Is Biden the Safe Candidate? Maybe not.

Dec 2015
Arizona
Four headlines caught my eye this morning. Here they are.
+Dems decide that Biden, as risky as he ever was, is the safest bet.
+Dems make a risky bet on Biden.
+Biden's campaign has a problem, and it's Biden.
+Biden is not the safe choice.

What's this all about? The same thing it's always been about but in this case, the word "safe" doesn't mean what you think it means.
Let's start with the Esquire piece. (This was written before Super Tuesday.)
Bernie Sanders has been clear about his vision for victory: that he will galvanize a grassroots coalition of working-class people, many of them young people of color and others who have never participated in the political process, to form a new American majority movement.

But his candidacy presents risks. So far, after four primary contests—two of which were shamefully undemocratic caucuses—this revolution in participation hasn't yet materialized. On Super Tuesday, today, he needs it to happen. (Obviously--it didn't)

The article goes on to say that "Biden is running on a Return to Decency and Normalcy platform without a whole lot else to it. Does anyone seriously believe he will go out and fight for a public option on healthcare? Will he seek to reform Wall Street or corporate governance or rein in the monopoly power? Will he champion a Green New Deal, or a plan of similar ambition, to unchain our economy from the fossil fuels that pose such a dire threat to the middle future of human civilization? Will he fight to raise the minimum wage? Will he do battle with Big Pharma to bring down drug prices?"

AND lastly: The Democratic Party has spurned the opportunity to nominate someone who, like Barack Obama in 2008, embodies the kind of change they are promising. We're left with the old folks now, as even the comparatively youthful Elizabeth Warren fades from contention. The future of our world is now dependent on those who largely will not live to see it. Let's hope at least one of them is up to the job of saving it.

And VOX:
The Democratic elite has unified around Biden largely on the grounds of electability, that he’s more likely than chief rival Bernie Sanders to beat Trump in the general election. But some comments underscore that Biden might not be nearly as safe on that front as either Democratic officials or voters think. They’re risking setting themselves up for a fall campaign mired in scandal and innuendo — a 2020 version of “Her Emails” that plays right into Trump’s “drain the swamp” narrative.

AND the NYTimes:
Lifted by a hasty unity among center-left Democrats disinclined toward political revolution, Mr. Biden has propelled himself in the span of three days from electoral failure to would-be juggernaut. He has demonstrated durable strength with African-Americans and emerged as the if-everyone-says-so vessel for tactical voters who think little of Senator Bernie Sanders and fear that his nomination would mean four more years of President Trump.

I'm concerned. Thoughts?

Dec 2019
Utah, USA
In a very real sense, I think the Black community owns the Democrat party. It's those voters that decided who the nominee will be. I can't say with any certainty if they're right about Biden, but I am fairly certain that Bernie would not be, no matter who Putin wants the nominee to be!

Bottom line? (mo), if it's true that the #1 priority this cycle is to defeat tRump, then Biden is one of the better choices. A moderate has a much better chance of accomplishing that 1 priority.

Reactions: se7en
Dec 2015
Arizona
In a very real sense, I think the Black community owns the Democrat party. It's those voters that decided who the nominee will be. I can't say with any certainty if they're right about Biden, but I am fairly certain that Bernie would not be, no matter who Putin wants the nominee to be!

Bottom line? (mo), if it's true that the #1 priority this cycle is to defeat tRump, then Biden is one of the better choices. A moderate has a much better chance of accomplishing that 1 priority.
Well, it looks like (and it's early yet) that Biden will be the choice, but I'm not convinced he's the right choice.

Dec 2018
Indiana
IF he gets the nomination, let's pray he's got the desire, energy, and stamina to fight day in and day out. You've got to want the Office badly to win it.

Biden should be making a huge issue, right now to the media, out of Trump's latest vow to cut Social Security and Medicare. If he can't do that, he doesn't deserve the Office.

Dec 2019
Utah, USA
Well, it looks like (and it's early yet) that Biden will be the choice, but I'm not convinced he's the right choice.
I'm not convinced either Clara, just making an observation based on fact. Anyone that tells you "they know" something should have spoken up before Super Tuesday so we would have proof they saw this coming =)

Reactions: se7en and Clara007