Is it Honorable to Join the Police Force, Naive, or Other?

Dec 2017
USA
wtf are you doing worrying about this hypothetical "rank" anyway? you seriously need to get a grip on life.

i still have hope for you tho...............
@Lyzza

I actually agree with Jimmyb's post, on the previous page--(essentially) any job can be honorable as long as the person doing it is one of integrity and performs the task to the best of their ability/excels at it. Likewise, you could have someone in a very respectable field, who is a complete liability to the mission or may even be the opposite of the job is supposed to be.

Now, as for this topic, it is not that I am trying to "rank" them, more that those who take bigger personal risks in order to keep society functioning are deserving of (generally) proportionately more recognition and support.

Dec 2017
USA
Also, MathFan, frankly I don't think people who can't think for themselves deserve respect. In the end their whole worldview, indeed their whole lives, are dictated to them by other people. They are, in essence, non-entities.
@Peter the Roman

I understand where you are coming from, though do you make any exceptions for young adults?--as, they may still "come online" at some point? Or, has it generally been your experience that the type of people who were, lets say followers, growing up--continue that throughout the entirety of their life, with "waking up" being rare?

Sep 2017
Pennsylfaani
@Peter the Roman

I understand where you are coming from, though do you make any exceptions for young adults?--as, they may still "come online" at some point? Or, has it generally been your experience that the type of people who were, lets say followers, growing up--continue that throughout the entirety of their life, with "waking up" being rare?
Most people lack an inner voice, and thus lack the ability to truly think for themselves. If you are not self-aware, then can you even be alive?

Sep 2015
Stage Left
I don't know why you pretend like you don't enjoy our games, Lyzza. It's probably the first time a man has ever talked to you and not folded like a house of cards in a gust of wind.

Also, MathFan, frankly I don't think people who can't think for themselves deserve respect. In the end their whole worldview, indeed their whole lives, are dictated to them by other people. They are, in essence, non-entities.
bullshit.

i know a lot of great men that i talk to every day, and none of them are as cowardly or as just plain stupid as you.

Sep 2015
Stage Left
@Peter the Roman, Lyzza

That, in fact, touches on a good point--if you (i.e. Lyzza, anyone,...) think that a person who works at the NY Fire Department, etc. etc. is not deserving of particular respect for their work, as compared to a 'typical 9-5' where do you think 'you' rank by that same standard?

Edit: Does this tie back into feminism?--as, you would be forced to accept that men do selfless, impressive deeds i.e. are a force for good in the world.
ummmmmmmmmm, women do too, in police, fire etc jobs you are holding so sacred. and also in the jobs i mentioned, but without any of the chest beating you guys do about your "heroes"

pffftttttt :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sep 2015
Stage Left
@Peter the Roman

Interesting, I am going to have to read into that a lot more. I suppose, I am capable of projecting my inner experiences onto others, and will have to correct for that bias through further study.
you do that all the time, and if you do correct it maybe you will free yourself of all these ridiculous ideas these guys are feeding you.