Is Poverty in Black America More the Product of Racism or Culture?

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
It may be 2018, but remember that there are MANY people (my parents generation) living that grew up in Jim Crow and/or were taught the attitudes that come along with Jim Crow; not all of those people lived in the South. That 'invalidation of humanness' Is a generational wound that is still affecting our society today. Many children of color are growing up in environments where they are getting the very clear message that there are no opportunities and their lives will be the same as what they see around them. This is also true of many white children as well (think Appalachia, for example) and you see the same behaviors such as giving up on school, having children young etc. Racism does breed poverty to some extent but poverty breeds poverty more readily.

Ultimately, the majority of Black Americans DO NOT live in poverty. The size of the middle class is about the same, percentage-wise, as the rest of America. There is definitely a gap between what a middle class white family is making and a middle class black family, but there are many reasons for that (racism can be one). It is a known issue that having a black ethnic sounding name lessens the likelihood of getting callbacks for job interviews, for example.

Now who are you making responsible for helping these young Americans make better choices? The parents who have already not made good choices? The schools? The young teens (who, by nature, don't generally make good choices)?

And here we gave an upsurge of racist propaganda being pushed by the media, attempting to create a new victim mentality. Coincidentally it is coming when generation of children are completely removed from any of that.

This is cultural Marxism

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
Did I mention the way I was dressed? Did I mention the way that the woman seeking the job was dressed? Interesting that you made the assumption about presentation. That day I was wearing a maternity blouse and pants wore my hair in a long bob and a WEDDING RING like every other soccer mom that walked in.

Basically, it seems that you find being racist to be perfectly acceptable instead of judging a person based on who that person is. There is a very big difference between recognizing a pattern and having the cognitive ability to not judge people based on the expectations of that pattern.

No, i mentioned earlier that how one is dressed plays a significant role.

Dec 2018
New England
A better realistic race would be a graded prize ($5-$100) based on how far each person was able to travel in five minutes or ten. Those with the head starts would have a much higher percentage with high prizes while the rest would be stuck with mediocre or low prizes. THAT would be a better economic representation of what happens in this country.
I don’t think anyone is saying that those with a headstart won’t go farther. Tutors, private schools, elite colleges, trust funds, etc. all propel those who have those opportunities (and also work hard) farther.

The question here is not can John Brown make the same $400k yearly salary as his similarly talented friend John White or merely $350k, it’s in 2018 can racism be overcome to a point where someone has a fair chance of being not poor (I know that wasn’t the gist of the video, but it is the gist of this thread).

I do find the “racisms exist therefore no other solutions make sense” logic I so often hear from the left to be, well, nonsensical. (I’m not saying this is your position; just making a general comment.)

Apr 2013
La La Land North
And here we gave an upsurge of racist propaganda being pushed by the media, attempting to create a new victim mentality. Coincidentally it is coming when generation of children are completely removed from any of that.

This is cultural Marxism
That's what Steve King believes, anyway.

Dec 2015
Arizona
This video isn't about racism, but it demonstrates the differences in culture/wealth advantages and disadvantages. The Haves and the Have-nots. See what you think. It's called the Homework Gap, but the message goes much deeper.

Jul 2018
Trump World! Where the circus is always in town.
Yes, I understand why those behaviors tend one toward poverty and I understand the consequences of those choices are indepedent of race. I suspect you cannot say the same.
not what I asked and I don't need you being a wise ass

You either don't understand or refuse the truth to support agenda.

Frankly I don't care which you are. You are a waste.

Jul 2018
Earth
Product of welfare.. One of the best things of my Childhood was I had 2 parents Mother Got up in the morning went to work in Retail.. My Father worked Nights as a Firefighter on an Air Force Base, My Grandfather owned 3 Grocery Stores, all got up and went to work every day.

Our family also owned a small Family farm and I was required to work on the farm... I learned Work Ethic and the value of a pay check.

Now Generational welfare is not limited to the African American Community, this is a problem in the family trees of everyone that is on welfare for a prolonged period..

This is why I support more of a Workfare system.
Cotton pickers?

Jul 2018
Trump World! Where the circus is always in town.

This is cultural Marxism
And here I thought the right had a lock on victimization propaganda. ;)

Jul 2018
Earth
Yeah, that shit used to happen all of the time. I used to deal w/ shit like that when i was younger. I was bitching about it at a family reunion. My uncle looked over at me and said something along the lines of "get a haircut and dress like an adult" its true.

When i waited tables and a group of 20 somethings would come in dressed like gangsters, talking loudly, swearing and generally being rude we would watch them like hawks. Not because of the color of their skin but because people that dress and act like that have a very, very high rate of walking out ob their tabs. It is the same for loss prevention.

Saying it is racist is a bit disingenuous IMO

Racist people exist but more often it is a stereotype that exists in reality for a reason.

If there is a mini van/suv driving all fucked up in front of me. All slow weaving in and out of its lane exc. There is an 80% probability that it is a white soccer mom or a Muslim woman. Just like if the left lane is running slow it is a prius or a jacked up truck holding up traffc.OK, so how

We are hardwired to recognize patterns and use that pattern recognition to navigate through our lives.
OK, so how many sterotypical mannerisms do you display in your daily activities based upon your niche in your specific ethnic group?

Jul 2014
massachusetts
Oh, now it's a landlord w/ four or so units, and she is a rental agent who just depends on these small landlord. Your story keeps getting better.

Now it sounds as if your friend was in fact compliant in being a racist gatekeeper. Great friends you keep.

Must be something to the racist leftists theory.

SMH
And yet it's true, every word.