Is Anybody Else Sick to Death of Hearing Democrats Gripe About the Choice Between Two Old White Men?!

Jun 2019
CA
The current possible Democratic nominees are both old white men. I have less problem with the white men part than the OLD.

Trump was the oldest president ever when first inaugurated at 70. If he serves two terms, he'll be 78 at the end of the second term.

Biden will be 78 at the START of his first term, 82 at the start of a second term and 86 at the end of a second term.
Sanders is a year older than Biden.

Being President of the United States is a demanding job, both mentally and physically. It's not for octogenarians. But the Democrats have to choose between a guy who's already starting to show signs of dementia and a guy who had a heart attack six months ago.

Choose the VP candidates carefully.

Reactions: Clara007
Feb 2020
Houston
Elizabeth Warren ran on venom. No wonder you love her.
That's why I love her.

Seeing her shred Bloomie in his first debate was one of the best moments in in the history of politics. I'm telling you, that's what they had in mind when they invented television. Before that, only a privileged few would have gotten to see, "that moment when you realize a former fired-for-getting-pregnant public school teacher just threw your five hundred million into the trash can."

She and Bernie seriously need to make an independent run if they Party screws them over the way they clearly intend to. Sure, Trump will win, but that's inevitable anyway.

Make the Party Bosses pay, and maybe they won't pull that crap in 2024.

Dec 2015
Arizona
I have just about had it up to my eye-teeth with hearing liberals and progressives and Democrats in general bemoan the fact that we have to choose between two "old white men" as our candidate for president.

WTF!

We had RECORD NUMBERS of African-American, LatinX, Asian, Women - even a Gay man! - candidates in the line-up this year. It was the most diverse bingo-card there has been in my lifetime...I would venture to say in the history of our nation.

And, after the VOTING from the DEMOCRATIC VOTERS happened, so far they have CHOSEN the "two old white men" as THEIR CHOICES for the final run.

So, let's can it with the crocodile tears about the conventional choices. These are the choices that the majority (and a HUGE majority, not a slim one!) of Democrats voted for. If the majority of the Democrats wanted a Woman, or an African American or Asian, or LatinX candidate, they would have voted for one!

View attachment 8375
Sorry but NO. For once (and it doesn't happen often) I'm on the other side of your issue and I don't care if you're sick of it. Get used to it.
I'm one of the ONES who is outraged that all we have to choose from is another slate of OLD, WHITE, WEALTHY, career politician, East Coast MEN. AND here's why:
There are 166 million women in this country and 160 million men. There are only 10 states that have more men than women. There are more women in the workplace. There are more college-educated women than men. There are more women managing the wealth of this nation. Women live longer than men in this country. AND yet----our congress is comprised of 25% women. (Only 5 in the Senate) Our cabinet positions? Three. How many women are running for president? ZERO (at this point). I don't know about you but it's high time that the wealthy white American men stopped running this country. They have failed us. Completely.
The voters have decided and it's the wrong decision. There's nothing wrong with raising the roof, rattling cages, shouting at the top of our lungs that WOMEN belong in the HOUSE, the SENATE and the WHITE HOUSE. Why should women stand by quietly? Why should we be seen and not heard? Why should we NOT be allowed to govern?

This is an American mind-set created by WHITE MEN. This is the same mindset that FINALLY decided women had enough brains to vote. Women are too emotional we were told. Women have PMS we are told. Women want to stay home, bake cookies and have babies we are told. NO!
We will not sit down and shut up. AND that is our RIGHT, granted to us by the U.S. Constitution.
I have worked my entire life with girls and young women. Every organization I belong to is scholarship-driven and I interview dozens of girls (college-bound).
I will not *WILL NOT* say to them, "sorry honey--it's still a man's world and that man is WHITE, wealthy and probably old." Why should I defeat them when I know that eventually we WILL have more women governing this nation. I hope to God it's one of MY girls--and they are ALL MY GIRLS.

Screen Shot 2020-03-08 at 5.31.02 PM.png

• Love
Reactions: Lyzza
Jul 2014
massachusetts
A big part of this was the impeachment, instead of the primary season being the first breath of a new political season, the political junkies who get energized by that were burnt out from watching hearings, tempering the excitement.
And we don't have a reality show performer, we're a little charisma challenged this round.
We have some candidates who could have done very well, but they needed a party organization to adopt them and groom them, and that organization is wicked dysfunctional.

My rep, Seth Moulton, is a good lookin' center left (maybe more center than I care for, but that doesn't matter)
He needed to be groomed, he needed help, he waited too long to announce, he's not a showboat, he's a serious dude, and he recently married, got a kid, he's a decorated marine, successful businessman, and when he ran for congress, it was the only race in the country, where BOTH candidates polled favorably.
There is a lot there to work with, but we get what we get.
And if it's Biden, we work for Biden, because the alternative is the end of freedom.

Dec 2015
Arizona
The real problem is identity politics, and every candidate who ran on it failed.

Kamala Harris said "I'm a Black woman vote for me!" Failed.

Pete Buttigieg said "I'm a gay White guy vote for me!" He failed too.

People are tired of it. People want actual solutions, not appeals to tribalism.
That is a bunch of crap. ALL politics is identity politics and it's always BEEN identity politics. You want to target a certain vote, you identify with that voter. Whites, blacks, unions, Christians. Give me an example of a candidate who DOES not/HAS formed exclusive political alliances. Which candidate has NOT prioritized the concerns of a particular ethnic, cultural, social subset? They are targets and STEP #1 of every ground-level campaign staff.
AND I bet you can't guess who are the largest group of identity voters?
WHITE MEN.
AND why can't identity politics involve solutions? Why would you think for a minute those two elements can't be combined? Do you think Obama didn't thrive on identity AND solutions?

Reactions: Lyzza
Sep 2015
Stage Left
Sorry but NO. For once (and it doesn't happen often) I'm on the other side of your issue and I don't care if you're sick of it. Get used to it.
I'm one of the ONES who is outraged that all we have to choose from is another slate of OLD, WHITE, WEALTHY, career politician, East Coast MEN. AND here's why:
There are 166 million women in this country and 160 million men. There are only 10 states that have more men than women. There are more women in the workplace. There are more college-educated women than men. There are more women managing the wealth of this nation. Women live longer than men in this country. AND yet----our congress is comprised of 25% women. (Only 5 in the Senate) Our cabinet positions? Three. How many women are running for president? ZERO (at this point). I don't know about you but it's high time that the wealthy white American men stopped running this country. They have failed us. Completely.
The voters have decided and it's the wrong decision. There's nothing wrong with raising the roof, rattling cages, shouting at the top of our lungs that WOMEN belong in the HOUSE, the SENATE and the WHITE HOUSE. Why should women stand by quietly? Why should we be seen and not heard? Why should we NOT be allowed to govern?

This is an American mind-set created by WHITE MEN. This is the same mindset that FINALLY decided women had enough brains to vote. Women are too emotional we were told. Women have PMS we are told. Women want to stay home, bake cookies and have babies we are told. NO!
We will not sit down and shut up. AND that is our RIGHT, granted to us by the U.S. Constitution.
I have worked my entire life with girls and young women. Every organization I belong to is scholarship-driven and I interview dozens of girls (college-bound).
I will not *WILL NOT* say to them, "sorry honey--it's still a man's world and that man is WHITE, wealthy and probably old." Why should I defeat them when I know that eventually we WILL have more women governing this nation. I hope to God it's one of MY girls--and they are ALL MY GIRLS.

View attachment 8409
"I'm running for president, because that's what girls do" -- Elizabeth Warren

i love you Clara.

• Love
Jul 2018
Earth
That is a bunch of crap. ALL politics is identity politics and it's always BEEN identity politics. You want to target a certain vote, you identify with that voter. Whites, blacks, unions, Christians. Give me an example of a candidate who DOES not/HAS formed exclusive political alliances. Which candidate has NOT prioritized the concerns of a particular ethnic, cultural, social subset? They are targets and STEP #1 of every ground-level campaign staff.
AND I bet you can't guess who are the largest group of identity voters?
WHITE MEN.
AND why can't identity politics involve solutions? Why would you think for a minute those two elements can't be combined? Do you think Obama didn't thrive on identity AND solutions?
The problem is that the candidates have to kiss certain asses during the primaries if they want to win the nomination. That changes during the general election when the candidate has to just focus on the asses in certain States that will produce 270 electoral college votes. The others don't matter even if they made it possible for the candidate to get the nomination.

Dec 2015
Arizona
I just heard an interesting rumor last night. Biden has offered the VP job to Kamala Harris? which is probably why she is now endorsing Joe.
If Joe is going to be the DNC pick I hope this is true. This alone mollifies me because I'm not sure Joe's going to make it for four years.
I have serious concerns about his mental health.