Is Anybody Else Sick to Death of Hearing Democrats Gripe About the Choice Between Two Old White Men?!

Dec 2006
New Haven, CT
I have just about had it up to my eye-teeth with hearing liberals and progressives and Democrats in general bemoan the fact that we have to choose between two "old white men" as our candidate for president.

WTF!

We had RECORD NUMBERS of African-American, LatinX, Asian, Women - even a Gay man! - candidates in the line-up this year. It was the most diverse bingo-card there has been in my lifetime...I would venture to say in the history of our nation.

And, after the VOTING from the DEMOCRATIC VOTERS happened, so far they have CHOSEN the "two old white men" as THEIR CHOICES for the final run.

So, let's can it with the crocodile tears about the conventional choices. These are the choices that the majority (and a HUGE majority, not a slim one!) of Democrats voted for. If the majority of the Democrats wanted a Woman, or an African American or Asian, or LatinX candidate, they would have voted for one!

soap-box.jpg

Jan 2015
MD
The real problem is identity politics, and every candidate who ran on it failed.

Kamala Harris said "I'm a Black woman vote for me!" Failed.

Pete Buttigieg said "I'm a gay White guy vote for me!" He failed too.

People are tired of it. People want actual solutions, not appeals to tribalism.

Dec 2006
New Haven, CT
The real problem is identity politics, and every candidate who ran on it failed.

Gordy, I don't think Yang did - I don't think Corey Booker did - I don't think Amy Klobachar did.

I really don't think Yang had a chance - but he was a helluva good man with excellent ideas and solutions and vision.

I have a difficult time with identity politics right now. On one hand, like everybody with more than two firing brain cells, I'm sick to death of the whole concept of identity politics. On the other hand, I know that we STILL have a huge inequality problem in our nation, and identity politics is the only way we're going to get it - somehow - corrected. So, we're damned if we do and damned if we don't engage in them.

Sep 2015
Stage Left

Elizabeth Warren ran on solutions to problems, with dozens of detailed plans. you know why people didnt vote for her? that electability bs that is directly related to being a white man. and no they didnt all run on "identity politics" but the people that voted went with the "safe" options (again, cover for white man).

i am tired of inadequate or mediocre white men period.

Jan 2015
MD
Elizabeth Warren ran on solutions to problems, with dozens of detailed plans. you know why people didnt vote for her? that electability bs that is directly related to being a white man. and no they didnt all run on "identity politics" but the people that voted went with the "safe" options (again, cover for white man).
I never attacked Warren. My statements don't apply to her.

Agreed.

The idea that a senile old White guy is the most electable candidate is straight up identity politics.

Reactions: Lyzza
Dec 2006
New Haven, CT

You know. I'm tired of this. That's not true. Just becaue your candidate didn't win votes doesn't mean she wasn't voted for because of your hypotheticals. I didn't like her because I didn't like two very big things about her plans. She was going to give everything free to everybody (it was being paid for by the wealth tax - I know). And she was going to do almost everything to make the borders open.

I am a voter - and a liberal one - who believes in health care for all and college loan forgiveness and other things - but geeze - her list of giveaways were out of line IMO. And I also don't want Trump's wall or kids in cages or ICE to stay in existence or DACA to end. But, the idea of all the millions of easy to get green cards and other programs she endorsed were out of line.

I don't consider myself a 'centrist' - but if that's what I am because I don't want to give away the whole pot of soup, than I'll take the label.

edited to add: And if all anybody in the Democratic party was interested in was an 'old white man,' Bernie would have run against Trump last year, and not Hillary.

Reactions: justoneman
Sep 2015
Stage Left
You know. I'm tired of this. That's not true. Just becaue your candidate didn't win votes doesn't mean she wasn't voted for because of your hypotheticals. I didn't like her because I didn't like two very big things about her plans. She was going to give everything free to everybody (it was being paid for by the wealth tax - I know). And she was going to do almost everything to make the borders open.

I am a voter - and a liberal one - who believes in health care for all and college loan forgiveness and other things - but geeze - her list of giveaways were out of line IMO. And I also don't want Trump's wall or kids in cages or ICE to stay in existence or DACA to end. But, the idea of all the millions of easy to get green cards and other programs she endorsed were out of line.

I don't consider myself a 'centrist' - but if that's what I am because I don't want to give away the whole pot of soup, than I'll take the label.

edited to add: And if all anybody in the Democratic party was interested in was an 'old white man,' Bernie would have run against Trump last year, and not Hillary.
omfg Tristan calm down...

i dont care what label you want to claim, own it. we agree on what, like 99% of everything i have seen so far. so you didnt like my cadidate, i prob didnt like yours.... wtf ever!

i am not in the business of handing out labels unless people are actively being racist, sexist, homophobic, etc or just a plain as effing moron. i will call them out of course. otherwise whatever, i dont care. we still agree on like ok maybe now it is 98% of everything lol

Feb 2020
Houston

Joe Biden said, "Anybody who can throw coal into a furnace can learn how to program for god's sake," and the Dem establishment said, "He's our man!"

Reactions: Gordy
May 2018
none

Neither of our choices now are even close to being as inadequate or mediocre as Trump. These are now our choices and we have to go with one of them.