Is Poverty in Black America More the Product of Racism or Culture?

Dec 2018
New England
This video isn't about racism, but it demonstrates the differences in culture/wealth advantages and disadvantages. The Haves and the Have-nots. See what you think. It's called the Homework Gap, but the message goes much deeper.

That's the single biggest reason I support charter schools, Clara'. In my state they narrow the gap between the haves and have nots.

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
I'm sure you consider her a race traitor for reporting reality.

How could i. You never mentioned her race. Plus you never mentioned anything about reporting. In fact you implied just the opposite. Had she used this knowledge you claimed she had to be a whistle blower those people that you alleged she illegally refused housing to (for profit of her own) she could have been witness for a class action suit against these landlords. But nope, she kept on w/ her shitty sekf.

I do know you have stated that she makes her living off of imposing illegal, racist, back ally restrictions on people. That's evil.

Great circle of friends.

Jul 2014
massachusetts
How could i. You never mentioned her race. Plus you never mentioned anything about reporting. In fact you implied just the opposite. Had she used this knowledge you claimed she had to be a whistle blower those people that you alleged she illegally refused housing to (for profit of her own) she could have been witness for a class action suit against these landlords. But nope, she kept on w/ her shitty sekf.

I do know you have stated that she makes her living off of imposing illegal, racist, back ally restrictions on people. That's evil.

Great circle of friends.
No wonder you don't believe in science, I never mentioned her race?
Really, you could read that story and imagine her as a black woman?

I presented that story as an example of discrimination in housing, which is not based on how a person dresses, but on skin color.
There is a ton of evidence that there is discrimination based on race, I related an anecdote.
And you try to dismiss the whole thing, you try to say that there is no discrimination that is race based, it's all based on behavior, if "those people" just got their act together, they'd be fine.

She reported the incident to me, there is no legal recourse, Fair Housing doesn't apply to small landlords, and even the big landlords like Fred Trump could tie up a case in court and settle for next to nothing.
She had a business and she did what made sense for her business.

The point is, there is still plenty of discrimination in our American Society, the president appeals to racists, did you notice that?

Sep 2015
Brown Township, Ohio
First off, fucking bravo. That’s perfectly summarized. Amazing how the truth is often in the middle and no one wants to fucking talking about it. Two things can be true at the same time.

Secondly, this gets into populism 101. Everyone is trying to find a reason there life isn’t the way they want it to be and populism provides that answer. On the left: it’s not your fault. Your oppressed by a racist, sexist, rigged system that is trying to keep you down. On the right: it’s not your fault. The government is taking all your money and the people who don’t look like you are taking the jobs. It’s hyperbolic nonsense that take fractions of truth and amplify them for anyone who wants an excuse for their life.

Sometimes the reality is yes, the system has set up hurdles that other people don’t have to go over. But sometimes the answer is understanding your the only one who can jump over those hurdles.
BZ aka Bravo Zulu, job well done!

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons

I presented that story as an example of discrimination in housing, which is not based on how a person dresses, but on skin color.
There is a ton of evidence that there is discrimination based on race, I related an anecdote.
And you try to dismiss the whole thing, you try to say that there is no discrimination that is race based, it's all based on behavior, if "those people" just got their act together, they'd be fine.

She reported the incident to me, there is no legal recourse, Fair Housing doesn't apply to small landlords, and even the big landlords like Fred Trump could tie up a case in court and settle for next to nothing.

The point is, there is still plenty of discrimination in our American Society, the president appeals to racists, did you notice that?

And your friends profit from it apparently. Maybe you should be lecturing them at your next clan rally instead of virtue singling on here

May 2018
Chicago

I've brought this up before after realizing just what friends of mine go through on a regular basis. We like to think we have all moved past racism after the 60s, but we haven't as much as we might like to think we have. I have black friends who, if they are alone, will not walk on the same side of the street as a young white girl for fear of making her uncomfortable. They will fill their gas tanks full beforehand on long trips to avoid having to stop for gas in certain states. They will only go in certain retail stores if accompanied by white friends.

I asked why. They have all said, "it's not worth the risk if somebody decides they have it out for you, or want to blame their shit on someone else. You're a stranger and a black man- easy target and easy to blame for anything. One little thing goes wrong and you end up in jail for not doing anything."

That is disgusting that American citizens have to feel that cautious. The sad thing is, they're right. That is sadly, reality. Overcoming that kind of BS works for the extremely talented like say, Michael Jordan. It does not work for the average black guy. That's not just a hurdle, it's a massive wall that they have to deal with.

We have got to start acknowledging that this still goes on and then we have to start working to eradicate it.

Last edited: