclear materials. I can see where, even unintentionally, they would now have a stock pile.

I assume, like any manufacturing process, there is a certain amount of lead time needed to produce the materials for delivery on a certain date.

I can see where they may have had or anticipated orders when the sanctions hit. They can’t simply switch the machines off and stop production.
And aside from seeking leverage with the other signers of the JCPOA, I'm sure they're looking for leverage....especially with the Euro Group who were primary customers for oil shipments before Trump sanctions.

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
And aside from seeking leverage with the other signers of the JCPOA, I'm sure they're looking for leverage....especially with the Euro Group who were primary customers for oil shipments before Trump sanctions.

No matter how imperfect the deal may have been, it was never meant to be the end of negotiations, I believe the US exit was a huge mistake.

Dec 2016
Canada
No matter how imperfect the deal may have been, it was never meant to be the end of negotiations, I believe the US exit was a huge mistake.
Like I said before, it's only greed and narcissism that took Trump down this road! He wanted to scrap the treaty because it was Obama's work, and his primary funders.....like Sheldon Adelson were demanding a war with Iran.

What's significant is that...judging from what passed for debates last week, most of the Democrat pack were running on Trump's right (just like Hillary Clinton in 2016) and complaining Trump wasn't "taking action" on Iran. So, not only has Trump abandoned Obama's strategy, the Democratic Party has as well!

Last edited:
Feb 2007
USA
Here's the core insanity as I see it.

We fought, at a cost of trillions and still counting, Iraq on behalf of Israel. With the smoke still in the air, Israeli leaders began pressuring us to take on Iran.

In the current geopolitical scene, US dependence on ME oil is quite low. However, the Far East and Europe's thirst for ME oil grows. So, who's on the point here, to protect the flow of ME oil to ME oil customers? The good ol' world policeman, the US.

I agree with you. A US-led war with Iran would be disastrous for all involved. Who knows where the price of oil would go if ME oil production facilities suffered significant damage, or what the resulting economic fallout would be? But, here's the kicker.

Obviously, Russia would benefit greatly from higher/much higher oil prices. So, the US would be "fighting for" Russia if a US-led war breaks out in the region.

Can things be any more insane? Probably, but right now I can't see how.
If you ask me, a more constructive approach the US should have taken is for the US to have stuck with the JCPOA (and tweak it as needed through negotiation) and apply sanctions on Iran regarding other actions Iran is taking in the region, such as its military support of one side in the Yemeni civil war. (But, of course to be consistent, the US shouldn't be militarily supporting Saudi Arabia in its support of one side in the Yemeni civil war either.)

And if the US wants to drive a sort of wedge between the Iranian regime and the Iranian people, in an effort to foster political change in Iran, as well as influence Iran's foreign actions, it should publicly state and highlight how much money and blood the Iranian regime has seemingly been spending on the Yemeni civil war, its propping up of the Syrian government, its support of Hezbollah, and any actions by Iran that don't help lead to a two-state political solution between Israel and the Palestinians. But then, this would be constructive "real politicking"...and something which is seemingly foreign to the Trump Administration.

Nov 2012
Gamma Solaris
President Trump will suck a lemon until he wins 2020. Then...he'll do what Jimmy Carter failed to do in 1979...knock the mullahs on the head.