Is it TIME ? A MODEST PROPOSAL FOR SEPARATING BLUE STATES FROM RED

Sep 2018
cleveland ohio
Dear Red-State Trump Voter,
Let’s face it, guys: We’re done.
For more than 80 years now, we—the residents of what some people like to call Blue America, but which I prefer to think of as the United States of We Pay Our Own Damn Way—have shelled out far more in federal tax monies than we took in. We have funded massive infrastructure projects in your rural counties, subsidized your schools and your power plants and your nursing homes, sent you entire industries, and simultaneously absorbed the most destitute, unskilled, and oppressed portions of your populations, white and black alike.
All of which, it turns out, only left you more bitter, white, and alt-right than ever.

Not literally, of course. Not even the good people of Canada should have to stomach a mass migration of moping American liberals mumbling, “Live locally … make art.” What I mean is that it’s time for blue states and cities to effectively abandon the American national enterprise, as it is currently constituted. Call it the New Federalism. Or Virtual Secession. Or Conscious Uncoupling—though that’s already been used. Or maybe Bluexit.

Truth is, you red states just haven’t been pulling your weight. Not for, well, forever. Red states are nearly twice as dependent on the federal government as blue states. Of the twelve states that received the least federal aid in return for each tax dollar they contribute to the U.S. Treasury, ten of them voted for Hillary Clinton—and the other two were Michigan and Wisconsin, your newest recruits. By the same count, 20 of the 26 states most dependent on federal aid went to Trump.
Take Mississippi (please!), famous for being 49th or 50th in just about everything that matters. When it comes to sucking at the federal teat, the Magnolia State is the undisputed champ. More than 40 percent of Mississippi’s state revenue comes from federal funding; one-third of its GDP comes from federal spending; for every dollar it pays out in federal taxes, it takes in $4.70 in federal aid; one in five residents are on food stamps—all national highs. You people—your phrase, not mine—liked to bash Obama for turning America into what you derisively referred to as “Food Stamp Nation.” In reality, it’s more like Food Stamp Red America—something your Trump-loving congressmen will discover if and when they fulfill their vow to gut the program.

More than a century ago, William Jennings Bryan—a real populist—assured angry rural citizens that if we burned down our cities, they would spring up again as if by magic, fueled by the prosperity and providence of the nation’s farmers. Today, if we were to burn down our cities, the rest of the country would likely become a wholly owned province of the People’s Republic of China.

We give up. You win. From now on, we’ll treat the animating ideal on which the United States was founded—out of many, one—as dead and buried. Federalism, truefederalism, which you have vilified for the past century, is officially over, at least in spirit. You want to organize the nation around your cherished principle of states’ rights—the idea that pretty much everything except the U.S. military and paper currency and the national anthem should be decided at the local level? Fine. We won’t formally secede, in the Civil War sense of the word. We’ll still be a part of the United States, at least on paper. But we’ll turn our back on the federal government in every way we can, just like you’ve been urging everyone to do for years, and devote our hard-earned resources to building up our own cities and states. We’ll turn Blue America into a world-class incubator for progressive programs and policies, a laboratory for a guaranteed income and a high-speed public rail system and free public universities. We’ll focus on getting our own house in order, while yours falls into disrepair and ruin. Why Blue States Should Exit Red America

Jul 2015
chicago
I think it would be very funny if the country was divided into two countries.. Lefty USA would be California Oregon and Washington on the west coast and the states on the north east coast along with a couple of "islands" being Minnesota and Illinois.. The Righty USA would be everything else. The Righty USA could sell Lefty USA everything it needs to survive. Oil and water mainly. Good luck Lefty USA......You will need it.

May 2018
Chicago
I think it would be very funny if the country was divided into two countries.. Lefty USA would be California Oregon and Washington on the west coast and the states on the north east coast along with a couple of "islands" being Minnesota and Illinois.. The Righty USA would be everything else. The Righty USA could sell Lefty USA everything it needs to survive. Oil and water mainly. Good luck Lefty USA......You will need it.
Good luck to you also, your funding would be gone. If no one subsidizes you, as we do, we would be free to seek cheaper alternatives. And water? Please, we in Illinois and the north got that pretty much locked up. Plus, Michigan just turned blue. So did Wisconsin. We basically own the great lakes, along with Canada.

Here's a better idea, stop acting like assholes and move into the 21st century. You're going to have to eventually. That's what this article really means. Get your shit together and prepare for the challenges we all face. Start working together instead of looking for some enemy all the time. Start looking at others who may be different as your allies. Because sooner or later, that is going to be reality.

Last edited:
Sep 2018
cleveland ohio
you do know who actually owns and produces the welath of this nation dont you? look at who the richest states are List of U.S. states by GDP per capita - Wikipedia 5 States with the Highest Real GDP Per Capita

Jul 2015
chicago
Good luck to you also, your funding would be gone. If no one subsidizes you, as we do, we would be free to seek cheaper alternatives. And water? Please, we in Illinois and the north got that pretty much locked up. Plus, Michigan just turned blue. So did Wisconsin. We basically own the great lakes, along with Canada.

Here's a better idea, stop acting like assholes and move into the 21st century. You're going to have to eventually. That's what this article really means. Get your shit together and prepare for the challenges we all face. Start working together instead of looking for some enemy all the time. Start looking at others who may be different as your allies. Because sooner or later, that is going to be reality.
Sorry but the reality is the red states subsidize the blue states with regards to tax write offs. The only reason the red states have a higher wage is because of local inflation and high taxes. Take away the real estate deductions and those on the coasts are screwed. Well they are already screwed because those with jobs cannot afford decent housing unless they are rich.

Jul 2015
chicago
Here is an idea. Stop voting for Democrats in Illinois. You guys have ruined the state and it is only a few years away from going belly up. I only hope it lasts long enough for me to be able to sell my house and move out of the state in four years.

Sep 2018
cleveland ohio
Sorry but the reality is the red states subsidize the blue states with regards to tax write offs. The only reason the red states have a higher wage is because of local inflation and high taxes. Take away the real estate deductions and those on the coasts are screwed. Well they are already screwed because those with jobs cannot afford decent housing unless they are rich.
we produce more than you

Jul 2015
chicago
we produce more than you
I live in Illinois a blue state I know just how shitty the government is and how crappy the taxes are.. The state is dying. I may earn more in Illinois than I did when I lived in Charlotte NC but so what? The money goes into failing teacher pensions and little else in Illinois. The higher GDP you speak of is just burnt money. Meaningless.

May 2018
USA
If the USA broke up, red states and blue states, the red states would be about on par with Mexico within a year or two. The infrastructure in red states would collapse almost immediately without "welfare" from the blue states to pay for stuff. Mass starvation would be endemic since most of America's food is grown in, SURPRISE, CALIFORNIA and other blue states. But they have plenty of cotton and tobacco to eat down South.

The blue states, suddenly freed of the shackles of having to pay the way for the unproductive, parasitic red states, would probably institute common sense changes to the law. Economically they'd thrive.