Is a deadline a good thing?

Should we set a deadline to pull our troops out of Iraq?

• Yes, let the public know

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but keep it classified

• No, it's too dangerous

• Total voters
May 2005
what the hell BBC is full of crap. How would we be able to keep track of the Iraqi dead?? We are able to keep track of our own servicemen and women because we have been documenting every single restation of our troops plus , wouldnt it make more sense to keep our troops a priority over Iraqi civilians, as cruel or wrong as it may seem?? Iraq was and isnt organized enough to keep track of its losses the iraqi government wasnt that organized in terms of paperwork while Saddam was in charge so there was not much paperwork for us to be able to utilize. as you saw in the article you gave me.

"It should be recognised that there is no reliable way of estimating the number of civilian casualties caused during major combat operations"

British defence ministry

"In the chaos of Iraq, people die, they are quickly buried and nothing more may be heard of them. Fighters dress in street clothes... indistinguishable from civilians"

Ken Roth

Human Rights Watch

prescott911 said:
what the hell BBC is full of crap. How would we be able to keep track of the Iraqi dead?? We are able to keep track of our own servicemen and women because we have been documenting every single restation of our troops plus , wouldnt it make more sense to keep our troops a priority over Iraqi civilians, as cruel or wrong as it may seem?? Iraq was and isnt organized enough to keep track of its losses the iraqi government wasnt that organized in terms of paperwork while Saddam was in charge so there was not much paperwork for us to be able to utilize. as you saw in the article you gave me.

"It should be recognised that there is no reliable way of estimating the number of civilian casualties caused during major combat operations"

British defence ministry

"In the chaos of Iraq, people die, they are quickly buried and nothing more may be heard of them. Fighters dress in street clothes... indistinguishable from civilians"

Ken Roth

Human Rights Watch

Indeed there is no way of estimating the number of casualties caused during war, there are so many that are never accounted for because of the circumstances under which they were killed. Is it easier to say there were more killed than there actually were, or less killed than there actually were, considering the cold, hard fact that a good number of civilian deaths will never be reported?

Are they still fighters if they don't have weapons of any sorts on them? If any grown man or woman is too stupid to figure out whether or not an Iraqi corpse is civilian or insurgent judging by the weapon or lack-there-of, I don't think they would be trusted to take samples for statistics on Iraqi dead.

I believe the compilation of confirmed Iraqi civilian deaths speaks louder than the easily combatable words of two men.

May 2005
onlyoneplanet said:
I believe the compilation of confirmed Iraqi civilian deaths speaks louder than the easily combatable words of two men.

I know, I just wanted to give quotational proof from two people that actually had thought about or even tried to make a system to keep track of the Iraqi civilian dead.

prescott911 said:
[quote name='onlyoneplanet']I believe the compilation of confirmed Iraqi civilian deaths speaks louder than the easily combatable words of two men.

I know, I just wanted to give quotational proof from two people that actually had thought about or even tried to make a system to keep track of the Iraqi civilian dead.[/quote]

Ahhh, okay I hear you on that. Sorry if it seemed like I was flaming on you; I get caught up in the moment, you know?

May 2005
onlyoneplanet said:
[quote name='prescott911'][quote name='onlyoneplanet']I believe the compilation of confirmed Iraqi civilian deaths speaks louder than the easily combatable words of two men.

I know, I just wanted to give quotational proof from two people that actually had thought about or even tried to make a system to keep track of the Iraqi civilian dead.[/quote]

Ahhh, okay I hear you on that. Sorry if it seemed like I was flaming on you; I get caught up in the moment, you know?[/quote]

I understand I do it all the time, happy Fourth of July by the way.

tadpole256

Former Staff
May 2005
Planet Earth (Mostly)
Quite frankly, I don't think any of us have enough information or experience to really decide inteligently whether or not a deadline would be a good idea. Either way I think publicly announcing it would be a mistake.

May 2005
tadpole256 said:
Quite frankly, I don't think any of us have enough information or experience to really decide inteligently whether or not a deadline would be a good idea. Either way I think publicly announcing it would be a mistake.

Yea I agree but from all the knowledge I presently have I would say not revealing it to the public until about 2 weeks before it will actually happen would be a good idea.

Feb 2005
tadpole256 said:

I agree with you also, but you can at least agree they can't just leave that questioned unanswered. They have to leave sometime. Don't make a public deadline, but privately I hope they are adressing a sensible time to get their goals done.