Is it Honorable to Join the Police Force, Naive, or Other?

Dec 2013
Everything is going to be OK
Depends on your intentions.

When i was younger like 19-21 (i really don't remember) i wanted to go into the fbi so i met w/ a couple people who i knew who were high up in law enforcement and they suggested that i went thru the police force for a few years. I looked into it and it would have been a pay cut for me to go from being a sous chef to a cop. I had no idea that they made so little. That was the end of that. Well that and driving around giving out traffic violations sounded dull as hell.

Nov 2017
Virginia
I don't think there's anything wrong with joining a police force. We need law enforcement and someone has to do that.

The only thing I'd say for now is that if it's your intention to be a corrupt cop, or you don't have any intention of enforcing the law (which is what you'd be getting paid to do), find something else to do to keep yourself busy.

Dec 2017
USA
@Lyzza

Do teachers, social workers, etc. our their lives on the line?

I will grant that being a nurse is (generally) honorable however, teacher in k-12--no. I am not sure what the "etc." is intended to stand for? THough, since you mentioned nurses, I will add that Paramedics/ EMT is very honorable--it should be noted, Cops are doing more rescue medic work today as well.

Sep 2015
Stage Left
@Lyzza

Do teachers, social workers, etc. our their lives on the line?

I will grant that being a nurse is (generally) honorable however, teacher in k-12--no. I am not sure what the "etc." is intended to stand for? THough, since you mentioned nurses, I will add that Paramedics/ EMT is very honorable--it should be noted, Cops are doing more rescue medic work today as well.
who cares? they all have a huge influence on the lives of people, that is honorable. and yeah, my mom was a CCRN forever and she did have patients that tried to kill her, and even had a shootout with a gang and police in the ER when they were trying to bring in patients. so yeah, she did put her life on the line to save lives. etc means there are tons of honorable professions, there isnt anything special about police.

Jun 2012
Barsoom
Any job can be honorable if one makes it honorable and that requires being the best they can be at the job. A janitor's job can be honorable if the goal is to be the best. working as a police officer can be dishonorable if the cop is not honorable. There are degrees as well. The very best and most honorable used car salesman would not be as inherently honorable a job where one puts their life on the line everyday to protect others or a country and are honorable while doing so.