Is Poverty in Black America More the Product of Racism or Culture?

Dec 2018
New England

Please watch this
Thanks again for posting this. As I said previously I think this is a powerful presentation, but even from the first time I watched it there was something that bothered me about it, and I didn’t put my finger on what it was until this morning.

For openers, I’ll acknowledge this is a subtle point, and it’s probably something that was not intentionally done by its authors. But the race for the $100 bill perpetuates a misconception of the economy that I find all too common on the left, i.e. that the economy and wealth creation is a zero sum game, and that the poor are poor because the rich got theirs first and have left nothing behind.

In this video we see some contestants with a headstart, and I think we can agree that’s a fair representation of real life for all the reasons given. The race metaphor breaks down in a big way, however, with message that only the winner(s) get to grab the prize, in this case a $100 bill, and by the time those who are disadvantaged cross the finish line there’s no prize waiting for them. That’s simply not reality. Neither Bill Gates earning his billions nor your lily white high school friend from the well-to-do family scoring a partnership with a big firm impact your potential earnings in any way. Your potential is what it is. The ground you have to cover to reach your potential is what it is.

A more realistic race video would show a $100 bill waiting for each contestant who crosses the finish line. That, however, makes for a less dramatic presentation (and I would argue for one that has less implied hyperbole).

FWIW.

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
Thanks again for posting this. As I said previously I think this is a powerful presentation, but even from the first time I watched it there was something that bothered me about it, and I didn’t put my finger on what it was until this morning.

For openers, I’ll acknowledge this is a subtle point, and it’s probably something that was not intentionally done by its authors. But the race for the $100 bill perpetuates a misconception of the economy that I find all too common on the left, i.e. that the economy and wealth creation is a zero sum game, and that the poor are poor because the rich got theirs first and have left nothing behind.

In this video we see some contestants with a headstart, and I think we can agree that’s a fair representation of real life for all the reasons given. The race metaphor breaks down in a big way, however, with message that only the winner(s) get to grab the prize, in this case a $100 bill, and by the time those who are disadvantaged cross the finish line there’s no prize waiting for them. That’s simply not reality. Neither Bill Gates earning his billions nor your lily white high school friend from the well-to-do family scoring a partnership with a big firm impact your potential earnings in any way. Your potential is what it is. The ground you have to cover to reach your potential is what it is.

A more realistic race video would show a $100 bill waiting for each contestant who crosses the finish line. That, however, makes for a less dramatic presentation (and I would argue for one that has less implied hyperbole).

FWIW.
That's fair. Perhaps a fair representation would be if there were 100 racers and first place got $100, second place got $99, etc. That would depict, fairly IMO, that everyone can be rewarded for their effort (running in this case) but some people are given head starts and have an easier road to more success.

You're correct though that this would lower the "impact" of the video

PS I love towards the end of the video when the teacher just flat out says "these black dudes." I mean we all know that's what the video is REALLY trying to get across, but this isn't a video specifically about race relations and I think it cheapens it JUST a bit.

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
Who should have sued?
The doctor who only knew that the apartment had already been rented?

The Rental Agent who depended on small landlords for listings?

Who would they have sued, a landlord with 4 or less units for rent is exempt from the provisions of the Fair Housing Act.

Or maybe they could have sued the Doctor for dressing in a manner that the landlord found repellent......

Oh, now it's a landlord w/ four or so units, and she is a rental agent who just depends on these small landlord. Your story keeps getting better.

Now it sounds as if your friend was in fact compliant in being a racist gatekeeper. Great friends you keep.

Must be something to the racist leftists theory.

SMH

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
I will jump in with another one...

A handful of years ago a (then) friend of mine shared with me that he was working as a waiter in a diner when a black woman walked in and handed her resume to the manger. He graciously accepted it and told her he would give it to the owner and then threw it in the garbage after she left. The manager told my friend (who is white) that they don't hire black people.

Another situation that had happened quite a number of years before that happened when I was pregnant with my younger daughter. I walked into a radiology place for an ultrasound, and the secretary handed me the paperwork for welfare mothers. I politely handed it back and informed her that I had insurance but I watched her as she gave out paperwork to women that came after me. She did it by color.
Yeah, that shit used to happen all of the time. I used to deal w/ shit like that when i was younger. I was bitching about it at a family reunion. My uncle looked over at me and said something along the lines of "get a haircut and dress like an adult" its true.

When i waited tables and a group of 20 somethings would come in dressed like gangsters, talking loudly, swearing and generally being rude we would watch them like hawks. Not because of the color of their skin but because people that dress and act like that have a very, very high rate of walking out ob their tabs. It is the same for loss prevention.

Saying it is racist is a bit disingenuous IMO

Racist people exist but more often it is a stereotype that exists in reality for a reason.

If there is a mini van/suv driving all fucked up in front of me. All slow weaving in and out of its lane exc. There is an 80% probability that it is a white soccer mom or a Muslim woman. Just like if the left lane is running slow it is a prius or a jacked up truck holding up traffc.

We are hardwired to recognize patterns and use that pattern recognition to navigate through our lives.

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
HERE we go with the work ethic and those lazy-good-for-nothings. Here are a few statistics: Medicaid (15.3 percent) and SNAP (13.4 percent). Just 4.2 percent of the population received housing assistance in a given month in 2012, just 3 % received SSI.
Those are the categories for "welfare". Medicaid recipients are children, pregnant women, the disabled and the elderly.
44% of SNAP recipients are children in single-parent households. Housing recipients are elderly and households with (again) children and single parents.
Now what were you saying about lazy? Work ethic?
Single mothers.

Thanks Clara

Single mothers

Feb 2007
New York
Yeah, that shit used to happen all of the time. I used to deal w/ shit like that when i was younger. I was bitching about it at a family reunion. My uncle looked over at me and said something along the lines of "get a haircut and dress like an adult" its true.

When i waited tables and a group of 20 somethings would come in dressed like gangsters, talking loudly, swearing and generally being rude we would watch them like hawks. Not because of the color of their skin but because people that dress and act like that have a very, very high rate of walking out ob their tabs. It is the same for loss prevention.

Saying it is racist is a bit disingenuous IMO

Racist people exist but more often it is a stereotype that exists in reality for a reason.

If there is a mini van/suv driving all fucked up in front of me. All slow weaving in and out of its lane exc. There is an 80% probability that it is a white soccer mom or a Muslim woman. Just like if the left lane is running slow it is a prius or a jacked up truck holding up traffc.

We are hardwired to recognize patterns and use that pattern recognition to navigate through our lives.
Did I mention the way I was dressed? Did I mention the way that the woman seeking the job was dressed? Interesting that you made the assumption about presentation. That day I was wearing a maternity blouse and pants wore my hair in a long bob and a WEDDING RING like every other soccer mom that walked in.

Basically, it seems that you find being racist to be perfectly acceptable instead of judging a person based on who that person is. There is a very big difference between recognizing a pattern and having the cognitive ability to not judge people based on the expectations of that pattern.

Feb 2007
New York

FWIW.
A better realistic race would be a graded prize ($5-$100) based on how far each person was able to travel in five minutes or ten. Those with the head starts would have a much higher percentage with high prizes while the rest would be stuck with mediocre or low prizes. THAT would be a better economic representation of what happens in this country.