Is a deadline a good thing?

Should we set a deadline to pull our troops out of Iraq?

• Yes, let the public know

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but keep it classified

• No, it's too dangerous

• Total voters
Jan 2005
Massachusetts
The Democrats want a deadline from the Bush administration for when we are going to pull out our troops from Iraq.

The Republicans don't want a deadline because a scheduled date could leave an open door to the terrorists.

I'm sort of in the middle on this argument. I would like to know when our troops are coming home, but then again it is common sense that the terrorists might gain control if we have a set date to when we pull our troops out. I don't know where to go on this one...let's here some different sides of the story.

May 2005
we should set a date when we are sure and then we should keep it private until a few months or even weeks before we release that date but for now we need to keep our troops in Iraq training Iraqi police and soldiers. The insurgent threat will not be eliminated anytime within the next month or two but it can be minimized and they have an operation that is helping to do that right now even though it has not proven to be 100% effective but it has been effective in some way. I think it needs more time to start working completely.

Mar 2005
What Americans don't seem to understand about guerillas is that throughout a conflict of any length, they know that we have to go home sometime. That's what keeps them from scampering away with their tails between their legs (not meant in any sort of racist--or speciesist--context).

They'll keep us there until we give up or die trying; that's what happened with the Viet Cong during the war in Vietname, that's what happened with Aguinaldo and the Filipino guerillas (and say, didn't it happen in colonial America too?), that's just the history of guerilla warfare.

If you ask me, it doesn't matter if we claim victory or we don't. What will determine when America's troops come home is whether or not Bush is man enough to say we fucked up on this one.

You can play big bad police man and boss some poor lowlifes around and shoot rockets into some doors & windows, but that won't save you from roadside bombs and guerilla ambushes. Once the Iraqis start fighting on our terms--that is when we'll be making some sure progress in their territory; but of course, you shouldn't count on that.

May 2005
onlyoneplanet said:
What Americans don't seem to understand about guerillas is that throughout a conflict of any length, they know that we have to go home sometime. That's what keeps them from scampering away with their tails between their legs (not meant in any sort of racist--or speciesist--context).

They'll keep us there until we give up or die trying; that's what happened with the Viet Cong during the war in Vietname, that's what happened with Aguinaldo and the Filipino guerillas (and say, didn't it happen in colonial America too?), that's just the history of guerilla warfare.

If you ask me, it doesn't matter if we claim victory or we don't. What will determine when America's troops come home is whether or not Bush is man enough to say we fucked up on this one.

You can play big bad police man and boss some poor lowlifes around and shoot rockets into some doors & windows, but that won't save you from roadside bombs and guerilla ambushes. Once the Iraqis start fighting on our terms--that is when we'll be making some sure progress in their territory; but of course, you shouldn't count on that.

One thing we do seem to understand is that they like us have to give up sometime as well what we are trying to do is wait them out of the situation. If we give up now think of what will happen to all the Iraqis. Tell me what you think they would do with out us doing our best to keep the insurgents off of their streets (even though right now our best isnt good enough). the insurgents arent just killing our troops they are also killing several innocent Iraqis, you have seen the headlines. The Iraqi people want us to stay as long as it takes to get rid of the suicide bombers.

prescott911 said:
One thing we do seem to understand is that they like us have to give up sometime as well what we are trying to do is wait them out of the situation. If we give up now think of what will happen to all the Iraqis. Tell me what you think they would do with out us doing our best to keep the insurgents off of their streets (even though right now our best isnt good enough). the insurgents arent just killing our troops they are also killing several innocent Iraqis, you have seen the headlines. The Iraqi people want us to stay as long as it takes to get rid of the suicide bombers.

These "insurgents" aren't the only ones killing Iraqi civilians, current estimates say that OUR invasion has claimed the lives of between 22000-25000 civilians. I don't believe anyone could say that the insurgents have killed more civilians than we have.

Feb 2005
I think there should be a classified deadline. They need to get together and set a time to get things done. I know that sounds impossible given the threat, but it doesn't make sense to keep the American people and more importantly the American armed forces wondering just how long this conflict is going to take. Without a strong military and police force, a new Iraqi democracy will not be able to prevail. Considering the amount of attacks and suicide bombings on Iraqi police, I sit and wonder just how long that is going to take. Personally I think to accomplish that goal we need more outside help from other nations, but given the fact that many other nations that could help did not agree with this war in the first place, I find it hard to believe that they will be willing to send their armed forces to certain danger.

Mar 2005
prescott911 said:
[quote name='onlyoneplanet']What Americans don't seem to understand about guerillas is that throughout a conflict of any length, they know that we have to go home sometime. That's what keeps them from scampering away with their tails between their legs (not meant in any sort of racist--or speciesist--context).

One thing we do seem to understand is that they like us have to give up sometime as well what we are trying to do is wait them out of the situation. If we give up now think of what will happen to all the Iraqis. Tell me what you think they would do with out us doing our best to keep the insurgents off of their streets (even though right now our best isnt good enough). the insurgents arent just killing our troops they are also killing several innocent Iraqis, you have seen the headlines. The Iraqi people want us to stay as long as it takes to get rid of the suicide bombers.[/quote]

I'm aware of the consequences they would have to face, should America end up pulling it's troops out too soon. But also realize that the insurgency is fighting for Iraq for the Iraqis, meaning they're not just going to slaughter thousands of innocents for some cryptic cause. Iraq is a disaster with the US troops there or not; but America's quest for a democratic Iraq has become an obligation, despite the widespread disapproval of the war, so I guess we're there to stay for a while... Can't change that.

There's the half that begs the US to stay so they can continue to progress into a Western-influenced country, which--without a doubt--is definately an easier life. Then there's the half that just wants us out so they may organize on their own without the help of the US and it's corrosive effect on culture and it's destructively productive nature.

What do I think they would do without America's help? Frankly, I think they'll they'll wallow in their ruin. But aren't many doing that already? This whole conflict was a mess from when it was first announced. I'm not saying Saddam was a good leader, or a fair leader at that; he was a tyrant. But that doesn't fully justify what has happened to Iraq over the past four years--neither does the oil for your car, neither do the WMDs which were never found, and neither does the ridiculous amount of money spent to get where we are now (by the way, where are we now?). But maybe the schools and running water and electricity do, but in my eyes, the good outweighs the bad.

You can't always (or ever, really) count on the headlines to be helpful, it's just a tool that demonizes the insurgency or glorifies the US' occupation.

May 2005
criticalprocess said:
[quote name='prescott911']

These "insurgents" aren't the only ones killing Iraqi civilians, current estimates say that OUR invasion has claimed the lives of between 22000-25000 civilians. I don't believe anyone could say that the insurgents have killed more civilians than we have.[/quote]

WHat is your source?? and how did we kill them?? using wat weapons??

prescott911 said:
[quote name='criticalprocess'][quote name='prescott911']

These "insurgents" aren't the only ones killing Iraqi civilians, current estimates say that OUR invasion has claimed the lives of between 22000-25000 civilians. I don't believe anyone could say that the insurgents have killed more civilians than we have.[/quote]

WHat is your source?? and how did we kill them?? using wat weapons??[/quote]

www.iraqbodycount.net

Min: 22787

Max: 25814

"What we are attempting to provide is a credible compilation that have been reported by recognized sources. Our maximum therefor refers to reported deaths - which can only be a sample of true deaths unless one assumes that every civilian death has been reported. It is likely that many if not most civilian casualties will go unreported by the media. That is the sad nature of war"

-Iraq Body Count FAQ (it goes more in-depth, you ought to see the site itself)

I'd imagine that the Americans are killing civilians with bombs, rockets, grenades, and bullets... It would be hard to say they're only killed in bombraids when there are confirmed reports of spooked marines accidentally killing innocents who just happened to be in the way after a roadside bomb goes off or they receive fire from a field and can't locate the shooters.