Is it constitutional for government or law enforcement agents to use or be in possession of deadly force instruments?

Sep 2018
cleveland ohio
what are cops supposed to do use hash language, what a crazy question, how could you enforce the law, okay police excessive force is a real problem but your throwing out the baby with the bath water

Nov 2017
Yes to a degree. Actual law enforcement agencies can be armed. The concept dates to Boston in the 1630s with armed constables and watchmen. By the mid 1700s, towns had armed sheriffs. In 1833, Philadelphia created the first 24 hour police force and other cities followed suit.
Why can they be armed, and what difference does it make when & where they started being armed? That doesn't prove they can be armed anymore than the South having a "separate but equal" policy means it's allowed.
Agencies such as the IRS, etc, should not be armed.
Why not?

Nov 2017
what are cops supposed to do use hash language, what a crazy question, how could you enforce the law, okay police excessive force is a real problem but your throwing out the baby with the bath water
It doesn't sound to me like you know what you're talking about at all. Killing people is not law enforcement. Guns are tools that can only kill people; having and using a gun is not administering justice.

Why is it my problem how they're supposed to enforce the law? I pay a lot of money in taxes for them to figure out how to do that. Do I have to do their job for them? If so, I want my money back.

Sep 2018
cleveland ohio
It doesn't sound to me like you know what you're talking about at all. Killing people is not law enforcement. Guns are tools that can only kill people; having and using a gun is not administering justice.

Why is it my problem how they're supposed to enforce the law? I pay a lot of money in taxes for them to figure out how to do that. Do I have to do their job for them? If so, I want my money back.
so how would you dela with a bank robbery or an armed domestic violence complaint use your head your talking non sense, armed gangsters drug dealer white slavers the police need to be armed of course especially in the usa

Sep 2018
cleveland ohio
Why can they be armed, and what difference does it make when & where they started being armed? That doesn't prove they can be armed anymore than the South having a "separate but equal" policy means it's allowed.

Why not?
you dont want to pay your taxes do you ? this conversation is insane someone has to maintain order and often that requires deadly force end of conversation the constituion covers this in prodi ng for te common defense

Apr 2015
Stockport. UK
Unless we're at war or under martial law, or someone has been sentenced to death, I don't see where in the US Constitution it says that it's ok for the state to use deadly force against US Citizens. What I do find is the opposite with Amendment V:

Just about all police in the US are armed with deadly force (there actually seem to be some exceptions, from what I've read) and they have actually killed many people.
Police only carry weapons in order to defend themselves and the public, as far as I'm aware they have no more right to use deadly force than the ordinary citizen, though I'm aware that due to, in my view, lack of training, police use of deadly force in the US often oversteps these boundaries.

Last edited:
Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
Police only carry weapons in order to defend themselves and the public, as far as I'm aware they have no more right to use deadly force than the ordinary citizen, though I'm aware that due to, in my view, lack of training, police use of deadly force in the US often oversteps these boundaries.

Actually the police here in the states have to demonstrate less justification for the use of deadly force than our military over seas.